• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Adidarw

Best 4th Overall Pick in NHL History: Steve Yzerman

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675168&navid=nhl:topheads

Drafting is one part skill and one part luck. And sometimes bad luck can turn out to be the best kind.

The Detroit Red Wings had the fourth pick at the 1983 NHL Draft and targeted local prospect Pat LaFontaine. But when LaFontaine was taken by the New York Islanders with the third pick, the Red Wings had to settle for their second choice.

That player was a talented but smallish center who worked out OK. Detroit might not have gotten the player it wanted, but by the timeSteve Yzerman retired 23 years later, the Red Wings wouldn't have changed a thing about how that day went.

NHL.com's Dream Draft panel has named Yzerman as the best No. 4 first-round pick.

My favorite part was who was selected for the #30 best All Time pick.... The one the only.... Simon Depres... Yes... The kid who doesn't even have a full NHL season under his belt lol... Wtf?

I have never heard that name in my entire life. No joke.

Well, they tied their hands behind their back when they limited themselves only to #30 picks which had been taken in the first round, so 2nd round #30s were ineligable. Given that, the choice was this Despres kid, Rickard Rackell (?) and David Steckel.

If I remember rightly it was 30th picks that were taken as part of the first round, there's only been 30 teams for a comparably short time only a handful of 30th picks in the first round have seen any NHL ice time.

Ahh, unanswered prayers. I played on a regional all star baseball team with Pat Lafontaine. Absolute great guy. Could'nt wait to see him as a Wing. Now, I admire Stevie Y as much as anyone I can think of.