• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingCraig

Wings looking to trade before using buyouts

Rate this topic

Enjoyed the nugget about the Wings trying to trade Tootoo. There are some posters here that will burn the forum down if they deal their beloved "enforcer".

It's interesting that people talked about the Wings as one of the (secondary) offenders of offering backdiving deals, yet the two suspected candidates (37 and 28) are actually guys on shorter term deals signed in the 2012 offseason. In other words, we actually did intend on honoring the Zetterberg and Franzen contracts.

However, is Khan right about this? I thought that Sammy and Bert were both on 35+ deals, and you can't buyout a 35+ deal. I must be mistaken.

Enjoyed the nugget about the Wings trying to trade Tootoo. There are some posters here that will burn the forum down if they deal their beloved "enforcer".

It's interesting that people talked about the Wings as one of the (secondary) offenders of offering backdiving deals, yet the two suspected candidates (37 and 28) are actually guys on shorter term deals signed in the 2012 offseason. In other words, we actually did intend on honoring the Zetterberg and Franzen contracts.

However, is Khan right about this? I thought that Sammy and Bert were both on 35+ deals, and you can't buyout a 35+ deal. I must be mistaken.

Players who sign multi-year contracts when they are age 35 or older (calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins) count toward the cap under all circumstances, regardless of where (or if) the player is playing. The only cap relief is $100,000 from the player's cap hit if he is assigned to the minors after the first year of the contract. A buyout — either ordinary-course or compliance — can also reduce the cap hit.

Guest Crymson

There is no age restriction on buyouts.

It's an encouraging article, that's for sure. So much so that I actually busted out the Capgeek calculator and joined the thread. With the exception of Tootoo, every player mentioned in the article is someone I would like to see in a different uniform next season. Here's hoping it's somehow possible.

The fact is simple, our young guys proved they are NHL ready. Gus and Andersson should be full time NHL guys. Tatar needs to be playing in the show too. I don't think any of these 3 guys are border line anymore. I've always been on board with our managment almost over ripening players in the minors but I have to admit I'm over it. With that said we have too many forwards even with buy outs. We need to make a trade..prob Flip's rights for a pick so we can get our young guys full time play and sign a couple of guys.

<p>Good thinking, if we kept Tootoo how could we possibly resign our best asset Dan Cleary....What af****** joke we are still in contract talks with this scrub, he must be offering us money.</p>

"term is an issue with Cleary, as the Red Wings don't want to commit too many years to him at age 34" Unless the term is 0 Holland should be ******* slapped and fired

Edited by ben_usmc

Good thinking, if we kept Tootoo how could we possibly resign our best asset Dan Cleary....What af****** joke we are still in contract talks with this scrub, he must be offering us money.

I'm not a big fan of bringing Cleary back either and I actually like Tootoo, but if we're comparing the 2 players Cleary is a far bigger asset to the team than Jordin.

As bad as Cleary was in the regular season he was one of our best players in the playoffs. I don't want him back if its at the expense of someone like Tatar, Nyquist or Brunner but if its only on a 1 year deal and as a bottom 6 forward I can live with Cleary coming back.

Two things are encouraging:

1. Kenny usually shows his hand, to a degree. For example, when he says he's not going to make a trade at the deadline, he usually doesn't. But when he gets in to specifics like "trading/moving players at the draft in a 2-for-1 deal or even a 5-for-2 deal", I believe him. It's very encouraging.

2. Holland has an abundance of assets to work with. He can offer a package that includes a good young prospect (i.e Tatar, Smith, Nyquist) + a few servicable roster players with very tradable contracts (i.e. Quincey, Emmerton, Eaves, Cola, Tootoo). Also, that 18th overall 1st round pick has wayyyyyy more value than the Wings typical 26th - 30th overall pick from years past.

If Holland is serious, and I think he is, we may actually see the tire-kicker making some significant moves to address this team's needs.

Exciting. But I'm not holding my breath either.

Edited by rick zombo

I'm kinda hoping we can pull off a deal for Yandle finally. With us switching conferences and Phoenix in dire need of some forward depth I could see a trade being worked out.

To Phoenix:

Tatar

Eaves

Colaiacovo

2nd round pick

To Detroit:

Yandle

6th round pick

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

I'm kinda hoping we can pull off a deal for Yandle finally. With us switching conferences and Phoenix in dire need of some forward depth I could see a trade being worked out.

To Phoenix:

Tatar

Eaves

Colaiacovo

2nd round pick

To Detroit:

Yandle

6th round pick

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

All we really need is to acquire one big gun for Datsyuk.

I have been back and forth with the idea of putting Z and D together or using them as 1center, 2 center. or is a healthy Helm ready and able to take the next step and move up to the 2nd line?

At the end of the day, the winning formula is simple and basic and we all have been saying it all along; Dats needs someone with more of a goal scoring threat on his wing than Z provides. Weather that is Clarkson or whomever, I don't know.

Abby(Bickel?)/Dats/Clarkson

Franzen/Helm/Zetterberg

Tatar/Andy/Nyquist

Miller/Emmy/Toots(Eaves)

Bert/

If Helm returns 100% and goes back to the 3rd line, then Andy is way under utilized on the 4rth line. Am I wrong thinking a healthy Helm can adequately replace Fil-A-Poola? Doesn't his speed, jump, and work ethic more than make up for the skill descrepency between the two? He seems like a perfect fit between Franzen and Zetterberg.

Emmerton is solid, responsible, and cheap; a great place holder until Sheahan or ? is ready. Unless Holland knows one of the Griffins are ready.

Maybe Abby can get 20 goals while crashing and mucking on Datsyuks line, doing a lot of the grunt work so a Clarkson-type-scoring-guy can find some space to snipe from.Yes, I'd prefer a bigger Bickel there instead of Abby, but so would every GM in the league now that he's been showcased in the Finals so chances of getting him are slim to none. If we get the right scorer on Dat's wing, then settling for Abby there could be fine while spreading cap space to other lines.

This set of forward lines can compete with anyone. We are not that far away, maybe one top acquisition is all we need.

Edited by T.Low

The fun begins in only a few days...this should be cool, with a compressed one-day draft and trade/buyouts.

The only thing I am already sad about is that Brian Burke will not be there to pull the trigger on hilarious trades that people will talk about for years.

On topic, what do you guys think about a potential Filppula rights trade to Columbus for a low pick? Columbus's new GM was Val's GM during the lockout in Finland. I think Jarmo will be making some waves.

On topic, what do you guys think about a potential Filppula rights trade to Columbus for a low pick? Columbus's new GM was Val's GM during the lockout in Finland. I think Jarmo will be making some waves.

I'd be fine with this, as long as Kenny didn't call it a day and reach for the golf sticks.

He's got wayyyy more work to do than acquiring a low pick for Filpulla's rights.

Win-win. Either we get something for Flip or the threat of going to Columbus causes him to bring down his asking price to a much more palatable level.