• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
amato

NHL considering ban on spin-o-rama in shootout..

Rate this topic

A. No way Bettman could balance 5 plates, and

B. He would drop plates on purpose in order to influence who wins.

Just sayin'.

Nah, he'd relocate 3 of the plates to 'better markets' and then be forced to have the NHL own the other 2 while searching for a 'suitable buyer'.

scrap the shootout...

5 minutes of 4 on 4

followed by

5 minutes of 3 on 3.

No goals? End it in a tie!

Not really sure how 3 on 3 hockey is any better than a shootout? Also, nothing is more satisfying after watching 60+ minutes of competition than to end it in a tie. Sort of...uncompetitive...doncha think?

Edited by kipwinger

How about keep the shootout format, but instead of it being a penalty shot, have 2 d-men and the goalie on one side and 3 forwards on the other. The forwards enter the zone, the d can't steal the puck-only block shots, and the play ends when either a goal is scored or the goalie covers the puck.

Kind of a team shootout, with no time for a spin-o-rama.

This is ridiculous. Just eliminate the shootout, make it 10 minute 4 vs 4 overtime and bring back the tie. No points for going into overtime and losing. STOP REWARDING TEAMS WITH A POINT FOR LOSING!

And STILL, and this really bothers me, we have an icing rule that causes injuries and it remains so. Get your priorities straight NHL, Ban the spin-o-rama, I mean seriously?

How about keep the shootout format, but instead of it being a penalty shot, have 2 d-men and the goalie on one side and 3 forwards on the other. The forwards enter the zone, the d can't steal the puck-only block shots, and the play ends when either a goal is scored or the goalie covers the puck.

Kind of a team shootout, with no time for a spin-o-rama.

Bert will find time.

This is ridiculous. Just eliminate the shootout, make it 10 minute 4 vs 4 overtime and bring back the tie. No points for going into overtime and losing. STOP REWARDING TEAMS WITH A POINT FOR LOSING!

And STILL, and this really bothers me, we have an icing rule that causes injuries and it remains so. Get your priorities straight NHL, Ban the spin-o-rama, I mean seriously?

THIS.

That's always bothered me.. too bad they won't get rid of it. the playoff race is always so tight near the #6-8 spot because of the point for loses. This gets the nhl more viewers/better tv ratings.. I don't see them getting rid of that.

also I did hear somewhere that they are considering some sort of hybrid icing rule.

Shouldn't ban it, but should require special "I've been trained on how to properly execute a spin-o-rama" card

I love this for the new NHL. You have to qualify for certain licenses to do things! We could get hitting licenses and players must pass a course but the license can be taken away if an illegal hit is given for 30 days.

Simple Solution

Continuous OT.

Is there anyone watching the post season OT hockey going on and saying to themselves:

"hmm this is getting old, you know what would make this better, a shootout!"

No 3 point games, stop watering down team's records with artificial points to fake parity!

Win or Lose that is it.

Play 4 OTs and have a game the next night, oops, unlucky for you.

Would you rather have had a skills competition decide the game?

Not really sure how 3 on 3 hockey is any better than a shootout? Also, nothing is more satisfying after watching 60+ minutes of competition than to end it in a tie. Sort of...uncompetitive...doncha think?

I understand your point, but think about what you're saying: 3 on 3 seems ridiculous to you, and yet...it still involves teamwork, live action goaltending (instead of set pieces), passing, strategy, and (wait for it...) DEFENSE! How could any configuration of live hockey action be less "hockey-like" than the shootout?

I liken the shootout to free throws in basketball, yet, strangely, NBA fans just readily accept that guys throw themselves into traffic with no real plan as to how they will score, and are rewarded with a stoppage in action and two unopposed shots at the net.

The argument I hear in favor of the shootout is that Bettman wanted shootouts because ties are unpopular in American sports, and because he wanted certainty that all games would fit into a 3-hour window. While the latter goal is desirable, that's a straw man argument because shootouts actually make the game LONGER than they were before. We had 5 minute OT followed by a tie before - now we have 5 minute OT followed by Zamboni followed by shootouts that can extend even longer than 3 rounds if its tied.

4 on 4 OT doesn't necessarily create more scoring, but that's because the goalies are so good nowadays. It does create more action, however - OT hockey is great! I'd like to see 3 on 3 tested out somewhere - the chances of an odd man rush become so much greater because if just one dude wipes out in the other end, there's going to be a scoring chance.

Also, NHL games do still end in ties, we just don't call it that. Teams play for that single point by tightening up at the end of the 3rd. Once secured, they open things up in overtime, but no matter what happens in OT or the shootout, you're still giving a point to the other team for the "tie". Neither team wins the team in regulation, but one point is awarded to each team for the "tie", and an additional point is awarded to the team that prevails in a 5-minute mini-game or the skills competition (SO).

It'd be one thing if eliminating ties resulted in a simple W/L record and uniform standings (like in baseball). But it really doesn't simplify things at all - teams have a complicated 3-part record, and then an additional points total that actually determines their place. The elimination of the term "tie" was basically semantic, kind of like making a golf course "harder" by shifting the definition of "par" to require fewer strokes.

Edited by StormJH1

As others have mentioned, that's inevitably what will happen when you create an artificial situation that decides games. Players will push the boundaries as far as they can, so it's going to get into more hairsplitting with the rules.

Banning the spin-o-rama was a necessary step. The players were coming to a complete stop, running into the goalie, and jamming the puck home.

I can't see them getting rid of the shootout anytime soon but a shot clock situation wouldn't be bad. Or starting a player from the other team a certain distance behind to chase the shooter down.

Guest The Axe

As others have mentioned, that's inevitably what will happen when you create an artificial situation that decides games. Players will push the boundaries as far as they can, so it's going to get into more hairsplitting with the rules.

Banning the spin-o-rama was a necessary step. The players were coming to a complete stop, running into the goalie, and jamming the puck home.

I can't see them getting rid of the shootout anytime soon but a shot clock situation wouldn't be bad. Or starting a player from the other team a certain distance behind to chase the shooter down.

That would be cool!