• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
pucktividi

Tsn:Off-Season Game Plan: Detroit Red Wings

Rate this topic

Guest Kronstantinov

20 goals for Sproul in 50 games as a D-man. Wowser!

2 years in a row and he missed a big chunk of last year with a broken arm would have probably scored more than 30.

This is the heart of it:

While trading prospects isn't typical of these Red Wings, there ought to be a sense of urgency here. There are only so many more great seasons left for Datsyuk and Zetterberg; it would be a shame not to provide the best possible supporting cast so that they have a chance to win it all again.

Holland certainly didn't have that sense of urgency regarding Lidstrom's retirement. Will he with Dats and Z? Or will he be content to tweak and keep the Wings good but not great, hoping Babcock and some younger players can pull off something special in the next couple seasons?

I believe was also voted best OHL Dman of the year this past season.

He was. His season was absolutely insane and looks like he has a bright future with us. That list has 3 D-men that have huge potential, mix that with what we already have I would say we are good with D-men for a while. 10 D-Men that have a possibility to be good players

I just hope Holland doesn't try to trade away some of these guys too prematurely.

Kronwall - Big E

Sproul - Ouellet

Backman - Dekeyser

Smith - Kindl

Quincey - Almquist

Disclaimer: These are not line combinations.

Guest The Axe

He was. His season was absolutely insane and looks like he has a bright future with us. That list has 3 D-men that have huge potential, mix that with what we already have I would say we are good with D-men for a while. 10 D-Men that have a possibility to be good players

I just hope Holland doesn't try to trade away some of these guys too prematurely.

Kronwall - Big E

Sproul - Ouellet

Backman - Dekeyser

Smith - Kindl

Quincey - Almquist

Disclaimer: These are not line combinations.

See why I want to move Rig and Smith up front?

See why I want to move Rig and Smith up front?

Not really...Half those guys haven't even played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL.

I think you hugely underestimate the difficulty in moving from defence to forward and vice-versa.

Not to mention our forward depth is excellent as well. Just a little undersized.

Guest The Axe

Not really...Half those guys haven't even played a game in the AHL let alone the NHL.

I think you hugely underestimate the difficulty in moving from defence to forward and vice-versa.

Not to mention our forward depth is excellent as well. Just a little undersized.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Ericsson

Franzen-Helm-Smith

Tatar-Andersson-Nyquist

Miller-Emmerton-Abdelkader

Tootoo-Shehan

Kronwall-Quincey

Kindl-Dekeyser

Lashoff-Colo

Almquist

Howard

Gustavsson

Thats a killer squad.

Let all the UFA's walk. Buy out Sammy and Bert. Save 10 mil in cap space for a great deadline deal or two that moves Rig and Smith back to D in April, if the strategy isnt working. Good skaters can play multiple positions. Fedorov, Dandenault, and Ericsson all have played D and F during their careers. The transition is only hard if a player cant skate well.

Edited by The Axe

Thats a killer squad.

Let all the UFA's walk. Buy out Sammy and Bert. Save 10 mil in cap space for a great deadline deal or two that moves Rig and Smith back to D in April, if the strategy isnt working. Good skaters can play multiple positions. Fedorov, Dandenault, and Ericsson all have played D and F during their careers. The transition is only hard if a player cant skate well.

No that's definitely not a killer squad. Ericsson on the top offensive line? Quincey on the top d-pairing? Lashoff and Cola as a solid pairing?

Skating ability does NOT equal a versatile player position-wise. That's pretty ignorant and a simplistic way to see it. There's so many other factors in play.

If it was that simple, the fastest players in the league would all play F/D. In reality it's pretty rare.

Guest The Axe

No that's definitely not a killer squad. Ericsson on the top offensive line? Quincey on the top d-pairing? Lashoff and Cola as a solid pairing?

Skating ability does NOT equal a versatile player position-wise. That's pretty ignorant and a simplistic way to see it. There's so many other factors in play.

If it was that simple, the fastest players in the league would all play F/D. In reality it's pretty rare.

The fastest players normally DO play F/D. Look at the Wings. Helm, Emmerton, Dats, Zetterberg - these guys are the best 2-way guys we have. Because they're good skaters.

The fastest players normally DO play F/D. Look at the Wings. Helm, Emmerton, Dats, Zetterberg - these guys are the best 2-way guys we have. Because they're good skaters.

Ok now you're confusing playing as a defenceman and playing defence as a forward....

Ericsson is a converted defenseman.

Well aware. The post you quoted was in response to his post referring to Helm, Emmerton, Dats and Zetterberg.

He went from discussing players who play defense as well as forward to discussing defensive forwards....

Guest Kronstantinov

This is an off season I am very curious and excited about. Holland has to do something about the logjam at forward especially bottom 6 ones. The Wings will have their highest draft choice in decades in what is supposed to be a very deep draft. The buyouts should make things very interesting and should amount to the best free agent field ever.

This is the heart of it:

Holland certainly didn't have that sense of urgency regarding Lidstrom's retirement. Will he with Dats and Z? Or will he be content to tweak and keep the Wings good but not great, hoping Babcock and some younger players can pull off something special in the next couple seasons?

While I agree, I really have to wonder what Holland really CAN do about the situation. Lets face facts here. We are going to have to trade talent for talent if we want to hit the trade market. If you look at the players on the two teams in the finals now, they are relying on younger players to carry the team along with their vets. You have Krug in Boston that is a very capable defenseman. You have Leddy and Shaw in Chicago who are also proving themselves. We need our young players to step up and help our vets out, which Nyquist did with Detroit this post season. The disappointing fact is that our Vets didn't do very well in the Chicago series.

I don't mind seeing Holland make some moves, but I don't have any lofty expectations of us being able to get everything on our needs list. Pittsburgh loaded up last season and mortgaged their future for sure. Wings fans love consistency. Would fans as a whole approve of moves to make us a Cup contender for 1-2 years only to not make the playoffs for 2-3 years after our stars retire? I know I would.

This is the heart of it:

To me it's about the team, not whether or not 1 or 2 players win the cup