Photo
- - - - -

Should we trade our 2013 1st round pick?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm definately in the "trade up" camp.  Our prospect pipeline is absolutely jammed at the minute, we don't need to trade down to get more prospects.  Use some of that stash to trade up and grab a real impact player.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#22 Donnie

Donnie

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I say we move up to #5 Carolina is suppose to be shopping that pick hard. I would package our 1st pick + a prospect + Roster guy like Emmerton/Colo? Possibly? 

#23 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

One thing I'm not entirely sold on is the offensive potential of some of the big d-men available in the late lottery (Ristolainen and Nurse).  How much of their ranking is owed to their size and strength vs pure hockey IQ/talent?  Big and strong is great, but it's also something that can happen post-draft as a player physically matures.  This is something teams are pretty good at estimated based on examination at the combine but I think it's worth mentioning. 

Ristolainen has quite possibly the hardest shot in the entire draft and is very much a 2-way guy as shown in the last two world juniors. Nurse does project more as a big aggressive defensive shut-down guy who's very mobile as does Zadorov.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#24 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

I say we move up to #5 Carolina is suppose to be shopping that pick hard. I would package our 1st pick + a prospect + Roster guy like Emmerton/Colo? Possibly? 

I agree as long as that prospect isn't named Nyquist. Two of Barkov, Nishkinen, or Lindholm would still be available.

Edited by MasterPavel, 27 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#25 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Definitely trade up to secure the best possible power forward available to us. As stated by others, there's enough depth in the system already. Size and scoring punch is what's missing. If Holland could package the 18th pick and the rights for Filppula to move up one or two picks I would be happy.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#26 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

I'd totally be in favor of this... but how?  Our 1st 2013 and 1st 2014 AND rights to Fil... to Calgary so he can play with his buddy Huds?

I don't think Calgary trades back at all, especially with the Wings unless they throw in Mrazek in a deal. I think their best chance is to trade up with Carolina, or if Lindholm somehow falls past Calgary, trade up with Edmonton.

I would love it if this kid somehow ended up on the Wings. He has Detroit written all over him with his great two-way game. He's also cousins with Jarnkrok and played on his wing most of this season as a rookie, but naturally he's a center.

I also found on HFboards that he finished the season 4th all time in ppg as a 17 year old at .63, behind Forsberg and the Sedins.

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

I'm with Drake on this one... I'd rather see us trade up if we can and land ourselves a top flight forward that could hopefully come onto the big team right away and make an impact rather than a few extra lower seeded guys that will take a few years to develop

Yes.

Don't Toews me, bro!