• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

Gary Bettman Stanley Cup Presentations

Rate this topic

The Stanley Cup will be in the building tonight in Boston, with the Chicago Blackhawks one win away from claiming the championship. And that means it’s time to get excited about one of the highlights of the NHL season: Watching commissioner Gary Bettman struggle through presenting the Cup.

In the years since Bettman’s debut as the Stanley Cup presenter, the ceremony has evolved into one of the most awkward traditions in all of sports. Bettman fidgets, the crowd boos, the posed photo takes way too long, and the winning captain fakes a smile while he waits for Bettman to just let go of the Cup and hit the bricks.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/66432/20-years-of-awkwardness-a-celebration-of-gary-bettman-stanley-cup-presentations

I thought this article was really good. I love the analysis. I thought the most awkward was indeed correct. I love how Rod just grabs the cup and lifts it over his head with no photo op.

Guest Johnz96

I hope he gets the loudest chorus of boos yet and that someone throws a beer at him or something.

Guest DeGraa55

Boston did not boo him nearly lustily enough considering what we've been thru this season. I was really counting on them! FAIL.

O yes because it is 100% his fault. Let's not forget he REPRESENTS the owners. He does as they say.

O yes because it is 100% his fault. Let's not forget he REPRESENTS the owners. He does as they say.

Who locked t he players and the fans out for the third time in a row? This is the same guy, who had no problem moving franchises from Canada and relocate them to absolute joking markets but yet refuses and fights tooth and nails to relocate the stolen teams back.

This midget is also the guy, who basically assembled the "BOG" a bunch of yaysayers and piss poor crybabies such as Jacobs, Wirtz are part of that group. I'd love for Dolan, Illitch, Snider and Pegula to come out and stop revenue sharing till we have a real hockeyguy as commissioner. I think the perfect human would do an unbelievable job, heck even Burke would be better than him...

That said I was very very very disappointed with the effortless boos, Vancouver did an awesome job with that. Boston was even more lame than the Kings which is adl.

Guest RedWingsDad

It's a shame that he insists on ruining what should be a great moment by continuing to present the trophy.

I agree with this. The moment is about the players and the club that won... not Bettman. I simply do not understand the rationale. They should have a guest present it every year... like a former player or something. That would add even more magic to the moment instead of detracting from it.

who wants to get the cup from bettman? really? Some weasily little troll that 90% of the players and fans hate feels it his time honoured duty to hand off the cup... he never even knew what hockey was before coming to the nhl...

anyone have the video, I could only find him handing off the conne smythe (awarded to the most childish player)

You have to keep in mind that while I'm sure your average Boston fan doesn't like Gary Bettman, they do love their team, and the owner of their team (Jacobs) was the biggest Bettman apologist out of all of the owners. A lot of fanbases, you would think, would have a much clearer disdain for Bettman and what he's done to the league. And yet, it's hard to even articulate exactly how he's been so bad, because the product, for the most part, continues to be excellent.

It makes me smile a bit to see Bettman get that reaction, but it also makes me sad. You could argue that even though we're at temporary labor peace in the four sports right now, player dislike for the leagues/management is bad across the board. Much the same way opponent Bruins fans stick around to watch the other team hoist the Cup (out of appreciation for the spectacle and the tradition of the game), you wish we also had that pride in the people entrusted for running the league.

I agree with this. The moment is about the players and the club that won... not Bettman. I simply do not understand the rationale. They should have a guest present it every year... like a former player or something. That would add even more magic to the moment instead of detracting from it.

That's a good idea. Like have someone from the HHOF hand it out each year.

I would like to see a past player present it.

BUT I do feel a small sense of comradery with the fans in the arena knowing we all bond over our hatred of the troll.

Edited by Ally

this has probably been mentioned before but what about the idea of having the previous champions captain presenting the cup. im a huge golfer and thats what they do for the masters green jacket, neat idea and i think it would work. anything to get bettman off of national tv

this has probably been mentioned before but what about the idea of having the previous champions captain presenting the cup. im a huge golfer and thats what they do for the masters green jacket, neat idea and i think it would work. anything to get bettman off of national tv

Would you have wanted to watch Lids hand over the cup to crosby? Although it would have been extremely funny to watch crosby trying to hand it to lids in 08 while crying and then skate away with it like a spoiled brat lol

Would you have wanted to watch Lids hand over the cup to crosby?

I just threw up all over my desk.

I like the HHOF idea, a different HOFer presents each year. Maybe someone from that previous year's inducted class? I worry about the old timers dropping the cup :lol: