• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

I hope we keep both but have a feeling Tatar is on the move. I'd trade him over nyq because I like nyq's play more.. and based on Tatar getting sent to the griffins after he seemed to play well up on the wings, it makes me think the coaching staff would like to keep nyq over Tatar if they had to choose as well.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#22 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:09 AM

I hope we keep both but have a feeling Tatar is on the move. I'd trade him over nyq because I like nyq's play more.. and based on Tatar getting sent to the griffins after he seemed to play well up on the wings, it makes me think the coaching staff would like to keep nyq over Tatar if they had to choose as well.

I think they sent him down because Tatar is a year and a half younger and still physically filling out. He seemed more dynamic with the Wings than Nyq to me.

#23 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'd really just like to keep every young guy we have so that then we are guaranteed to get the ones who turn into eventual superstars, not gamble with possibly trading away a future top player. Only let them go when they are so good that their salaries demanded are going to outweight the cap and then possibly try to do that just 1 year left on contract and trade for value...

I just don't think any team is going to give us any veteran players that are actually worth what we believe the potential of all these players are. Let the other teams come calling to us begging and offering the world, don't shop these young guys around like we are some cheap insurance salesman (no offense to regular insurance salespeople :P)

EDIT - Oh and if I had to choose, I'd say Nyquist... his skills seem more smooth and classy that fit into the image of the Wings a bit better.. Tatar seems more like a fire every puck on net, clean up garbage type guy (I don't have good grasp on him, I could be wrong)... I just love that most of our playoff goals seemed to be laser cannons shot with pure skill versus just garbage or bad deflections (that is just my perception, I do not guarantee that is reality at all)

Edited by Rhah, 24 June 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#24 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I think they sent him down because Tatar is a year and a half younger and still physically filling out. He seemed more dynamic with the Wings than Nyq to me.

hmm yea, good point. Might make him worth a little more in a trade.. tho it would be nice to see the two develop into a duo on the same line. If all goes well, tat/nyq on one line and Jurco/frk on another could end up being deadly. *fingers crossed*

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#25 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

I wouldn't trade either one yet, we need to lock up Nyquist here and see what this year brings for those two with a full year on the team.  We are finally getting into a situation to lose the redundant 4th line grinder situation...Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar, Brunner and Andersson looks like a solid foundation.  I really hope we don't lose either one of these two kids, this team is build from the inside and that excites me the most...

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#26 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

I would keep Nyquist and Smith
Trade Tatar, Kindl, Eaves and a 1st for Bogosian and Kane/Burmistrov
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#27 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Depends. The answer could be both, neither, or just one. if we had the had the chance to pick up 2 very good/great players but had to trade both away, you do it. Just some examples. You can pick up letang but have to include Tatar to do it. Would you? yes depending on the rest of the parts. same with Ryan.

Now which one is better? Hard to say. They are different players. Nyquist is a much better puck handler and 2 way player. tatar is a sniper with a little grit/fire in his belly. Neither are very big. But are young and cheap. In same ways I wonder if the choice is more Tatar or Brunner? They are closer in style of play. Both being shooters first.

#28 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I would keep Nyquist and Smith
Trade Tatar, Kindl, Eaves and a 1st for Bogosian and Kane/Burmistrov

That package would, maybe, get one of those players, and I wouldn't want to pay it for Burmistrov.

#29 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

IMO, I would hate to trade either of them (and you know my dislike for the small Euro-type forward.)  But if it were a deal that would immediately impact our lack of scoring on the powerplay and overall, I would have to bite the bullet and bid adieu to one of them.  I think Nyquist showed a lot of talent in the playoffs with his linemates and proved he belonged here.  I really haven't seen too much of Tatar outside of his short stint in Detroit to say he is better or worse than Nyquist.  I think this organization would miss either of them, BUT you also have to look at what else we have on the farm.  There are a handful of players that again will be ready for the NHL in a couple of seasons.  Frk, Athanasiou, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen and Tvrdon...I think if a Bobby Ryan, Alex Burrows, Keith Yandle or Heaven help us, Shea Weber trade proposal came up, I would be ok, with parting with either of them.

If I had to chose today, I would chose to keep Tatar since he seems to be more of a scorer and Nyquist more of a setup man.  But throw both names up in the air and whichever landed first wouldn't make a difference if it came down to acquiring the piece(s) we need to take it to the next level.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#30 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

keep tatar. but seriously, dont trade either. 

