• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
joshy207

Finnish club Jokerit moving to KHL

Rate this topic

This is quite weird. I wouldn't be surprised to see their arena attendance drop as the team is leaving behind all their rivalries. The league is old and Jokerit is an old team and now they're basically destroying all the traditions. I don't think people will be that interested in supporting their team to win some unknown teams in a league that's based in another country.

This is quite weird. I wouldn't be surprised to see their arena attendance drop as the team is leaving behind all their rivalries. The league is old and Jokerit is an old team and now they're basically destroying all the traditions. I don't think people will be that interested in supporting their team to win some unknown teams in a league that's based in another country.

Agreed Jokerit may very well be one of the most known european clubs. They have a huge tradition, a fantastique fanbase. Why the hell should they be interested in playing against teams for another country, in a very questionable league?

Don't let the russians buy them!

With native-born players leaving for North America and the KHL already, I wonder if they feel the quality of their league is dropping and a move to the KHL would give their fans better hockey to watch. A move like this could work if other clubs follow suit and help transform the KHL from a mostly-Russian league to a full European/Asian league with teams all over the map.

Agreed Jokerit may very well be one of the most known european clubs. They have a huge tradition, a fantastique fanbase. Why the hell should they be interested in playing against teams for another country, in a very questionable league? Don't let the russians buy them!

It sounds like the buying is already done.

I'm not sure this is a great move by Jokerit either.

I don't think their attendance will suffer all that much, but I don't think they were turning much of a profit as it was, and now their travel costs will skyrocket. Combine that with them going from a top team in the FEL to an also ran in the KHL they will probably be losing a lot of money.

I'm not sure what advantages there are to teams joining the KHL from outside Russia, the league seems to make its rules up as they go, and it seems that they are slanted in such a way that the Russian clubs get all the advantages.

The further the league expands the more I wonder how long it can continue losing money like it does, but I guess most European Soccer/football clubs operate at massive losses as well and they are still operating strongly so maybe the KHL's model will work.

With native-born players leaving for North America and the KHL already, I wonder if they feel the quality of their league is dropping and a move to the KHL would give their fans better hockey to watch. A move like this could work if other clubs follow suit and help transform the KHL from a mostly-Russian league to a full European/Asian league with teams all over the map.

I think that KHL would benefit from replacing some of the Russian teams having financial problems with Finnish and eventually maybe Swedish teams. After Jokerit joins Sweden is the only major hockey country in Europe which does not have a team in KHL.

I don't think their attendance will suffer all that much, but I don't think they were turning much of a profit as it was, and now their travel costs will skyrocket. Combine that with them going from a top team in the FEL to an also ran in the KHL they will probably be losing a lot of money.

I'm not sure what advantages there are to teams joining the KHL from outside Russia, the league seems to make its rules up as they go, and it seems that they are slanted in such a way that the Russian clubs get all the advantages.

The further the league expands the more I wonder how long it can continue losing money like it does, but I guess most European Soccer/football clubs operate at massive losses as well and they are still operating strongly so maybe the KHL's model will work.

First thing that popped into my head when I heard this news: Their travel is going to SUCK now.

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/finland/sm-liiga/

Their farthest opponent was only 332 miles (535km) away

http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/russia/khl/

Now their farthest opponent is 4445 miles (7155km)

What do you mean by rules slanted to the advantage of Russian teams? In fact, the only difference in the KHL rules is that the non-Russian teams don't have any limit on the number of foreign (non-Russian) players they can sign. That is an advantage to the non-Russian clubs, as they, theoretically, can ice as many as 25 Canadians for their teams, if they want.

Guest Crymson

Imagine the travel times in a series between Jokerit and Admiral Vladivostok. That's a 4,200 mile flight each way---twice as far as a jaunt from Los Angeles to New York City.

C'mon, guys, I'm sure it's just a joke.

YES, YES I DID.

I came into this thread literally just to see if this pun had been said in some form and if not claim it and beat a hasty retreat.

I am sad it has been taken. I have literally nothing else to offer this thread.

What do you mean by rules slanted to the advantage of Russian teams? In fact, the only difference in the KHL rules is that the non-Russian teams don't have any limit on the number of foreign (non-Russian) players they can sign. That is an advantage to the non-Russian clubs, as they, theoretically, can ice as many as 25 Canadians for their teams, if they want.

