• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnz96

McBeast

Rate this topic

Guest Johnz96

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlive.com%2Fbroncos%2Findex.ssf%2F2013%2F06%2Fwmu_hockey_adds_two_defenseman.html&ei=llnLUb37PMegyAGh6YDQBw&usg=AFQjCNEsqzFIYM7DLgLDFXQ7S_qPne21CA&sig2=YvMx7LdPBBPcL34bOvoMQA&bvm=bv.48340889,d.aWc&cad=rja

wmu coach andy Murray’s eyes lit up when talking about McKee, a Detroit Red Wings draft pick.

“Mike is working at forward and defenseman,” Murray said. “I think he’s an unbelievably fit kid and he can play forward or defense. He’s played defense the last two years. At this point, we’re looking at him as a defenseman, but he came here at 6-5 and weighed in at 255 and we think he’s going to play at 260. (Detroit Red Wings coach) Mike Babcock really likes him. I do know that.”

He was 31st in scoring among USHL d-men despite missing 22 of 64 games and being ejected (or in the box) for a lot of the ones he did play in.
Here is a comment from his coach indicating his importance to the team to have him on the ice rather than in the box.
“If this (six-game suspension, his sixth of the 2012-13 season) doesn’t get the message across to him … He sat in that penalty box for three goals against Fargo the other night. We need him on the ice for 25-plus minutes, as opposed to in the penalty box for 15 minutes.” — Lincoln Stars head coach Chad Johnson (Lincoln Journal-Star, March 2013).
(he managed to play in all 5 playoff games score 4 assists and only(lol) had 18 PIMs)
He scored at the same PPG as Nick Jensen at the same age in the same league who is considered to have very good offensive potential..

Guest Johnz96

He lacks discipline. If he can get his head straight I'm very excited about him :)

Well there's no fighting in college, so he is just going to have to play hockey and Andy Murray is a great coach especially for developing young kids.

He lacks discipline. If he can get his head straight I'm very excited about him :)

I'll 2nd that. And I like Johnz96's nickname of McBeast cause that's what he seems to be. I'll take a super sized punch to the entire Eastern Conference, cause apparently we need to get tougher..... maybe McKee will be on that short list to get on the team.

An aggressive 6'5 260 pounder that plays both forward and defense sounds awesome. I like that Babs loves him too, he's also a young kid who has had a lot of size for a few years, the discipline will come especially under Murray.

Well there's no fighting in college, so he is just going to have to play hockey and Andy Murray is a great coach especially for developing young kids.

Pretty crazy considering this kid was a nearly 300pim player in the USHL. I think it was bold of him to sign with a college team. He's saying fighting isn't his all he has to offer and he wants to work on his playing skills elusively.

When you fight as much as he has it's really got to be come part of your hockey identity. It's pretty cool that we got the toughest player in that draft year and he's willing to put that aside for the time being to focus on the rest of his game. That shows that he's a focus, committed player who wants to be a pro.

Guest Kronstantinov

Can't wait to see hoe he does at WMU. Certainly one of the more interesting prospects.

One may wonder what the Wings plan to do with this guy. He's a big tough SOB that can play forward of defense. If he plays D, he could be our Scott Stevens type which would make my day, but if he played forward, dare I say he could be as close as we could get to our old fan favorite Bob Probert. Not saying he's the same as the 2 guys above, but it would be nice to think we have a guy in our system that could play one of those 2 roles, and hopefully do it well.

One may wonder what the Wings plan to do with this guy. He's a big tough SOB that can play forward of defense. If he plays D, he could be our Scott Stevens type which would make my day, but if he played forward, dare I say he could be as close as we could get to our old fan favorite Bob Probert. Not saying he's the same as the 2 guys above, but it would be nice to think we have a guy in our system that could play one of those 2 roles, and hopefully do it well.

Would love to see McKee stay at forward & become a mix of Probert/Kocur and Homer i.e. a huge net front presence that will turn around and punch you in the mouth if you start any shenanigans.

How does McKee skate? That pretty much will determine the rest of his career. A big lumbering goof who likes to fight won't make it in today's game. A tough guy who can skate a quality shift has a future however.

How does McKee skate? That pretty much will determine the rest of his career. A big lumbering goof who likes to fight won't make it in today's game. A tough guy who can skate a quality shift has a future however.

McKee is a very good skater for his size. One of the things that made him so attractive

Guest Johnz96

He is reportedly a very good skater, I think that's what prompted Murray to say "I think he’s an unbelievably fit kid..."

Well good deal. If you can skate and you've got that kind of size and attitude you can help someone in the NHL. I'll have to follow his development a little more closely. Thus far I've pretty much focused all my attention on Richard Nedomlel as our future blueline tough guy. But he's more like Volchenkov and less a fighter.

If he was to have a similar playing style to one of those two, I would prefer it to be Scott Scott Stevens. Then he and Kronwall can alternate destroying people with open ice hip-checks.

After watching all of the documentaries covering fighters in hockey, after all of those deaths, has really changed how I personally feel towards having a player who's job is almost completely just to fight. Staged fighting shouldn't exist in hockey anymore, it's just too dangerous. (Not that all of his fights were staged, obviously*)

Now what would make me really happy is if he will be as willing to stand up for his teammates as Probert was. That's what is key, and that is something this team desperately lacks. I want people to be afraid to pull cheap-shot crap on our guys.

I don't know much about this kid other than his size, but if he has any offensive prowess and knows how to use his big body, then he has potential to be a very key component to future success.

....I can't get the Scott Stevens idea out of my head now. It would be this :nhl_crach: every night.

I'm sorry, but the second I read that it made me think of this lol:

http://youtu.be/tdbORXEmbnk

EDIT: *Felt the need to clarify

Edited by Wingsfan72