• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kipwinger

Nyquist or Tatar

Rate this topic

Depends. The answer could be both, neither, or just one. if we had the had the chance to pick up 2 very good/great players but had to trade both away, you do it. Just some examples. You can pick up letang but have to include Tatar to do it. Would you? yes depending on the rest of the parts. same with Ryan.

Now which one is better? Hard to say. They are different players. Nyquist is a much better puck handler and 2 way player. tatar is a sniper with a little grit/fire in his belly. Neither are very big. But are young and cheap. In same ways I wonder if the choice is more Tatar or Brunner? They are closer in style of play. Both being shooters first.

IMO, I would hate to trade either of them (and you know my dislike for the small Euro-type forward.) But if it were a deal that would immediately impact our lack of scoring on the powerplay and overall, I would have to bite the bullet and bid adieu to one of them. I think Nyquist showed a lot of talent in the playoffs with his linemates and proved he belonged here. I really haven't seen too much of Tatar outside of his short stint in Detroit to say he is better or worse than Nyquist. I think this organization would miss either of them, BUT you also have to look at what else we have on the farm. There are a handful of players that again will be ready for the NHL in a couple of seasons. Frk, Athanasiou, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen and Tvrdon...I think if a Bobby Ryan, Alex Burrows, Keith Yandle or Heaven help us, Shea Weber trade proposal came up, I would be ok, with parting with either of them.

If I had to chose today, I would chose to keep Tatar since he seems to be more of a scorer and Nyquist more of a setup man. But throw both names up in the air and whichever landed first wouldn't make a difference if it came down to acquiring the piece(s) we need to take it to the next level.

Real hard decision and I, personally, hope we don't end up having to move either of them. Unfortunately, it may be the case if we're gunning for a top flight winger. In my opinion, Nyquist fits the bill that most of our forwards do; playmaking and defensive minded. Tatar is the more natural goal-scorer. I think we lack more of Tatar in that aspect and in that sense, would have to select Nyquist to leave. Tatar was a rabid dog when he was with Detroit this season and is hungry. He wants to be in the big show and he certainly proved his worth. He has the drive of a winner and is hard to contain. Even with his lack of call-ups, initially he had seemed to be stronger on the puck than Nyquist already. Nyquist came into his own and became stronger with the puck as his confidence started to climb. Holland makes it seem like we've gotten the 4 youngsters (Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser and Lashoff; honestly can't remember him in regards to Andersson) marked up full-time next season which gives me the feeling that he isn't going to move any of them unless the absolute right deal comes along. He seems very content with how the management's plan is coming into place.

Real hard decision and I, personally, hope we don't end up having to move either of them. Unfortunately, it may be the case if we're gunning for a top flight winger. In my opinion, Nyquist fits the bill that most of our forwards do; playmaking and defensive minded. Tatar is the more natural goal-scorer. I think we lack more of Tatar in that aspect and in that sense, would have to select Nyquist to leave. Tatar was a rabid dog when he was with Detroit this season and is hungry. He wants to be in the big show and he certainly proved his worth. He has the drive of a winner and is hard to contain. Even with his lack of call-ups, initially he had seemed to be stronger on the puck than Nyquist already. Nyquist came into his own and became stronger with the puck as his confidence started to climb. Holland makes it seem like we've gotten the 4 youngsters (Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser and Lashoff; honestly can't remember him in regards to Andersson) marked up full-time next season which gives me the feeling that he isn't going to move any of them unless the absolute right deal comes along. He seems very content with how the management's plan is coming into place.

I hate to agree with guys who've said I was asinine, but this is the best reply.

Guest mjtm77

I pretty much agree with u kip. A trade of any kind is unlikely right now IMO, but I would keep Tatar. Tatar is about at the same level as Nyquist, and is younger. He also plays a more well rounded game IMO. Nyquist honestly strikes me as Hudler/Filppula 3.0

whaaat. if anything Tatar is closer to a Hudler 3.0 not nyquist

We have to keep both of them. Tatar is a sniper. Quick hands, sensational moves, very similar to Pav.

Nyquist doesn't have special skills with the puck. BUT he has the overall view. He's a playmaker and he's able to find his teammates in every position. Plus he's a very good skater and he knows exactly where to go. Very similar to Z.

If Tatar learns to play smarter and better defensively, he could be the new Pav.

If Nyquist builds some muscles and learns to play harder and better defensively, he could be the new Z.

Maybe they won't be able to reach the levels of Z or Pav. But it would be very stupid to give up one of them. Their style of play is very different. We need both of them.

We'd better give up other Prospects. But we definitely need Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco. And it maybe won't be stupid to add Callahan instead of Tootoo.

Again, I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a "to trade or not to trade" but rather a "Nyquist vs. Tatar" if forced to trade, as the title suggests. I think we can all agree that in a perfect world we'd keep all our quality prospects and acquire every good free agent too. But it doesn't work that way. Sometimes you have to give to get and the point of this thread is that if you had to give one or the other, who would you pick, and why.

Guest Johnz96

whaaat. if anything Tatar is closer to a Hudler 3.0 not nyquist

Tatar is faster, stronger, tougher and grittier than Hudler and more of a shooter.

Guest Johnz96

We have to keep both of them. Tatar is a sniper. Quick hands, sensational moves, very similar to Pav.

