Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

17yr old hockey player charged for on-ice assault.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:37 AM

The price for snowing a goalie is a 2 minute unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

The price for a blind side cross check to someone's head followed by a flurry of punches to his already concussed head is a criminal assault charge.

As you said he played with fire, now he's getting burnt. He also knew exactly what he was doing and now he's paying the price.

No the price for snowing a goalie is getting pummeled.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#62 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

No the price for snowing a goalie is getting pummeled.

It can be, but I think you'll find the 2 minute penalty is more likely.

Just like the price for pummeling a player can be a criminal charge and possibly the end of your hockey career, but more likely just a suspension.

This time the extreme in both seemed to happen. I have no problem with the guy exacting revenge...as long as he's willing to face the consequences for his 

.actions. In this case the consequences are a criminal assault charge.

#63 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

The difference obviously being that one action here is highly provocative and controllable while the other is reactionary and emotional and thus less controllable. I suppose you will argue that this guy beating up a fellow hockeyplayer is provoking to some, yes apparently but not to me.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#64 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

I can agree to disagree but I would like to leave you with one question.

If that doesn't warrant a criminal charge, how far would a player have to go before you'd feel criminal charges would be warranted?

Honestly, I don't know what exactly would make me want to bring the law in, I just know that I don't think it's this

#65 onemorecup

onemorecup

Jr. Prospect

• 20 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think the context of the game had a lot to do with it as well. A game filled with fights previously and a blow out score and the team that's up disrespects the goalie and rubs their nose in the fact they're getting blown out. I can see easily why the kid went off the handle so I think the punishment originally given out was fair and criminal charges would be going way overboard.

#66 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

I think the charge was absolutely warranted and I don't think the league gave him even close to a sufficient punishment. That the Woodstock player was suspended at all is a joke, but I wouldn't be upset if the Brantford player was given a permanent ban from minor hockey.

There is no room in the game for that kind of cowardly garbage.

Please. The kid gave the goalie the snowshower of the century and he got his butt handed to him by a guy who wanted to drop the gloves. I'd take that kid that pounded him every day of the week instead of a chicken**** who wants to snow your goalie when your team is ALREADY WINNING. If this kid got pounded outside of a sports event, sure, levy the charges, but if someone in football got squarely tackled, people would be out of their seats... and if you just ran up and tackled a guy on the street, you'd get arrested. its the same thing here. The only cheap shot was the smart*** who got pummeled when he snowed the goalie... if anything, his team should have been down a man after that.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.