• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Should we trade our 2013 1st round pick?

Rate this topic

Before everyone jumps at me and says $#!% NO! Hear me out...

Two years ago in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft we traded our first round pick (24th overall) to the Ottawa Senators for their two second round picks (35th and 48th overall). This move benefited us in a huge way. Ottawa landed Matt Puempel with their pick, while we landed two studs, arguably our top forward and defense prospects (not on the Red Wings roster this upcoming season); Tomas Jurco and Xavier Ouellet.

One would have to think that it would be just as beneficial to do the same thing in this years draft. With this being such a deep draft, the difference between picking in the 15-20 range is virtually the same as picking in the 30-40 range, depending on what you're looking for. Anyone after the 10th pick is considered somewhat of a gamble, so why not grab another pick to increase your odds in picking up a future player.

We need some big forwards to add to our deep prospect pool, and luckily for us, big bodied forwards are plentiful in this draft, so we could very easily pick up a couple. So how about if the Wings traded their 2013 first round pick (18th overall) to a team for two later picks in the late first round or early second round...

Maybe one of these trades would work...

Calgary - 22nd and 28th overall (very unlikely)

Montreal - 2 of either 25th, 34th or 36th overall

Columbus - 27th and 44th overall

Dallas - 29th and 40th overall

Personally, I would love it if we could get the 25th and 34th picks from Montreal for our 18th. Select whatever player is still available with the 25th pick, maybe someone like Gauthier will still be around and then grab McCarron with the 34th pick...

Thoughts?...

I would trade down for more picks if they think can get players they want later

Two years ago in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft we traded our first round pick (24th overall) to the Ottawa Senators for their two second round picks (35th and 48th overall). This move benefited us in a huge way. Ottawa landed Matt Puempel with their pick, while we landed two studs, arguably our top forward and defense prospects (not on the Red Wings roster this upcoming season); Tomas Jurco and Xavier Ouellet.

One would have to think that it would be just as beneficial to do the same thing in this years draft. With this being such a deep draft, the difference between picking in the 15-20 range is virtually the same as picking in the 30-40 range, depending on what you're looking for. Anyone after the 10th pick is considered somewhat of a gamble, so why not grab another pick to increase your odds in picking up a future player.

We need some big forwards to add to our deep prospect pool, and luckily for us, big bodied forwards are plentiful in this draft, so we could very easily pick up a couple. So how about if the Wings traded their 2013 first round pick (18th overall) to a team for two later picks in the late first round or early second round...

Personally, I would love it if we could get the 25th and 34th picks from Montreal for our 18th. Select whatever player is still available with the 25th pick, maybe someone like Gauthier will still be around and then grab McCarron with the 34th pick...

Thoughts?...

No to McCarron

As I stated in the draft thread, I would love to see us trade the 18th pick for San Jose's three 2nd round picks.

Would give us three picks in a row in the top 50 at 48,49,50 as well as 58. Throw in whatever on either side to make it work.

Would also give San Jose almost back to back picks in the first round at 18 and 20.

Keeping in mind its a very deep draft and anyone after the top 15 is a gamble.

I can certainly understand trading back for more picks, especially because it's the Wings style. But this draft is as close to the 03 draft as were going to see in a while in terms of potential NHL prospects. At 18, guys like Horvat, Pullock, Mantha, Gauthier, Morin and others will be available. Would be nice to nab one of them.

id trade down for more picks theres alot of players im really interested in this year and alot of big power forward types, something like montreals 26 and 34 interest me and then even there if we could ship off the 26th to like sj for 48 and 49 id do it and end up with something like 34 48 49 50 (yes i know it wont happen but id do something like that )

fasching sanford bailey dauphin mccoshen pesce poirier hayden are all guys who interest me who should be available in the 2nd round ... wish we had more picks

that being said im high on valentin zykov and would love to nab him

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Thoughts?...

