• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

At the press conference, Yzerman tears opens his dress shirt to reveal his Red Wings sweater, super kicks Phil Esposito. Red Wings' theme music blares through the PA as Jim Ross screams, "My God! He's back! He's back! He's back!" and the show fades to black.

Yes Yes!!!

#42 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

For once the rumors were right! Vinny! Vinny! Vinny!

Sign him and yes, BUYOUT FRANZEN! Flood the market and drive prices down.

#43 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Can someone explain to me why the Habs bought out Gomez?  Wasn't he traded (or something) to SJ?  *confused*  Or was he actually bought out earlier this year?  I recall him signing for like 1.25mil with SJ.  If that's the case, why was that allowed before the 'buyout window'?  I don't recall if the teams were allowed an 'emergency buyout' once the CBA was actually renewed.

Edited by rrasco, 27 June 2013 - 09:39 AM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#44 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Can someone explain to me why the Habs bought out Gomez?  Wasn't he traded (or something) to SJ?  *confused*  Or was he actually bought out earlier this year?  I recall him signing for like 1.25mil with SJ.  If that's the case, why was that allowed before the 'buyout window'?  I don't recall if the teams were allowed an 'emergency buyout' once the CBA was actually renewed.

buyout. Yes teams were allowed to use one before the season started.

#45 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I still don't get this notion some people have that the organization would benefit from buying out one of its best scorers. Exactly who would replace him?

First - for how many more seasons is Franzen going to be a 25 goal scorer?  He's 33 right now.  He's got another SEVEN seasons with a $4M cap hit.  Once his production starts declining, since he contributes nothing else, how much longer does $4M stay good value for money?

Second - The early retirement penalties that have been brought in are a biatch.  No-one expected the likes of Franzen to see out their contracts, now if he retires early, its the Wings who get punished while he sits on his mountains of cash.

Third - I hate the message that Franzen sends to our youngsters.  Have a couple of half-decent seasons, sign a mega-bucks lifetime contract and coast your way into retirement

Fourth - As I already mentioned, we've had the best years of Franzen's contract - the years of artificially low cap hit with decent production.  The contract is only going to get worse from here on out.  If we buy him out after next season, he'll be 34 and we "only" have to pay him $12M for the remainder of his contract.

Fifth - We have lost MUCH worse players than Franzen over the years.  Many and more of them, and we've always been OK.  We'll survive without Franzen too.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#46 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

First - for how many more seasons is Franzen going to be a 25 goal scorer?  He's 33 right now.  He's got another SEVEN seasons with a $4M cap hit.  Once his production starts declining, since he contributes nothing else, how much longer does $4M stay good value for money?

Second - The early retirement penalties that have been brought in are a biatch.  No-one expected the likes of Franzen to see out their contracts, now if he retires early, its the Wings who get punished while he sits on his mountains of cash.

Third - I hate the message that Franzen sends to our youngsters.  Have a couple of half-decent seasons, sign a mega-bucks lifetime contract and coast your way into retirement

Fourth - As I already mentioned, we've had the best years of Franzen's contract - the years of artificially low cap hit with decent production.  The contract is only going to get worse from here on out.  If we buy him out after next season, he'll be 34 and we "only" have to pay him $12M for the remainder of his contract.

Fifth - We have lost MUCH worse players than Franzen over the years.  Many and more of them, and we've always been OK.  We'll survive without Franzen too.

The last four points reinforce the main point, but the first point is all that really matters.  He is our top goal scorer, however, that will change weather he's on our team or not.  He was on pace for another 28 goal season, which is great, and he's still a useful player right now but his style of play will wear down his body fast and for a guy that used to be huge for us in the playoffs, he's done pretty much nothing over the past 3 playoff runs.  He won't get better, he will get worse and I think it would be foolish for this to end any other way other than a buyout.  The Wings cannot get stuck with this contract after he turns 35.

#47 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Dan Rosen @drosennhl 7m

RT @BrianHedger: Bowman said they will use compliance buyouts on Montador and Olesz. #Blackhawks

#48 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the clarifications.

Do the buyouts have to be done before FA begins?  At least for this off-season's rounds?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#49 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the clarifications.

Do the buyouts have to be done before FA begins?  At least for this off-season's rounds?

