Photo
- - - - -

NHL considering ban on spin-o-rama in shootout..

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Its a team sport - individuals should not decide the fate of the game at the end. It favours teams that are built on skill rather than grittiness and teams that have amazing goaltenders rather than great team defense to prevent goals. I bet you could use stats and predict fairly effectively the efficiency of teams in shootouts.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#22 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've always thought OT should be decided by 5 on 5 street hockey in the parking lot.  First team to ten wins, win by 2.   :cheesy:  (man, the offseason is boring before July)

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#23 Aznknight

Aznknight

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:51 PM

I say they have a fightout. Two, one minute bouts. That's 1/2 of a point and shootouts is another 1/2.
Both teams have to pick the fighters AND the shooters.
So if we play the hawks babcock can pick Kane to fight and quenville will maybe pick datsyuk.

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Really?  What next?  NHL bans coloured mouthguards?  I agree with whomever it was back there who said, "Just let 'em play."

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

I love the shootout but hate the spinorama.  Not too disappointed if this happens, but would hate to see the SO go.  Who doesn't like watching Pav undress goalies after a grueling 60 minutes?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

Shouldn't ban it, but should require special "I've been trained on how to properly execute a spin-o-rama" card

#27 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

A. No way Bettman could balance 5 plates, and
B. He would drop plates on purpose in order to influence who wins.

Just sayin'.

Nah, he'd relocate 3 of the plates to 'better markets' and then be forced to have the NHL own the other 2 while searching for a 'suitable buyer'. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#28 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

scrap the shootout...

5 minutes of 4 on 4

followed by

5 minutes of 3 on 3.

No goals? End it in a tie! 

#29 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Can we instead do the logical move and just ban the stupid skills competition altogether?

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#30 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

scrap the shootout...

5 minutes of 4 on 4

followed by

5 minutes of 3 on 3.

No goals? End it in a tie! 

Not really sure how 3 on 3 hockey is any better than a shootout?  Also, nothing is more satisfying after watching 60+ minutes of competition than to end it in a tie.  Sort of...uncompetitive...doncha think?

Edited by kipwinger, 20 June 2013 - 09:43 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#31 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

Dumb. 

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

How about keep the shootout format, but instead of it being a penalty shot, have 2 d-men and the goalie on one side and 3 forwards on the other.  The forwards enter the zone, the d can't steal the puck-only block shots, and the play ends when either a goal is scored or the goalie covers the puck.

Kind of a team shootout, with no time for a spin-o-rama.

#33 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:27 AM

This is ridiculous. Just eliminate the shootout, make it 10 minute 4 vs 4 overtime and bring back the tie. No points for going into overtime and losing. STOP REWARDING TEAMS WITH A POINT FOR LOSING!

And STILL, and this really bothers me, we have an icing rule that causes injuries and it remains so. Get your priorities straight NHL, Ban the spin-o-rama, I mean seriously?

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#34 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:31 AM

How about keep the shootout format, but instead of it being a penalty shot, have 2 d-men and the goalie on one side and 3 forwards on the other.  The forwards enter the zone, the d can't steal the puck-only block shots, and the play ends when either a goal is scored or the goalie covers the puck.

Kind of a team shootout, with no time for a spin-o-rama.

Bert will find time.

This is ridiculous. Just eliminate the shootout, make it 10 minute 4 vs 4 overtime and bring back the tie. No points for going into overtime and losing. STOP REWARDING TEAMS WITH A POINT FOR LOSING!

And STILL, and this really bothers me, we have an icing rule that causes injuries and it remains so. Get your priorities straight NHL, Ban the spin-o-rama, I mean seriously?

THIS.

That's always bothered me.. too bad they won't get rid of it. the playoff race is always so tight near the #6-8 spot because of the point for loses. This gets the nhl more viewers/better tv ratings.. I don't see them getting rid of that.

also I did hear somewhere that they are considering some sort of hybrid icing rule.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

Putting a restriction on this gimmick only draws more attention to how ridiculous the original idea is.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Shouldn't ban it, but should require special "I've been trained on how to properly execute a spin-o-rama" card

I love this for the new NHL. You have to qualify for certain licenses to do things! We could get hitting licenses and players must pass a course but the license can be taken away if an illegal hit is given for 30 days.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#37 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Simple Solution

Continuous OT.

Is there anyone watching the post season OT hockey going on and saying to themselves:

"hmm this is getting old, you know what would make this better, a shootout!"

No 3 point games, stop watering down team's records with artificial points to fake parity!

Win or Lose that is it.

Play 4 OTs and have a game the next night, oops, unlucky for you.

Would you rather have had a skills competition decide the game?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#38 Wing-in-avs-town

Wing-in-avs-town

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Easy fix: 10 seconds to make one shot of any kind. No restrictions or super technical rules.

Great, the NHL needs a shot clock now :wacko:   

Just get rid of the shoot out please!!!

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the 2nd mouse that gets the cheese.

#39 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

Not really sure how 3 on 3 hockey is any better than a shootout?  Also, nothing is more satisfying after watching 60+ minutes of competition than to end it in a tie.  Sort of...uncompetitive...doncha think?

I understand your point, but think about what you're saying: 3 on 3 seems ridiculous to you, and yet...it still involves teamwork, live action goaltending (instead of set pieces), passing, strategy, and (wait for it...) DEFENSE!  How could any configuration of live hockey action be less "hockey-like" than the shootout?

I liken the shootout to free throws in basketball, yet, strangely, NBA fans just readily accept that guys throw themselves into traffic with no real plan as to how they will score, and are rewarded with a stoppage in action and two unopposed shots at the net.

The argument I hear in favor of the shootout is that Bettman wanted shootouts because ties are unpopular in American sports, and because he wanted certainty that all games would fit into a 3-hour window.  While the latter goal is desirable, that's a straw man argument because shootouts actually make the game LONGER than they were before.  We had 5 minute OT followed by a tie before - now we have 5 minute OT followed by Zamboni followed by shootouts that can extend even longer than 3 rounds if its tied.

4 on 4 OT doesn't necessarily create more scoring, but that's because the goalies are so good nowadays.  It does create more action, however - OT hockey is great!  I'd like to see 3 on 3 tested out somewhere - the chances of an odd man rush become so much greater because if just one dude wipes out in the other end, there's going to be a scoring chance.

#40 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Also, NHL games do still end in ties, we just don't call it that.  Teams play for that single point by tightening up at the end of the 3rd.  Once secured, they open things up in overtime, but no matter what happens in OT or the shootout, you're still giving a point to the other team for the "tie".  Neither team wins the team in regulation, but one point is awarded to each team for the "tie", and an additional point is awarded to the team that prevails in a 5-minute mini-game or the skills competition (SO).

It'd be one thing if eliminating ties resulted in a simple W/L record and uniform standings (like in baseball).  But it really doesn't simplify things at all - teams have a complicated 3-part record, and then an additional points total that actually determines their place.  The elimination of the term "tie" was basically semantic, kind of like making a golf course "harder" by shifting the definition of "par" to require fewer strokes.

Edited by StormJH1, 21 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.