• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#21 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:29 AM

These FAs need to dial back their expectations a bit... with salary cap getting across board reduction it basically equals a salary decrease vs value for all player contracts going forward.

No, you need to realise that mid-tier UFAs are "over-paid" under the CBA structure, and thats the way it is.  Quality RFAs are under-paid because of the punitive compensation required for even a small offer sheet (1st and 3rd for $2 to $3M! 4 x 1sts for $5M+ !!!)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#22 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Not crazy at all. Hes good.

Well - for a guy capable of 60 points (give or take several points)  - to me he's asking too much $$$...

For a smaller cap hit - I'd rather have/keep Franzen.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

pretty crazy considering his history with injury problems  and im pretty sure hes been basically a 45-60 pt career guy .. id stay far away from horton

If his salary demands  were to come down - then I'd say he might be worth it...Otherwise I agree with ya.

Horton Hears A 'Who do you think will pay you that price'

Canes - Isles - Panthers - aka teams that won't make the playoffs.

:lol:

#24 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

No, you need to realise that mid-tier UFAs are "over-paid" under the CBA structure, and thats the way it is.  Quality RFAs are under-paid because of the punitive compensation required for even a small offer sheet (1st and 3rd for $2 to $3M! 4 x 1sts for $5M+ !!!)

this is a really good point. If the offer sheet rules were a little less, RFAs would make more and probably demand a little less once they hit UFA status.... some may be trying to make up for their lower RFA contracts with big money on the open market.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#25 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

We're not getting bigger this summer. At least, not through free agency. :confused:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#26 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

this is a really good point. If the offer sheet rules were a little less, RFAs would make more and probably demand a little less once they hit UFA status.... some may be trying to make up for their lower RFA contracts with big money on the open market.

Just think what the Habs will have to pay PK Subban in a few years...

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:00 AM

If the Bruins are smart, they re-sign both of them and let Jagr, Ference..walk. Rask is one of the coming elite goalies, Horton is just a beast. That said, I'd rather have Clarkson at 4,5 than Horton at 5,5.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

We're not getting bigger this summer. At least, not through free agency. :confused:

Please forgive my ignorance on who's available this summer via UFA, but from what I do know - there's nobody really worth breaking the bank for...

Bickell/Clarkson probably won't live up to their respective price tags...Maybe a guy like Michael Ryder could be added for a "reasonable" price...Whatever "reasonable" is nowadays :lol:

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Bickell, Clarkson, Horton.

Yes, they're all going to be overpaid, but that's the norm these days. If you want a first-line power-forward (which we need), you're gonna have to pay up.

We're in a good spot. We just need a shot in the arm, i.e. a big, mean scoring winger, and perhaps a Weiss-type (eh). If we can do that, all while trimming the fat and bringing up the kids, we'll be doing the best we can. Anything short of that, though, will be a pretty big disappointment, IMHO, especially with the way we threatened in these past playoffs.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:35 AM

I guess you guys are right. Stars will continue to make big bucks and the lower tier players are going to get their salaries cut to fall in line with new salary cap.

I was dumb to think it would be across the board for teams and not mirror reality where 10% of the people continue to make all the money and increase their wealth the last decade while the rest are stagnant or losing...

My bad.

Edited by Rhah, 27 June 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#31 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Please forgive my ignorance on who's available this summer via UFA, but from what I do know - there's nobody really worth breaking the bank for...

Bickell/Clarkson probably won't live up to their respective price tags...Maybe a guy like Michael Ryder could be added for a "reasonable" price...Whatever "reasonable" is nowadays :lol:

That's my thought, too. As mentioned above, there are going to be teams that throw more money at guys like Bickell, Clarkson, and Horton than they're likely worth. In my estimation, Detroit is more likely to add a Ryder or Clowe-type. A second-tier guy with size who can put up some points. I would be happy to see them add Ryder, provided it's not the only move they make this summer.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#32 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

We know Holland doesn't like paying market prices for free agents, so I don't see us signing Horton at that price.  Not sure if we should either.  

Holland is willing to play the 'quality NHL team' market price, not the Minnesota Wild inflated joke price.  There's a reason why those joke, overpayment contracts are attached to joke teams.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#33 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Holland is willing to play the 'quality NHL team' market price, not the Minnesota Wild inflated joke price.  There's a reason why those joke, overpayment contracts are attached to joke teams.

Yeah, let's not forget that the 'market price' quote came from a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

#34 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Bickell, Clarkson, Horton.

Yes, they're all going to be overpaid, but that's the norm these days. If you want a first-line power-forward (which we need), you're gonna have to pay up.

We're in a good spot. We just need a shot in the arm, i.e. a big, mean scoring winger, and perhaps a Weiss-type (eh). If we can do that, all while trimming the fat and bringing up the kids, we'll be doing the best we can. Anything short of that, though, will be a pretty big disappointment, IMHO, especially with the way we threatened in these past playoffs.

.....and Clowe.

Srsly, he might be a decent middle six addition at a bargain.

......or Iginla.

It's amazing how no one's throwing his name around. I know he didn't want to come t Detroit at the deadline, but he also didn't want to go to Boston. I think he'd score 30 on Datsyuk's wing.

Just for fun, how about both?

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#35 legaleaglewingsfan

legaleaglewingsfan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, let's not forget that the 'market price' quote came from a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Didn't that CBJ squad almost sneak into the playoffs. Admittedly if they don't secure goalie Bob they will be back in the bottom of the league but having seen this team up close they have righted the ship. As far as that player goes I think we can all agree he is a ******.

#36 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

Didn't that CBJ squad almost sneak into the playoffs. Admittedly if they don't secure goalie Bob they will be back in the bottom of the league but having seen this team up close they have righted the ship. As far as that player goes I think we can all agree he is a ******.

True, they did. But they've still handed out more than their fair share of bloated contracts. And yes, he certainly is. Regardless of what's behind those stars - I agree.

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

It seems like everybody is willing to overpay for players nowadays.  Not just the bad teams.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 Bannedforlife

Bannedforlife

In heaven, everything is fine.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Haha, I hope that the Jackets never make the playoffs during his contract, and that the Wings do every single time :)

#39 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

I guess you guys are right. Stars will continue to make big bucks and the lower tier players are going to get their salaries cut to fall in line with new salary cap.

I was dumb to think it would be across the board for teams and not mirror reality where 10% of the people continue to make all the money and increase their wealth the last decade while the rest are stagnant or losing...

My bad.

Just like in the REAL WORLD where the rest of us toil.

#40 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,308 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Right! Hudler gets 4 mil per. Flip gets 5 mil per. But we are going to nab Horton for Franzen money. Sure guy.

Franzen is way overpaid and has an awful contract *rolls eyes* for that contract he should be scoring 12 million goals/year