• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dynheart

Howard a top 6-8 goalie?

Rate this topic

Same. I remember the dead wing era too. sigh sigh... lol

Howard and Mrazek. Can't really get much better than that. It would be nitpicking at that point. Although...Mrazek hasn't really been tested at the NHL level yet. But he's pretty much a good to go.

Cujo signed in 2002; hardly trying times for Wings fans.

That being said, let's please not turn this into a goalie wars thread. This is a very interesting and worthy topic; I'd hate to see the thread get pulled for a few people who want to dredge up old times and beat them to death yet again.

I consider elite to be top 2-3 goalies in the league, and usually not flash in the pans either, long term success goes into being elite or else Eliot/Mason/Nemi/etc would be 'elite' because they had one or two good season then faded.

I get what you are saying.

Howard is a consistent goalie in my opinion. 4 seasons. 3 out of the 4 he's been in the top 10, or higher, in every stat....while being a workhorse. Sophomore slump year. Does anyone remember that year? He was a sub .900/ 3.00+ goalie all year...signs the contract...Bam! He's rookie Howard for the rest of the season (with a little bit better rebound control). Goes into the playoffs and plays well. He salvaged that year because he played like the Jimmy we know today the last quarter of the season (there abouts).

Makes you wonder if that was his issue all year: "Am i going to get signed? Am I trade bait?" Sign him earlier and I wonder if that second season wouldn't look so bad. But that's just an observation of mine, And something that I cannot ever prove, or we'll ever know. It's written in history now.

My point with that is, is he was more than capable that year to play like his first season...his third season and 4th season, but the contract year (and Holland holding out all season) messed with his head. When he got signed...he played like Jimmy Howard (like a top 10 goalie). No wonder he was making a big deal about it this year; not wanting it to get to his head.

It's a theory of mine...but look at the stats. It all fits.

But back to the thread at hand. He's been getting better every year. I think he peaks in about 2 more years and holds it till about 35.Typical goalie. So 6-8 isn't for fetched. Realistically? He'' probably top out at 8.

Edited by Dynheart

I think this season will be Howards best season and I think he will get Vezina talk. Last season he was getting plenty of Vezina talk until he got injured and that knocked him off his game. This season he started out badly but I blame that on not playing a game for 9 months. In this shortened off season I think Howard will be among the best in the NHL. I dont think he will dominate one stat but overall I think he will be one of the best.

Guest Crymson

Lundquist, Miller, Rask, Rinne, Thomas (if he plays again), Quick, Ward, Andersson are all clearly bettere I think he is around 12 - 15 which is average - good but not elite.

Lundquist, Rinne, Quick, and Rask, sure. Anderson does not play enough to make his worth clear, and he has some bad games. Ward is good but not elite. Thomas has not played in over a year. Miller has been in decline for several seasons now. He is no longer 2010 Olympics Miller or 2010 Vezina Miller, and he has not been for some time.

I'd place Lundquist, Rinne, Quick, and Rask definitively ahead of Howard. With the rest of the very good goaltenders, it's a toss-up.

Holland as much as said the other day that Mrazek will be in Grand Rapids until his waiver exemptions are gone. That is 3 years from now, he'd rather him playing 60 games in Grand Rapids than playing 20 in Detroit.

That's not quite what he said. He said Gustavsson was under contract next season and they would rather Mrazek played 60 games in the AHL at this moment.

Depending on their play in 13-14, decides their destinies in 14-15. If Gustavsson turns into Conklin 2.0, and Mrazek has the traditional struggles with the "difficult 2nd album" then Mrazek stays inthe AHL. Mrazek continues his improvements and Monster does nothing ,then Mrazek will be backing up Jimmeh in 2 years time.

Hopefully the latter. I don't want to see Jimmeh keep playing 60-odd games per season and being ground into dust by Babcock.

Goalie stats are affected by the team in front of them. A goalie that plays on a good defensive team would have better stats with them than he would on a team that isn't as good defensively.

Which helps his case even more since hes been playing behind the worste defenses the Wings have had since the early 90's and still putting up top 10 numbers.

He had one average year and the rest he has played like a top 10 goalie, this year he played borderline top 5ish I would say. His games played, combined with his stats including leading the league in shut outs which is overlooked here.

I think hes probably around 9. I would take him over Miller now for sure