10 replies to this topic

#1 Adidarw

Adidarw

All Day I Dream About Red Wings

• HoF Booster
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Drafting is one part skill and one part luck. And sometimes bad luck can turn out to be the best kind.

The Detroit Red Wings had the fourth pick at the 1983 NHL Draft and targeted local prospect Pat LaFontaine. But when LaFontaine was taken by the New York Islanders with the third pick, the Red Wings had to settle for their second choice.

That player was a talented but smallish center who worked out OK. Detroit might not have gotten the player it wanted, but by the timeSteve Yzerman retired 23 years later, the Red Wings wouldn't have changed a thing about how that day went.

NHL.com's Dream Draft panel has named Yzerman as the best No. 4 first-round pick.

#2 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

Great stuff!  I like looking at the public voting and seeing 53% picked someone (Mike Gartner, Larry Murphy, Ron Francis) other than Yzerman.  Really?  lol

#3 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

My favorite part was who was selected for the #30 best All Time pick.... The one the only.... Simon Depres... Yes... The kid who doesn't even have a full NHL season under his belt lol... Wtf?

#4 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

My favorite part was who was selected for the #30 best All Time pick.... The one the only.... Simon Depres... Yes... The kid who doesn't even have a full NHL season under his belt lol... Wtf?

I have never heard that name in my entire life. No joke.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#5 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have never heard that name in my entire life. No joke.

He is a penguins prospect that hasn't played a full NHL season yet... But he is the eat EVER pick at 30 lpl

#6 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Well, they tied their hands behind their back when they limited themselves only to #30 picks which had been taken in the first round, so 2nd round #30s were ineligable.  Given that, the choice was this Despres kid, Rickard Rackell (?) and David Steckel.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#7 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

It was 30th overall picks which is what Ozolinsh was picked at...

#8 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

If I remember rightly it was 30th picks that were taken as part of the first round, there's only been 30 teams for a comparably short time only a handful of 30th picks in the first round have seen any NHL ice time.

#9 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Who's the best #171 pick of all time? ;-)

#10 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Ahh, unanswered prayers.  I played on a regional all star baseball team with Pat Lafontaine.  Absolute great guy.  Could'nt wait to see him as a Wing.  Now, I admire Stevie Y as much as anyone I can think of.

#11 HelmFan

HelmFan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Why did the Islanders have the 3rd overall pick? wasn't this during their dynasty years? seems odd.