No, because we need a bigger guy that has a really good report like Anthony Mantha. No gambling this draft for extra picks. Use 18 and take Mantha who has potential to be a power forward type by the looks of it, which is exactly what we need.

id trade down for more picks theres alot of players im really interested in this year and alot of big power forward types, something like montreals 26 and 34 interest me and then even there if we could ship off the 26th to like sj for 48 and 49 id do it and end up with something like 34 48 49 50 (yes i know it wont happen but id do something like that )

fasching sanford bailey dauphin mccoshen pesce poirier hayden are all guys who interest me who should be available in the 2nd round ... wish we had more picks

that being said im high on valentin zykov and would love to nab him

If not Mantha, then yes to Zykov. Read good things about him too.

The organizational depth is such that the Wings can likely afford to actually trade up right now. They could really use a home run scoring forward right now.

Package deal for 3rd pick to take Drouin? I'd like to see what Kenny would offer for said pick.

I can certainly understand trading back for more picks, especially because it's the Wings style. But this draft is as close to the 03 draft as were going to see in a while in terms of potential NHL prospects. At 18, guys like Horvat, Pullock, Mantha, Gauthier, Morin and others will be available. Would be nice to nab one of them.

I'd like Pulock more than maybe anyone else in the 1st round, but he may end up on the Flyers with pick 11 at which time he will give his uncle or cousin or someone like that the thumbs up on tv....so the story goes. He's 1st on my list for the draft, but he's a Sproul type, we have Sproul and we desperately need a couple power forwards.

Thoughts?...

If our 1st round pick could produce BOTH Gauthier and McCarron I would do it... but that's provided Mantha has already been taken... I think he's more likely to be a star than either Gauthier or McCarron.

Trade up and draft Lindholm. He'll be a fine centerman the wings can build around post-Datsyuk/Zetterberg.

I'd totally be in favor of this... but how? Our 1st 2013 and 1st 2014 AND rights to Fil... to Calgary so he can play with his buddy Huds?

Interesting tidbit. Jim Nill had nearly the final say in all draft related issues before he took his job in Dallas. Today I read that Joe McDonnell will be taking over those responsibilities as the new assistant general manager. It will be interesting to see whether there are any variations in the way that they draft this season. I don't think it will be major, as our draft philosophy isn't going to get flushed down the tube, but history has show a preference for versatile two-way centers and defensemen at the draft. Maybe McDonnell likes the wingers more? Who knows, but no matter how long he's apprenticed, he's bound to have his own ideas.

Interesting tidbit. Jim Nill had nearly the final say in all draft related issues before he took his job in Dallas. Today I read that Joe McDonnell will be taking over those responsibilities as the new assistant general manager. It will be interesting to see whether there are any variations in the way that they draft this season. I don't think it will be major, as our draft philosophy isn't going to get flushed down the tube, but history has show a preference for versatile two-way centers and defensemen at the draft. Maybe McDonnell likes the wingers more? Who knows, but no matter how long he's apprenticed, he's bound to have his own ideas.

I'm not so sure he always had the final say but (to quote the article) "the draft and player development in Grand Rapids were his specialties." His duties are actually to be split between McDonnell and Martin.

I also wouldn't expect our drafting strategy to change much either as it states "Nill relied heavily on the low-profile McDonnell, especially in recent years". That's a great sign.

Here's the Article

I'm not so sure he always had the final say but (to quote the article) "the draft and player development in Grand Rapids were his specialties." His duties are actually to be split between McDonnell and Martin.

I also wouldn't expect our drafting strategy to change much either as it states "Nill relied heavily on the low-profile McDonnell, especially in recent years". That's a great sign.

Here's the Article

Mlive wrote an article today about Joe McDonnell and his draft responsibilities. Not going to say he's diverging from past trends, but it certainly sounds promising.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/06/red_wings_prefer_decent-sized.html

The organizational depth is such that the Wings can likely afford to actually trade up right now. They could really use a home run scoring forward right now.

