• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kronstantinov

Letang Turns Down 8x$7m

Rate this topic

This looks like "Jordan Staal Part II". Quite frankly I'm surprised Shero made that kind of offer. Does he not understand that one of the contributing factors to the Pens failures is the fact that they have no depth? Crosby makes almost $9 mil per year, Malkin is over $9 mil, Fleury, Martin and Neal are all making $5 mil. And now you want to blow another $7 mil on a one dimensional defenseman? I think they're lucky he rejected the deal.

This.

It is better for them that he didn't accept. That would have absolutely handcuffed them.

This.

It is better for them that he didn't accept. That would have absolutely handcuffed them.

You CAN'T just handcuff the best GM in the business, he knows what he is doing guys, plus the only need Crosby really, they can pout the waterboy on the ice as a filler, and crosby will win them a cup... right? right?!?!?

Amazed they made it and even more amazed he turned it down.

Pretty much this. No-one else can offer him an 8 year contract, so he's either incredibly greedy, or he really, really wants out of Pittsburgh.

I wonder if Edmonton has any interest?

Not for that cap hit when they already have inflated salaries for Hall and Eberle and will have to pay to keep Nuge, Schultz and Yakupov assuming Yak doesn't get dealt in a package to the Preds for Weber. And in the deep corners of the earth there are rumors that Gagner will be going to Toronto for Phaneuf.

Well, he still has one more year on his contract at $3M. They might as well keep him until the next trade deadline and see what they can get. Crosby's wingers are not getting any younger, Kunitz 33 Dupuis 34, as well so they are going to need someone to play with him.

Guest Crymson

Holland here is your chance, bring in Letang and pair him with a shutdown guy. I know he is not Weber, Suter, Chara, Pietrangelo or Karlsson but Letang is elite, I'd love him in red and white.

A huge contract for a one-dimensional defenseman? No thanks. Elite? Not a chance; elite defensemen don't get regularly turned inside-out in their own zone. And in the first place, much of Letang's offensive success comes from playing in an offense-first system with a bunch of scoring dynamos.

In any event, Letang has made it clear that he'd like to play for the Leafs if the Penguins don't keep him. At that salary, they can have him.

Edited by Crymson

His rejection screams, "What? Drew Doughty money? lololol... No, I'm better."

Edit: Just saw this on Twitter: "Letang's trade value to all teams. 1 NHL player with multiple yrs left, 1st round pick and prospect."

Yikes, lol.

Edited by Jesusberg

Guest Johnz96

It's too bad he didn't accept that offer, it would have assured that the Pens wouldn't be a Cup contender for 8 years.
He is not worth that much. He is a good offensive defenseman but his numbers are inflated because he sacrifices defense to produce offense and so do his most prominent teammates.
Allocating that kind of money to 3 players would leave with them with a very weak supporting cast.

His rejection screams, "What? Drew Doughty money? lololol... No, I'm better."

Edit: Just saw this on Twitter: "Letang's trade value to all teams. 1 NHL player with multiple yrs left, 1st round pick and prospect."

Yikes, lol.

That's the Pens asking price? Well considering he just turned down a $7 mil per year contract, why would anyone give up all that and then have to sign him to a $8 mil per year long term contract? I mean, this is Kris Letang, not Nick Lidstrom or Bobby Orr.

I think HE thinks the Pens thought Paul Martin was the best D on their team and maybe he just wants out of the Burgh. I read a statement from him regarding this and it sounded like he thought that was a bit of a slap in the face.

Good God, they really offered him that much? Letang has "Brian Campbell" written all over him (remember that Blackhawk's contract?). Or maybe "Sergei Gonchar", for a more familiar, Pens-centric reference.

Top-level offensive performance from defenseman really is a fleeting thing in the NHL. It's as much a product of your system as it is the skill of the defenseman, and it can be gone in a heartbeat. Just look at Jay Bouwmeester, or any number of Florida or Nashville defensemen (Andy Delmore?) that were 20 goal scorers once and never again. True shut down defenders are rare, but that is a commodity that carries over from year to year.

Yes, Letang is a skilled powerplay weapon, but he also plays with Crosby and Malkin. Even more than the money, I really wouldn't want Letang on my team if you had to pay him and play him as a #1 defenseman. He's been involved in way too many 5-4 games where the defense was a complete mess, and that could never have happened as consistently as it did if he were an elite defender along the likes of Chara, Keith, Weber, etc.

Guest Crymson

That's the Pens asking price? Well considering he just turned down a $7 mil per year contract, why would anyone give up all that and then have to sign him to a $8 mil per year long term contract? I mean, this is Kris Letang, not Nick Lidstrom or Bobby Orr.

Yep. No team has any reason to trade for him right now. They're better off waiting a season; his value is virtually sure to not increase.

You CAN'T just handcuff the best GM in the business, he knows what he is doing guys, plus the only need Crosby really, they can pout the waterboy on the ice as a filler, and crosby will win them a cup... right? right?!?!?

If you ask Bettyman.

I'm just surprised some here would want him at that price tag. Sure he scores, but I don't think he plays that smart defensively. He's undersized and seems to be out of position often. That's not elite imo. Wings are better off developing Smith to be that kind of guy for cheaper.

Guest Johnz96

I'm just surprised some here would want him at that price tag. Sure he scores, but I don't think he plays that smart defensively. He's undersized and seems to be out of position often. That's not elite imo. Wings are better off developing Smith to be that kind of guy for cheaper.

He takes risks to create offense. Someone here referred to Kronwall as a turnover machine (lol). Letang IS a turnover machine.

I don't want him for that money but it's silly to say you wouldn't want him at all unless you think all of our dmen are better than him.

Plus that boy would look goooood in a Wings sweater <3