#31 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Real hard decision and I, personally, hope we don't end up having to move either of them. Unfortunately, it may be the case if we're gunning for a top flight winger. In my opinion, Nyquist fits the bill that most of our forwards do; playmaking and defensive minded. Tatar is the more natural goal-scorer. I think we lack more of Tatar in that aspect and in that sense, would have to select Nyquist to leave. Tatar was a rabid dog when he was with Detroit this season and is hungry. He wants to be in the big show and he certainly proved his worth. He has the drive of a winner and is hard to contain. Even with his lack of call-ups, initially he had seemed to be stronger on the puck than Nyquist already. Nyquist came into his own and became stronger with the puck as his confidence started to climb. Holland makes it seem like we've gotten the 4 youngsters (Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser and Lashoff; honestly can't remember him in regards to Andersson) marked up full-time next season which gives me the feeling that he isn't going to move any of them unless the absolute right deal comes along. He seems very content with how the management's plan is coming into place.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#32 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Real hard decision and I, personally, hope we don't end up having to move either of them. Unfortunately, it may be the case if we're gunning for a top flight winger. In my opinion, Nyquist fits the bill that most of our forwards do; playmaking and defensive minded. Tatar is the more natural goal-scorer. I think we lack more of Tatar in that aspect and in that sense, would have to select Nyquist to leave. Tatar was a rabid dog when he was with Detroit this season and is hungry. He wants to be in the big show and he certainly proved his worth. He has the drive of a winner and is hard to contain. Even with his lack of call-ups, initially he had seemed to be stronger on the puck than Nyquist already. Nyquist came into his own and became stronger with the puck as his confidence started to climb. Holland makes it seem like we've gotten the 4 youngsters (Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser and Lashoff; honestly can't remember him in regards to Andersson) marked up full-time next season which gives me the feeling that he isn't going to move any of them unless the absolute right deal comes along. He seems very content with how the management's plan is coming into place.

I hate to agree with guys who've said I was asinine, but this is the best reply.

#33 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

I pretty much agree with u kip. A trade of any kind is unlikely right now IMO, but I would keep Tatar. Tatar is about at the same level as Nyquist, and is younger. He also plays a more well rounded game IMO. Nyquist honestly strikes me as Hudler/Filppula 3.0

whaaat. if anything Tatar is closer to a Hudler 3.0 not nyquist

Posted Image

#34 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

We have to keep both of them. Tatar is a sniper. Quick hands, sensational moves, very similar to Pav.

Nyquist doesn't have special skills with the puck. BUT he has the overall view. He's a playmaker and he's able to find his teammates in every position. Plus he's a very good skater and he knows exactly where to go. Very similar to Z.

If Tatar learns to play smarter and better defensively, he could be the new Pav.

If Nyquist builds some muscles and learns to play harder and better defensively, he could be the new Z.

Maybe they won't be able to reach the levels of Z or Pav. But it would be very stupid to give up one of them. Their style of play is very different. We need both of them.

We'd better give up other Prospects. But we definitely need Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco. And it maybe won't be stupid to add Callahan instead of Tootoo.

#35 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Again, I wasn't trying to turn this thread into a "to trade or not to trade" but rather a "Nyquist vs. Tatar" if forced to trade, as the title suggests.  I think we can all agree that in a perfect world we'd keep all our quality prospects and acquire every good free agent too.  But it doesn't  work that way.  Sometimes you have to give to get and the point of this thread is that if you had to give one or the other, who would you pick, and why. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#36 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

whaaat. if anything Tatar is closer to a Hudler 3.0 not nyquist

Tatar is faster, stronger, tougher and grittier than Hudler and more of a shooter.

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Tatar is faster, stronger, tougher and grittier than Hudler and more of a shooter.

If nothing else Tatar doesn't look like he's skating in sand, so that is a big difference. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#38 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

We have to keep both of them. Tatar is a sniper. Quick hands, sensational moves, very similar to Pav.

Nyquist doesn't have special skills with the puck. BUT he has the overall view. He's a playmaker and he's able to find his teammates in every position. Plus he's a very good skater and he knows exactly where to go. Very similar to Z.

If Tatar learns to play smarter and better defensively, he could be the new Pav.

If Nyquist builds some muscles and learns to play harder and better defensively, he could be the new Z.

Maybe they won't be able to reach the levels of Z or Pav. But it would be very stupid to give up one of them. Their style of play is very different. We need both of them.

We'd better give up other Prospects. But we definitely need Nyquist, Tatar and Jurco. And it maybe won't be stupid to add Callahan instead of Tootoo.

Nyquist has some of Datsyuk's thiiefing abilities as well. Only Datsyuk and Zetterberg had more TakeAways than him in the playoffs and only Datsyuk had more TakeAways per game than he did in the regular season.

#39 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Depending on the other team in the trade, in order to get anything of value in return we will have to offer one of those guys so take the one you would want to keep more and trade him. Why would the other team want a prospect we value less than others. That being said Nyquist probly has more value now that he has Stanley Cup Playoff experience so keep Tatar and hope he has a better future.

#40 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Depending on the other team in the trade, in order to get anything of value in return we will have to offer one of those guys so take the one you would want to keep more and trade him. Why would the other team want a prospect we value less than others. That being said Nyquist probly has more value now that he has Stanley Cup Playoff experience so keep Tatar and hope he has a better future.

Leading thr AHL in scoring at the time of his promotion and winning the Calder Cup have probably also  increased his value, he is also more than a year ahead of Tatar in his development.