Yes

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Dan Rosen @drosennhl 7m

RT @BrianHedger: Bowman said they will use compliance buyouts on Montador and Olesz. #Blackhawks

For those unclear, this means that Hossa will remain in Chicago.

#51 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Dan Rosen @drosennhl 7m

Since Montador's caphit is less than the 3M required for compliance buyout, won't part of his caphit remain?

#52 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

For all the bad that comes along with Franzen's contract, he is still our leading scorer more often than not. Lecavalier is not a goal scorer, and anyone we sign to replace Franzen will cost far more, I don't see any reason to buy him out this season.

I'd use only one buyout this year though (Sammy) and save the other for next season in case Franzen's production drops or in the case of Tatar or Nyquist developing into players who can offset the loss of Franzen's goal scoring. Right now, he's still a massive bargain as far as Cap hits are concerned so why not at least keep him one more season.

We know this years Free Agent class is weak, odds are the next one will be too, but it will be the first year until the tighter cap so maybe we see a few better options hit the market next off-season.

Since Montador's caphit is less than the 3M required for compliance buyout, won't part of his caphit remain?

The 3 Million threshold was only for the accelerated buyouts used before this off-season. (Gomez and Redden)

Now that we are in the official buyout period there is no salary restrictions on who can be bought out.

#53 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Ideally we would only Amnesty Sammy (if not tradeable) and use best trades available for Tootoo and Cola to open up roster space. I would then Amnesty Franzen at the end of next year as our youth really comes of age. We can't afford to keep both him and Z long term on the books. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#54 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

For all the bad that comes along with Franzen's contract, he is still our leading scorer more often than not. Lecavalier is not a goal scorer, and anyone we sign to replace Franzen will cost far more, I don't see any reason to buy him out this season.

I'd use only one buyout this year though (Sammy) and save the other for next season in case Franzen's production drops or in the case of Tatar or Nyquist developing into players who can offset the loss of Franzen's goal scoring. Right now, he's still a massive bargain as far as Cap hits are concerned so why not at least keep him one more season.

We know this years Free Agent class is weak, odds are the next one will be too, but it will be the first year until the tighter cap so maybe we see a few better options hit the market next off-season.

The 3 Million threshold was only for the accelerated buyouts used before this off-season. (Gomez and Redden)

Now that we are in the official buyout period there is no salary restrictions on who can be bought out.

Vinny is one of a handful of players that have scored 50 goals in a season.
This years Free Agent class is weak?
Lecavalier, Iginla, Horton, Clarkson, Bickell, Dupuis, Stallberg, Morrow, Zubrus, Ribeiro, Ryder, Elias, Jagr, Bozak, Roy, Clowe... and more to be bought out

#55 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm all for signing Lecavalier, but signing him and cutting Franzen and Flip loose in the same off-season is a net loss for the Wings when it comes to scoring. Franzen would actually be a very good player to line-up with Lecavalier giving us a strong 2nd line.

As far as the FA class is concerned its not a certainty that all those players will hit the market, rights can still be traded, agreements can still be made and when July 1st rolls around I expect that list to look much worse. (Also when I said weak I mean in comparison to Franzen). The guys that will be left will probably be the guys who are looking for contracts similar in length to Franzen's (but for far more money).

There is no Parise or Suter in this years field, there are some risky veterans and a bunch of guys looking for a payday based on a good season or 2. Considering we'd have to buy Franzen out before we can attempt to sign anyone, how angry would everyone be if we bought him out and let Flip go, then failed to land Lecavalier or any of the other better free agents out there?

Ideally for me I'd buyout Sammy, and make sure I left enough room to chase Lecavalier, leave a buyout open for next season and if Franzen declines use the buyout on him then. I see no reason to use it on him this off-season.

#56 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, I wasn't aware it only applied to accelerated buyouts.

#57 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'd use only one buyout this year though (Sammy) and save the other for next season in case Franzen's production drops or in the case of Tatar or Nyquist developing into players who can offset the loss of Franzen's goal scoring.

No, I agree, buy out Sammy this week, and Franzen next summer.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#58 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:19 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Feaster strikes again.

#60 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

Calgary gets younger. Sarich and O'Brien play a similar style. Interesting trade.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien