• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BleedRed&White25

Avs passing on Jones?

Rate this topic

Just saw this on TSN. Apparently Sakic said that they were going to pass on Jones.

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards,"Sakic told the Denver Post.

From the way the media kept bringing up Popeye and talking up Seth, I thought that Jones going to Colorado was as much as a sure thing as Crosby going to Pit.

Discuss

Sauce:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425825

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=425894

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_23489308/avalanche-pass-seth-jones-take-forward-joe-sakic

"We feel those three forwards are just too good to pass up." Sakic said.

I think they take MacKinnon over Drouin and Barkov if this is indeed true.

EDIT: Woops. Someone already created a thread if mods want to delete this one.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I honestly just don't get it at all... unless they're trying to farm offers for the 1st overall pick. They must really think Barrie, Siemens and Elliott are going to pan out, because half of their defense corps screams "AHL" to me.

Guest Crymson

The Avs have an awful defensive corps right now, and that EJ trade is up there with the Neal trade for worst in the post-lockout era.

I think they pick him. I do believe this is out there for trade speculation. Imagine you're a team looking to trade up to #2 or #3 for Mac or Drouin, and all of a sudden the Avalanche are talking about taking someone other than Jones there at #1. What do you do? If you're completely sold on a particular player, do you hedge the farm?

I think it's a bunch of smokescreen, but we'll see. Everyone had Luke Joeckel pegged #1 for the NFL Draft and suddenly things changed as the draft got closer. You never know.

I call bulls*** on this one. Aves are posturing to suggest that teams in the 2-4 slots need to trade up to get their guy (most are looking for forwards). Aves dream scenario would be trade down to No.2 and take Jones there plus the assets they get in the trade.

Also the NHL loves to have curiosity surrounding the draft so I can see them just hyping up a pick that seemed a forgone conclusion.

My guess-trying to drive up the price for a trade. If the Aves still pick 1st and they don't take Jones, Sakic should be fired within 5 mins. he is the highest rated player and their D sucks. match made in heaven. Now if their BL was loaded, that would be different.

I can't recall where I read it over the past few days, but he also went on to say, that with the buyouts for cap compliance, that he feels that they will be able to address their defensive needs through free agency. I'm not sure who he has in mind, that may be getting bought out, but I'm sure that an underperforming, overpaid, defenseman that needs a change of scenery will become available that he feels will work, somewhere. They do have quite a bit of cap room to make a nice offer. Of course, he could also be trying to up the ante on draft picks.