Nyquist doesn't have special skills with the puck. BUT he has the overall view. He's a playmaker and he's able to find his teammates in every position. Plus he's a very good skater and he knows exactly where to go. Very similar to Z.

If Tatar learns to play smarter and better defensively, he could be the new Pav.

If Nyquist builds some muscles and learns to play harder and better defensively, he could be the new Z.

Maybe they won't be able to reach the levels of Z or Pav. But it would be very stupid to give up one of them. Their style of play is very different. We need both of them.

We'd better give up other Prospects. But we definitely need Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco. And it maybe won't be stupid to add Callahan instead of Tootoo.

Nyquist has some of Datsyuk's thiiefing abilities as well. Only Datsyuk and Zetterberg had more TakeAways than him in the playoffs and only Datsyuk had more TakeAways per game than he did in the regular season.

Depending on the other team in the trade, in order to get anything of value in return we will have to offer one of those guys so take the one you would want to keep more and trade him. Why would the other team want a prospect we value less than others. That being said Nyquist probly has more value now that he has Stanley Cup Playoff experience so keep Tatar and hope he has a better future.

Guest Johnz96

Depending on the other team in the trade, in order to get anything of value in return we will have to offer one of those guys so take the one you would want to keep more and trade him. Why would the other team want a prospect we value less than others. That being said Nyquist probly has more value now that he has Stanley Cup Playoff experience so keep Tatar and hope he has a better future.

Leading thr AHL in scoring at the time of his promotion and winning the Calder Cup have probably also increased his value, he is also more than a year ahead of Tatar in his development.

Guest The Axe

Nyquist is not getting bigger. Tatar is. Our last goal against came from Nyquist getting bumped off the puck. Now the team that scored it is cup champs. Gotta get tougher as a team. Bye bye Gus.

Nyquist is not getting bigger. Tatar is. Our last goal against came from Nyquist getting bumped off the puck. Now the team that scored it is cup champs. Gotta get tougher as a team. Bye bye Gus.

If Z or Dats were on the cusp of retiring I'd say keep Nyquist, but given that they'll be around a few years I say move him for a scorer or top flight defenseman.

Guest mjtm77

The thing people don't get is we have enough defense prospects. We won't be trading for a d man

Tatar is faster, stronger, tougher and grittier than Hudler and more of a shooter.

and 3.0 would imply upgrade, no? Maybe not in this case but id like to think of Tatar as a better huds.. similar role, better player. We'll see when he's up full time.

If Z or Dats were on the cusp of retiring I'd say keep Nyquist, but given that they'll be around a few years I say move him for a scorer or top flight defenseman.

If Nyquist stayed in the AHL this past season he was the leagues leading scorer (the leader was Pirri with 76 games played & 75 points, Nyquist played 58 games and had 60 points). When was the last time one of our prospects was atop the AHL leader board? Gus also reminded me a lot of the magic man this year with the big club, the vision he has and way he moves out there, it seems like a no brainer that he's the real deal. THEN Tatar in the Calder playoffs lights it up nets 16 goals and 5 assists in 24 games showing we have two elite studs about to suit up (hopefully) for the Wings this coming season but for some reason we want to trade one of them? Pavs here for four years, Gus is my hope at the moment for taking the torch from him.

They are so close talent-wise. It comes down to Tatar's aggressive goal scoring and playing much bigger than he is against Nyquist's superior playmaking and better defense. I'm not too worried about having Brunner, Tatar, and Nyquist. Tatar doesn't play small, Nyquist has a well rounded game and Brunner is dedicated to improve his game in every area.

A line off tatar - nyquist - brunner just made me drool a bit :)

Right, let's get rid of a rookie cause he bumped off a puck by the presidents trophy/stanley cup champions even though he showed very good potential. Remember how small dats was when he started in the nhl? I bet you wanted to trade him off too, but hey at least we have "emdog" right...

EDIT: if it wasn't for goose, we don't beat anaheim, and we don't even make it to game 7 against chicago, he wasn't the only one who got bumped off a puck in that series

Edited by Euro_Twins

Seeing the two on the ice together (which I did; several times regular season and playoffs), I'd pick Nyquist over Tatar. From the defensive zone to the offensive, Nyquist controlled the play. Better skater, better puck handling skills, better playmaker. Also showed great patience on the ice. AHL regular season stats showed Tatar and Nyquist as having same amount of goals, yet Nyquist played fewer games. He also had quite a few more assists and spent less time in the box.

Guest The Axe

A line off tatar - nyquist - brunner just made me drool a bit :)

Right, let's get rid of a rookie cause he bumped off a puck by the presidents trophy/stanley cup champions even though he showed very good potential. Remember how small dats was when he started in the nhl? I bet you wanted to trade him off too, but hey at least we have "emdog" right...

EDIT: if it wasn't for goose, we don't beat anaheim, and we don't even make it to game 7 against chicago, he wasn't the only one who got bumped off a puck in that series

Im just saying that Gus needs to be 195 to 205 lbs quick. Kindl, Emdog, Tatar - these guys are hitting the weightroom. And thats why they are getting tougher to play against.

Im just saying that Gus needs to be 195 to 205 lbs quick. Kindl, Emdog, Tatar - these guys are hitting the weightroom. And thats why they are getting tougher to play against.

I'm sure he'll remember that moment and want to get bigger and better and smarter. Nobody wants to be the dude that costs their team an OT Game 7 goal on national TV.