I'm with Drake on this one... I'd rather see us trade up if we can and land ourselves a top flight forward that could hopefully come onto the big team right away and make an impact rather than a few extra lower seeded guys that will take a few years to develop

I'd love to move up into the top 8-10 but I just don't see us taking that risk. I think that getting into the top 5 is like a 0.01% chance of happening - and if it did we would all be pissed at what we gave up. We really don't need to trade down. We have almost filled GR with top prospects and we don't really need more quantity at this point.

I've never been the type to overly value draft picks. It's so hit and miss that I'd value number over rank. I can't imagine the difference between 18th and 50th or whatver being so huge as to preclude trading the first round pick for more 2nd round or a player who can contribute right now.

It helps that our prospect pool is stacked.

Package deal for 3rd pick to take Drouin? I'd like to see what Kenny would offer for said pick.

Well the Avalanche rejected Calgary's offer of their 6th, 22nd and 28th overall picks for the 1st overall and the top 3 players are all pretty damn close to each other in terms of potential so I'd say that's the kind of deal you'd have to offer as a starting point for one of those 3 picks. I do think the 4th overall pick could be a home-run too... Bob McKenzie said Aleksander Barkov (the consensus #4) was rated by some NHL teams as being no lower than 2nd overall.

While I don't doubt that MacKinnon and Drouin are incredible players I have a hard time decoupling them their personal performance from each other (and their line-mate Frk) on an absolutely stacked Mooseheads team. There's no doubt that those three performed incredibly on a line together but the big question is-- what would their individual numbers look like with crappier line mates? Drouin has a sample of play without MacKinnon due to the latter's injury at the start of the QMJHL season, but it's still hard to gauge just how much the three players impacted each other statistically, and that's really what makes me uncomfortable (and I'm sure it's factored into some scouts' minds as well).

One thing I'm not entirely sold on is the offensive potential of some of the big d-men available in the late lottery (Ristolainen and Nurse). How much of their ranking is owed to their size and strength vs pure hockey IQ/talent? Big and strong is great, but it's also something that can happen post-draft as a player physically matures. This is something teams are pretty good at estimated based on examination at the combine but I think it's worth mentioning.

I've never been the type to overly value draft picks. It's so hit and miss that I'd value number over rank. I can't imagine the difference between 18th and 50th or whatver being so huge as to preclude trading the first round pick for more 2nd round or a player who can contribute right now.

It helps that our prospect pool is stacked.

Oh for sure. The biggest issue in my mind right now is the quantity of players the Wings have in their system who are AHL ready. There will be guys who don't make the Griffins in October who really should get a shot to play AHL hockey. It'd be nice if the Wings could loan some players to other AHL teams rather than have them relegated to the ECHL but it doesn't seem like that type of thing happens much anymore (at one point AHL teams were mixed groups from different NHL franchise prospect pools).

I'm definately in the "trade up" camp. Our prospect pipeline is absolutely jammed at the minute, we don't need to trade down to get more prospects. Use some of that stash to trade up and grab a real impact player.

One thing I'm not entirely sold on is the offensive potential of some of the big d-men available in the late lottery (Ristolainen and Nurse). How much of their ranking is owed to their size and strength vs pure hockey IQ/talent? Big and strong is great, but it's also something that can happen post-draft as a player physically matures. This is something teams are pretty good at estimated based on examination at the combine but I think it's worth mentioning.

Ristolainen has quite possibly the hardest shot in the entire draft and is very much a 2-way guy as shown in the last two world juniors. Nurse does project more as a big aggressive defensive shut-down guy who's very mobile as does Zadorov.

I say we move up to #5 Carolina is suppose to be shopping that pick hard. I would package our 1st pick + a prospect + Roster guy like Emmerton/Colo? Possibly?

I agree as long as that prospect isn't named Nyquist. Two of Barkov, Nishkinen, or Lindholm would still be available. Edited by MasterPavel

Definitely trade up to secure the best possible power forward available to us. As stated by others, there's enough depth in the system already. Size and scoring punch is what's missing. If Holland could package the 18th pick and the rights for Filppula to move up one or two picks I would be happy.