• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Homer use to score ugly goals for us and I think not having that type of player on our roster and the turnovers is why were not sucessful

No success whatsoever since 08. Pathetic.

#22 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Montador and Olesz spent the season in the minors, I doubt they affect the cap.

Well they do affect the cap and now it's been officially reported they're being bought out...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#23 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

I can't believe how gaga everybody is going over Bickell and Clarkson.  Half this forum goes into an uproar about Franzen, his contract, and how he hasn't played up to the level he was signed at.  And now we're going to pay more for Bickell or Clarkson, who have a shorter period of goal scoring success?  Horton is the only one with a track record for goal scoring, and he's going to make a fortune.

Does the difference between wanting a guy and not wanting a guy really boil down being able to punch people once in a while?

Well - punching people may come in handy now that we're in the Eastern Conference.....However I do agree with your view overall.....For all we know - Bickell/Clarkson could be versions of Eric Cole; tending to play well for 1 franchise, and not many other.

These 2 guys could very well be like Marty Lapointe; sign big, and then disappoint for the remainder of the contract.....We don't want, nor need that.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#24 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well - punching people may come in handy now that we're in the Eastern Conference.....However I do agree with your view overall.....For all we know - Bickell/Clarkson could be versions of Eric Cole; tending to play well for 1 franchise, and not many other.

These 2 guys could very well be like Marty Lapointe; sign big, and then disappoint for the remainder of the contract.....We don't want, nor need that.

For real, Bickell hasn't score more than 17 goals in any of his NHL seasons and Clarkson has had one and half good years.  Sure they're both tough but to even consider paying them the kind of money they would make on the open market is insane for Detroit.  Unless we want five million plus wrapped up in guys who can barely skate, are physically strong, and MAY contribute offensively. 

You know what's funny, even last year when Clarkson had his breakout 30 goal season he still only had 8 more points than Bertuzzi. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

You could say that about any player ever. Same with the Lapointe comment that seems to keep popping up.

So because it didn't work out with that player we should never take that risk again? Be cautious when throwing out big contracts but you have to take risks every once in a while.

Having said that next summer may be the better time to take that risk on a UFA...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

You could say that about any player ever. Same with the Lapointe comment that seems to keep popping up.

So because it didn't work out with that player we should never take that risk again? Be cautious when throwing out big contracts but you have to take risks every once in a while.

Having said that next summer may be the better time to take that risk on a UFA...

Bickell has one good postseason under his belt. He hasn't even got a good regular season. He's going to either go with the Blackhawks or get massively overpaid by a needy team purely on his single good postseason performance. The Wings don't need to take that risk.

#27 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

Bickell has one good postseason under his belt. He hasn't even got a good regular season. He's going to either go with the Blackhawks or get massively overpaid by a needy team purely on his single good postseason performance. The Wings don't need to take that risk.

That's why I said it'd be better to wait till next summer....

Vince Lombardi

#28 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I agree that risks need to be taken but not with Bickel. If a guy can put up 30 goals and 70 points then yes you take a risk with big money. This is not the guy you take that risk on for the money some team is gonna throw at him. 

#29 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Agreed GoaloeManPat. Just for the record I never stated I wanted Bickell. I just disagreed with F.Michaels statements. Hence the waiting till next summer comment.
Vince Lombardi

#30 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Actually we paid Tootoo to ride the pine, the other 2 were hurt.

does EVERYONE forget that Tootoo played 42 out of 48 games this season, maybe he didn't get a lot of ice time, but he was still playing almost every night...

#31 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:38 PM

I can't believe how gaga everybody is going over Bickell and Clarkson.  Half this forum goes into an uproar about Franzen, his contract, and how he hasn't played up to the level he was signed at.  And now we're going to pay more for Bickell or Clarkson, who have a shorter period of goal scoring success?  Horton is the only one with a track record for goal scoring, and he's going to make a fortune.

Does the difference between wanting a guy and not wanting a guy really boil down being able to punch people once in a while?

Clarkson can be just as good of a point producer as horton and is going to be cheaper, tougher, and more durable.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#32 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

In a cap world where space is tight you need to minimize those risks, and unfortunately neither Clarkson, nor Bickell are worth what they'll try to get via UFA - regardless what they've done in the past 12, or so months.

Next summer just might be a better time - however it's been rumoured that this upcoming draft weekend could be a time for some "wheeling & dealing".

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#33 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Clarkson can be just as good of a point producer as horton and is going to be cheaper, tougher, and more durable.

lol.  Clarkson has scored more than 20 goals exactly once and never topped 50 points.  Horton has scored more than 20 goals six times, and topped 50 points four times.  I'll agree that he'll be cheaper and that he's likely tougher.  But to suggest that he's as capable a point producer ignores the entirety of both their careers, and rests on the demonstrably false assumption that a 30 year old player is somehow going to develop offense he's never had up to that point in his career.  If you believe that then I've got a 5 million dollar contract for Valtteri Filppula I'd love to have you sign. 

Clarkson had a good season last year.  Nathan Horton has been scoring goals his entire career.  No comparison. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#34 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

...should've won the Conn Smythe.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#35 Rivalred