• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

@TheoFleury14: Picture of where the water is at the Saddledome! Wow shocking http://t.co/qgrvkJIlsR

Edit: another pic...

@NHLFlames: Flooding goes to row 8 in the Scotiabank Saddledome #yycflood #yyc http://t.co/ARd2yseLJO

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 22 June 2013 - 06:07 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#22 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I wonder if this is just God's way of saying that there's too much diving in the NHL nowadays. The way teams like Sharks and Canucks play you'd think their arenas were flooded too.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |

#23 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,869 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

983581_557362680969306_1435904466_n.jpg

#24 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

A comment from a Puck Daddy story about the Saddledome being ready for the beginning of next season:

Dozens of fans could be disappointed if they don't get it done in time.

Edited by MidMichSteve, 23 June 2013 - 07:49 AM.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#25 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

This flooding has been crazy. I'm 4 hours away but there's been flooding from Calgary all the way to Sparwood and all the rivers are dangerously high here. A lot of my friends were put out of their homes. Very sad.
In regards to Saddledome and the stampede grounds this is a huge blow to Calgary. Stampede brings in millions of dollars to the city and it was supposed to start two weeks from now.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hope the rivers are going down soon so the people can get back into their hopefully undamaged homes.

Flames GM already warned people to not enter the building.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#27 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

@Mookalicious: I am blown away by this. The Dome has pumped out every drop of water!! #abflood! http://t.co/kbPUZbWzim

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#28 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

editorial_cartoon_june_25_2013.jpg.size.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#29 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

We could really use some of that water here in CO.  We've got 7 active wildfires going right now, two others were just contained this past week.  Too bad it can't be transported.  I feel bad for them.  Disasters are no picnic.

I'm pretty sure the military has 1500 troops that went there to help with flood relief and what not.  I flew through Calgary on my way to the base in Comox last monday, a couple days before the flood hit.  That could have been messy.  Not sure if the airport got hit, but some flights there had some extra time in the sky circling and what not.  Hopefully they get everything sorted out quick there and the people of Calgary get their lives back on track. 

On a less serious note, with the horrendous team they have this coming season, I can't see the Saddlesome getting much more full than 10 rows.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,943 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

@Mookalicious: I am blown away by this. The Dome has pumped out every drop of water!! #abflood! http://t.co/kbPUZbWzim

That's going to take some clean-up effort.  Yuck.

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I've heard of unusual amount of rain in Pennsylvania. Does anybody know if mario house is anywhere close to some river?...

We've been getting thunderstorms basically every evening for the past 400 days. It's like Florida weather. Hot, humid, wonderful, unbearable, then it rains. A lot.

But I'm in Eastern PA, whereas the Pens are Western. I don't know how they're faring. I wish only bad things on them and their fans.

Sucks about Calgary. Never leave your jumbotron on the floor, I guess.

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard

#32 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Sucks about Calgary. Never leave your jumbotron on the floor, I guess.

Did it need to be fixed I wonder, be only reason you'd think it should be on the floor.

So how they plan on cleaning that mud up?

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#33 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

http://www.edmontonj...6205/story.html

Unreal.

Reminds me of that movie Hard Rain.

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard

#34 Jedi

Jedi

Ash nazg durbatulūk...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,828 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Update I saw on Puck Daddy.  Looks like the Saddledome is nearly ready to go...

http://www.calgaryhe...6210/story.html

Technically, the first tenants are The Eagles on Sept. 11.

But a few days later, on Sept. 14 when the Calgary Flames host the Edmonton Oilers, the Scotiabank Saddledome will officially be back in business.

About seventy-five days ago, the entire building had been under 10 feet of water when Calgary and southern Alberta were hit with intense flooding. Everything from Row 8 of the lower bowl had been destroyed. Anything with soft surfaces including around 2,500 seats — gone. Compressors that run the ice plant? Gone. Electrical equipment — also gone. Training equipment, jerseys, hockey gear, team memorabilia couldn’t be salvaged. Silt and muddy water was everywhere.

Blanchard said a redesign would have taken months longer. So, the contractors arrived and the work started before they had construction work permits or plans in place. All of it equated to 69 days straight of two shifts of 12 hours (with 300-400 workers during the day; 150-200 at night).

“We compressed a six-month job into two months,” Blanchard said. “There were about 650,000-man hours put in on this project in two months ... I’m surprised we’re at the level we’re at right now. I knew we’d be able to put on events, concerts and hockey. But to have the level of finishing we have now, I didn’t think that was possible.

It makes for a good read, to hear how bad it was, and how far they've come in such a short timeframe.

andurilbigborder.png
"From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"

#35 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,825 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Interesting how this was resurrected...Just posted a comment on the Brian Burke thread a few minutes ago about the flooding...

EDIT - awesome job by the Saddledome employees, and everyone else who helped with the clean up, and repairs :clap:

Edited by F.Michael, 06 September 2013 - 05:01 PM.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#36 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I was thinking of updating this earlier. I saw a couple of full-size pics of the inside, when the water was up to the tenth row. For whatever reasons, I'd never seen the pics @ full size. Amazing stuff, and somehow more "real," I feel, for having been taken with a cell phone (or some manner of fairly inexpensive camera).