• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Canucks need a coach to get the team to live up to their talent level and win clutch games, so they hired the coach of the Rangers??

The best part of this move is Luongo's response on twitter:

Strombone @strombone1 15h

I'M WILLING TO STAY, BE THE BACK UP AND PLAY FOR FREE IF THEY LET ME SIT IN AT EVERY TORTS PRESSER! #MAN #MYTH #LEGEND

#22 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Going to be hard to gauge because of realignment.  If there was no realignment, you can compare to previous year and say it was AV or Torts.  But now that there is tougher competition and if Vancouver drops 15-20 pts in the standings ... is it the coach or is it a dose of reality and a true reflection of the Canucks in a tougher division.  Regardless, the coach swapping is certainly intriguing.  Has that ever happened in the NHL where coaches were traded one for one?  

#23 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Ruff is/was a better fit for Vancouver imho.Anyway,it's gonna be the fun to watch the Coach's Corner next season with Torts in Vancouver for sure :lol:

Edited by pucktividi, 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#24 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Vancouver already wasn't going to do as well the next season as previous ones due to the new alignment. The division they have been in is a joke.

As for all the players wanting trades, perhaps that is the plan, it seems half the damn team has no trade or no movement clauses.

Some are saying though that this is a decision by Gillis to deflect attention from himself. Come the regular season no one is gonna even mention his name.... we will be to busy with Torts.

#25 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

Some are saying though that this is a decision by Gillis to deflect attention from himself. Come the regular season no one is gonna even mention his name.... we will be to busy with Torts.

Since you are in 604 as well, then you probably read all the rumours that this is more of an ownership hiring and not Gillis' style.  He seems to be more of the John Stevens type.  One never knows when it comes to these things.  Gillis should have been fired already if you ask me.  

#26 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:30 AM

I really thought Boucher or Stevens wouldh ave been a perfect decision in Vancouver. Both stress defense something the high powered offensive Canucks are lacking. Certainly if this was an ownershop move, Gillis has to be on the hot seat right?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#27 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Ya I have heard that on the radio, also heard the way I mentioned. Either way I don't really care. Should be more interesting though if it happens. To my knowledge the hiring hasn't been actually confirmed yet.

Since you are in 604 as well, then you probably read all the rumours that this is more of an ownership hiring and not Gillis' style.  He seems to be more of the John Stevens type.  One never knows when it comes to these things.  Gillis should have been fired already if you ask me.  

#28 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

If the Canucks weren't already my most hated team they would have just claimed the title.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#29 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:17 AM

It actually might be what this team needs.  They've got all the skill in the world, but little toughness, and are chronic under achievers.  On a short term basis Torts might be able to light a fire under these guys.  I don't think it will work for them long term, but he could do like Ken Hitchcock did with St. Louis and get them playing up to their talent level for a couple years. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#30 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

It actually might be what this team needs.  They've got all the skill in the world, but little toughness, and are chronic under achievers.  On a short term basis Torts might be able to light a fire under these guys.  I don't think it will work for them long term, but he could do like Ken Hitchcock did with St. Louis and get them playing up to their talent level for a couple years. 

To me this sounds like a big gamble. The Canucks are an incredible talented offensive team so Tortarellas blocking shots - ???? - profit trible type of system won't work there. To me this just looks like Gillis is getting very desperate or the owners are already calling the shot and at that point we all know, which axe will come down next.

The expectations in Vancouver are through the roof, media attention is worse than in New York - they are the only hotstory 24/7 - and now you bring in a guy, who is known for blasting his players in the media AND starting wars with the media? This screams disaster.

kftx.jpg

#31 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

To me this sounds like a big gamble. The Canucks are an incredible talented offensive team so Tortarellas blocking shots - ???? - profit trible type of system won't work there. To me this just looks like Gillis is getting very desperate or the owners are already calling the shot and at that point we all know, which axe will come down next. The expectations in Vancouver are through the roof, media attention is worse than in New York - they are the only hotstory 24/7 - and now you bring in a guy, who is known for blasting his players in the media AND starting wars with the media? This screams disaster.

I agree, and I'm not even saying that was their thought process when hiring Torts.  I guess I"m more suggesting that the best case scenario for Vancouver is the situation I mentioned previously.  Worst case it's a huge failure.  Either way I don't really care, but I've always thought that Vancouver would perform a little better with a more hard nosed coach.  Torts fits that bill, in spite of his obvious shortcomings.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

I agree, and I'm not even saying that was their thought process when hiring Torts.  I guess I"m more suggesting that the best case scenario for Vancouver is the situation I mentioned previously.  Worst case it's a huge failure.  Either way I don't really care, but I've always thought that Vancouver would perform a little better with a more hard nosed coach.  Torts fits that bill, in spite of his obvious shortcomings.

Well for the other teams this could turn out well. According to some "Tweets" some Canuck players are already holding their breath and thats even before he has officially been named the new head-coach. To me this is a clear message, that some players don't want him as coach and aren't willing to play for him. If thats the case, I could easily see guys like Hamhuis, Kesler and Bieksa being available very soon.

If against all odds this is working out well, then the Canucks will be a force to fear again.

kftx.jpg

#33 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,549 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

@GinoRedaTSN: "This is the mess I put myself into, and it's a mess I need to get out of. But you know what? I'm a pretty good coach too."- Tortorella

@GinoRedaTSN: "I put a couple of players in bad situations. That's what hit home to me. It will be rectified."- Tortorella -Very real emotion

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#34 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

The choice seems so obviously and blatantly wrong to so many people that maybe the opposite of what we might expect would happen. 

#35 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

Canucks need a coach to get the team to live up to their talent level and win clutch games, so they hired the coach of the Rangers??

The best part of this move is Luongo's response on twitter:

Strombone ‏@strombone1 15h

I'M WILLING TO STAY, BE THE BACK UP AND PLAY FOR FREE IF THEY LET ME SIT IN AT EVERY TORTS PRESSER! #MAN #MYTH #LEGEND

My opinion of Luongo in the last year has changed dramatically. He's been the model of a professional throughout the whole Schneider fiasco, and has had some pretty hilarious tweets. Still loved his tweet that appeared right in the height of the goaltending controversy where when he could have complained about his mistreatment, he rather posted a picture of the toilet he used when he had an emergency bathroom situation during the 2007 Semi-Finals against the Ducks. 

Strombone ‏@strombone1

And this is where the magic happened...... #anaheim #playoffs2007 #squirts #�� pic.twitter.com/TZmjhnOJ

BBg-87jCQAAQ7Oe.jpg-large1.jpeg

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 26 June 2013 - 01:29 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#36 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

Torts did good for his first presser ... operative word, 'first'.  

#37 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:12 PM

There was a mighty fine interview by Michael Landsberg on TSN's OTR today.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,304 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

@GinoRedaTSN: "This is the mess I put myself into, and it's a mess I need to get out of. But you know what? I'm a pretty good coach too."- Tortorella

@GinoRedaTSN: "I put a couple of players in bad situations. That's what hit home to me. It will be rectified."- Tortorella -Very real emotion

What good is it if he realizes those things AFTER he's been fired?

The Canucks have about a season and a half to achieve something great with Tortorella.  That seems like his shelf life. 

#39 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

What good is it if he realizes those things AFTER he's been fired?

The Canucks have about a season and a half to achieve something great with Tortorella.  That seems like his shelf life. 

Maybe he's saying he's learned from his mistakes?

#40 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

He should learn how to deal with his players and don't handle them like idiots, babies. Media should be at best his second guess.

kftx.jpg