• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Euro_Twins

Trade/Buyout thread

Rate this topic

Vinny would bring alot of size, heart and leadership. Not sure if we'd be interested or not, but if we can't get the big winger, wouldn't mind the big center.

losing filpula should make us more than interested.. at least for a 2-3 year contract.

Yeah - just saw that on TSN...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426423

If I were gonna spend $6 million on a UFA...Screw Horton - get me some Vinny!

Because he's getting bought out, the next contract he'll sign will probably be low. Hopefully Stevie told him how great it was to play in Detroit.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Guest The Axe

Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. louis, and Hedman

For

White, Bertuzzi, Sammuelsson, Cleary, Filppula, Tootoo, and Colaoccovo.

Yzerman fired by Tampa Bay. Rejoins Red Wings as assistant GM.

.......(wakes up)........

Lecavalier, Stamkos, St. louis, and Hedman

For

White, Bertuzzi, Sammuelsson, Cleary, Filppula, Tootoo, and Colaoccovo.

Yzerman fired by Tampa Bay. Rejoins Red Wings as assistant GM.

.......(wakes up)........

At the press conference, Yzerman tears opens his dress shirt to reveal his Red Wings sweater, super kicks Phil Esposito. Red Wings'

blares through the PA as Jim Ross screams, "My God! He's back! He's back! He's back!" and the show fades to black.

Guest The Axe

At the press conference, Yzerman tears opens his dress shirt to reveal his Red Wings sweater, super kicks Phil Esposito. Red Wings'

blares through the PA as Jim Ross screams, "My God! He's back! He's back! He's back!" and the show fades to black.

Yes Yes!!!

Can someone explain to me why the Habs bought out Gomez? Wasn't he traded (or something) to SJ? *confused* Or was he actually bought out earlier this year? I recall him signing for like 1.25mil with SJ. If that's the case, why was that allowed before the 'buyout window'? I don't recall if the teams were allowed an 'emergency buyout' once the CBA was actually renewed.

Edited by rrasco

Can someone explain to me why the Habs bought out Gomez? Wasn't he traded (or something) to SJ? *confused* Or was he actually bought out earlier this year? I recall him signing for like 1.25mil with SJ. If that's the case, why was that allowed before the 'buyout window'? I don't recall if the teams were allowed an 'emergency buyout' once the CBA was actually renewed.

buyout. Yes teams were allowed to use one before the season started.

I still don't get this notion some people have that the organization would benefit from buying out one of its best scorers. Exactly who would replace him?

First - for how many more seasons is Franzen going to be a 25 goal scorer? He's 33 right now. He's got another SEVEN seasons with a $4M cap hit. Once his production starts declining, since he contributes nothing else, how much longer does $4M stay good value for money?

Second - The early retirement penalties that have been brought in are a biatch. No-one expected the likes of Franzen to see out their contracts, now if he retires early, its the Wings who get punished while he sits on his mountains of cash.

Third - I hate the message that Franzen sends to our youngsters. Have a couple of half-decent seasons, sign a mega-bucks lifetime contract and coast your way into retirement

Fourth - As I already mentioned, we've had the best years of Franzen's contract - the years of artificially low cap hit with decent production. The contract is only going to get worse from here on out. If we buy him out after next season, he'll be 34 and we "only" have to pay him $12M for the remainder of his contract.

Fifth - We have lost MUCH worse players than Franzen over the years. Many and more of them, and we've always been OK. We'll survive without Franzen too.

First - for how many more seasons is Franzen going to be a 25 goal scorer? He's 33 right now. He's got another SEVEN seasons with a $4M cap hit. Once his production starts declining, since he contributes nothing else, how much longer does $4M stay good value for money?

Second - The early retirement penalties that have been brought in are a biatch. No-one expected the likes of Franzen to see out their contracts, now if he retires early, its the Wings who get punished while he sits on his mountains of cash.

Third - I hate the message that Franzen sends to our youngsters. Have a couple of half-decent seasons, sign a mega-bucks lifetime contract and coast your way into retirement

Fourth - As I already mentioned, we've had the best years of Franzen's contract - the years of artificially low cap hit with decent production. The contract is only going to get worse from here on out. If we buy him out after next season, he'll be 34 and we "only" have to pay him $12M for the remainder of his contract.

Fifth - We have lost MUCH worse players than Franzen over the years. Many and more of them, and we've always been OK. We'll survive without Franzen too.

The last four points reinforce the main point, but the first point is all that really matters. He is our top goal scorer, however, that will change weather he's on our team or not. He was on pace for another 28 goal season, which is great, and he's still a useful player right now but his style of play will wear down his body fast and for a guy that used to be huge for us in the playoffs, he's done pretty much nothing over the past 3 playoff runs. He won't get better, he will get worse and I think it would be foolish for this to end any other way other than a buyout. The Wings cannot get stuck with this contract after he turns 35.

For all the bad that comes along with Franzen's contract, he is still our leading scorer more often than not. Lecavalier is not a goal scorer, and anyone we sign to replace Franzen will cost far more, I don't see any reason to buy him out this season.

I'd use only one buyout this year though (Sammy) and save the other for next season in case Franzen's production drops or in the case of Tatar or Nyquist developing into players who can offset the loss of Franzen's goal scoring. Right now, he's still a massive bargain as far as Cap hits are concerned so why not at least keep him one more season.

We know this years Free Agent class is weak, odds are the next one will be too, but it will be the first year until the tighter cap so maybe we see a few better options hit the market next off-season.

Since Montador's caphit is less than the 3M required for compliance buyout, won't part of his caphit remain?

The 3 Million threshold was only for the accelerated buyouts used before this off-season. (Gomez and Redden)

Now that we are in the official buyout period there is no salary restrictions on who can be bought out.

Ideally we would only Amnesty Sammy (if not tradeable) and use best trades available for Tootoo and Cola to open up roster space. I would then Amnesty Franzen at the end of next year as our youth really comes of age. We can't afford to keep both him and Z long term on the books.

Guest Johnz96

For all the bad that comes along with Franzen's contract, he is still our leading scorer more often than not. Lecavalier is not a goal scorer, and anyone we sign to replace Franzen will cost far more, I don't see any reason to buy him out this season.

I'd use only one buyout this year though (Sammy) and save the other for next season in case Franzen's production drops or in the case of Tatar or Nyquist developing into players who can offset the loss of Franzen's goal scoring. Right now, he's still a massive bargain as far as Cap hits are concerned so why not at least keep him one more season.

We know this years Free Agent class is weak, odds are the next one will be too, but it will be the first year until the tighter cap so maybe we see a few better options hit the market next off-season.

The 3 Million threshold was only for the accelerated buyouts used before this off-season. (Gomez and Redden)

Now that we are in the official buyout period there is no salary restrictions on who can be bought out.

Vinny is one of a handful of players that have scored 50 goals in a season.

This years Free Agent class is weak?

Lecavalier, Iginla, Horton, Clarkson, Bickell, Dupuis, Stallberg, Morrow, Zubrus, Ribeiro, Ryder, Elias, Jagr, Bozak, Roy, Clowe... and more to be bought out