• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Wingsfan72

Wingsfan72

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

It would be offensive if he was to make more than lidstrom. I don't care how much the cap goes up.

If I die tell my wife I said, "Hello".

#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,746 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

Looks like he could go to Toronto. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Good God, they really offered him that much?  Letang has "Brian Campbell" written all over him (remember that Blackhawk's contract?).  Or maybe "Sergei Gonchar", for a more familiar, Pens-centric reference.

Top-level offensive performance from defenseman really is a fleeting thing in the NHL.  It's as much a product of your system as it is the skill of the defenseman, and it can be gone in a heartbeat.  Just look at Jay Bouwmeester, or any number of Florida or Nashville defensemen (Andy Delmore?) that were 20 goal scorers once and never again.  True shut down defenders are rare, but that is a commodity that carries over from year to year. 

Yes, Letang is a skilled powerplay weapon, but he also plays with Crosby and Malkin.  Even more than the money, I really wouldn't want Letang on my team if you had to pay him and play him as a #1 defenseman.  He's been involved in way too many 5-4 games where the defense was a complete mess, and that could never have happened as consistently as it did if he were an elite defender along the likes of Chara, Keith, Weber, etc. 

#44 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

That's the Pens asking price?  Well considering he just turned down a $7 mil per year contract, why would anyone give up all that and then have to sign him to a $8 mil per year long term contract?  I mean, this is Kris Letang, not Nick Lidstrom or Bobby Orr.  

Yep. No team has any reason to trade for him right now. They're better off waiting a season; his value is virtually sure to not increase.

#45 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

You CAN'T just handcuff the best GM in the business, he knows what he is doing guys, plus the only need Crosby really, they can pout the waterboy on the ice as a filler, and crosby will win them a cup... right? right?!?!?

If you ask Bettyman.

#46 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

What does Iginla make of this? Isn't it supposed to go the other way around, players doing everything they can to be/stay a Penguin?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#47 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm just surprised some here would want him at that price tag. Sure he scores, but I don't think he plays that smart defensively. He's undersized and seems to be out of position often. That's not elite imo. Wings are better off developing Smith to be that kind of guy for cheaper.

#48 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm just surprised some here would want him at that price tag. Sure he scores, but I don't think he plays that smart defensively. He's undersized and seems to be out of position often. That's not elite imo. Wings are better off developing Smith to be that kind of guy for cheaper.

He takes risks to create offense. Someone here referred to Kronwall as a turnover machine (lol). Letang IS a turnover machine.

#49 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Really got to wonder why he doesn't want to stay in Pittsburgh.

#50 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

I don't want him for that money but it's silly to say you wouldn't want him at all unless you think all of our dmen are better than him.
Plus that boy would look goooood in a Wings sweater <3

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#51 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't want him for that money but it's silly to say you wouldn't want him at all unless you think all of our dmen are better than him.

All our d-men are a much better value against the cap than  Letang at $7m per.
SAnd the only reason you say that is because you haven't seen him in a Wings sweater.

#52 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

He wants more than $7 million a year. No way the Wings give up the 3 chips the Penquins want for him and then make him the teams highest paid player.

Let some other desperate team overpay.

#53 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

He wants more than $7 million a year. No way the Wings give up the 3 chips the Penquins want for him and then make him the teams highest paid player.

Let some other desperate team overpay.

Fixed that for you ;)

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#54 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

Letang is an idiot

#55 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 PM

I don't want him at that pricetag either but you have to wonder if its Pittsburgh run and gun style making him look bad OR is he really that bad in terms of defensive responsibility? If its the latter then this guy has no business asking for 8 m per, thats Suter money and he is not as good as him.

Pietrangelo and his agent must be in heaven right now, Streit getting over 5million per, Gonchar the same one and now Letang is asking for 8 annually hopefully he prices himself out of the Blues market :-)

Edited by frankgrimes, 28 June 2013 - 11:14 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#56 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

His rejection screams, "What? Drew Doughty money? lololol... No, I'm better."

Edit: Just saw this on Twitter: "Letang's trade value to all teams. 1 NHL player with multiple yrs left, 1st round pick and prospect."

Yikes, lol.

Just I be clear I don't want him in Detroit if he wants to be paid like and elite dman, but in order to get him the wings would probly have to offer: Franzen, 1st, Sproul.

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

I'm not really gonna hate on him for this. Not yet, anyway.

Why: he is, I think, saying he doesn't want to be a Penguin anymore. And what's not to like about that?

Not saying the trade demands are where they objectivly should be or that he should be making more than Lidstrom. But, maybe he just wants out.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

Renaud Lavoie @RenLavoieRDS 3m

Kris Letang contract with Penguins. 8 years / 58 M (#58!) 7.25 AVV Limited no trade to 15 teams. #RDS

HAHA... Salary Cap Hell coming!

#59 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

That hit is insane. What the hell are they going to do?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#60 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 3m

Kris Letang contract with Penguins. 8 years / 58 M (#58!) 7.25 AVV Limited no trade to 15 teams. #RDS

HAHA... Salary Cap Hell coming!

just came here to post this. HAHAHA goodbye whatever little depth they had left. 

hope this means dupuis is on the move out of that horrible organization :P 

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."