Photo
- - - - -

Hindsight Drafting...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Hindsight Drafting?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Which draft year would you change?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

2001 may be looked back upon with more fondness had Grigorenko not nearly died in a car crash.

I remember six months after the draft when the WJCs were in Halifax and he dominated vs Canada en route to gold. Everyone was saying what a steal he was at 62 earlier that year.

Yeah, Grigorenko absolutely got wrecked by that accident.  I had forgotten that he was a 62nd pick - I assumed he was a late 1st rounder because that guy was absolutely expected to be the "next" diamond unearthed by the Wings in the early 2000's.

I refuse to vote on the poll, however, because 2008 is really the latest one I feel at all comfortable passing judgment on.  For example, Landon Ferraro is 21 years old right now, and actually had a good year for the Griffins.  He's also logjammed behind a bunch of other forwards (Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, etc.) who are around his age or even a little older and just broke in with the Wings.  Are you ready to say that he is or isn't a "bust"?  I'm not!