The one I was referring to is the one that allows teams to sign a Russian player away from the NHL and have it not count against the salary cap.

It was worded by Malamud that it was for returning "Russian" players but its possible that it would be extended to Finnish or Swedish players as well, however the only teams that can afford to throw around such money are the Russian clubs backed by big money.

Jokerit with its increased travel costs wouldn't be able to compete with an NHL contract so in essence that rule gives a huge advantage to the Russian clubs.

Just did a bit of internet searching and the reactions are just like mine would have been, if some shaddy russians would have bought my club and sent them to a league, nobody cares about:

1. Fan clubs of Jokerit are already singing the goodbye Jokerit song --> they are going to stop supporting the team --->atmosphere will be very businesslike and thats not what european fanculture is about

2. Fan's are feeling robbed - understandable

3. even hardcore fans are looking for another team to fell in love with. Man I really feel sorry for them it's must be like losing one of your best friends :(

What the KHL and their shaddy owners aren't getting is the fact, that most european fans are perfectly fine with being "feeders" to the NHL, other than that we are happy with our national leagues, our historic rivalries and seeing young homegrown talent develop into "stars" and possible someday NHL players. I love hockey and follow other leagues too but I couldn't even name an active KHL player right now - oh well one Mirasty John - it really sucks, that the oil driven shaddy money is now pouring its dirty eye into hockey too.

I feel really sorry for the fans of Jokerit. Also a big FU to the owners, shame on you for selling out tradition in order to become another plastic club in a baby-league nobody - other than of course Russians a- cares about. I hope the attention is dropping to 3 digits and the atmosphere to suck hard.

The KHL has failed with their unrealistic expectation s and now they are trying to use their shaddy tatics in order to force other clubs into this joke of a league. Here are some news for you russian billionaires nobody cares, leave our national leagues alone thanks.

btw. the CEO (GM) of another famous finnish hockey club TPS Tuurku has already been quoted saying, that they are neveer going to join the KHL or sell themselves to russian billionaires.

#

must be nice seeing finnish star players and young guys getting beaten up for no real reason against Chekov or however that goon club is spelled...

Edited by frankgrimes

When I was a kid in the mid-90's Jokerit was to me like Red Wings is now with a huge rivalry with TPS (that was like Penguins and their star Saku Koivu was like Crosby). A lot has changed since then. I don't care that much. I feel bad for their fans though.

When I was a kid in the mid-90's Jokerit was to me like Red Wings is now with a huge rivalry with TPS (that was like Penguins and their star Saku Koivu was like Crosby). A lot has changed since then. I don't care that much. I feel bad for their fans though.

From Sweden and Finnland the two clubs I always appreciated (no matter the standings) are Faerjestads, Djurgardens and Turku, Jokerit from Finnland.

I think it points to a very bad future for the sport itself, if you can just buy a club and re-create it in another league. The owner of Jokerit should be ashamed of himself I hope fans are giving it to him, once the new starts.

It sucks for the fans right now,completely understand them,but after some time with the much bigger budget financed by the league's sponsors as well, Jokerit could keep the majority of the young and best players and bring back some finnish veterans from the NHL so the things could change from the fans perspective in the future.

The foreigner limit for the russian clubs is an advantage for the NHL as well,otherwise it will be harder to bring european players to NHL with all the big money the top KHL clubs can splash

It sucks for the fans right now,completely understand them,but after some time with the much bigger budget financed by the league's sponsors as well, Jokerit could keep the majority of the young and best players and bring back some finnish veterans from the NHL so the things could change from the fans perspective in the future.

The foreigner limit for the russian clubs is an advantage for the NHL as well,otherwise it will be harder to bring european players to NHL with all the big money the top KHL clubs can splash

This is NOT about the budget and like mentioned most european fans are fine with being feeders to the NHL (bar none the best league in the world). Fans want simple things, history, home grown talent and some hatred in their rivalries the KHL provides none of them, heck I would even go as far and question their longtime future.

Maybe the KHL is the second best league in the world in the end if terms of life-quality, safety and reputation it is nowhere near as closes as the longtime established leagues in Finnland, Sweden and Switzerland. This is not a knock against the KHL its just the reality and the KHL is and will always be seen as mostly Russian and former UDSSR type of league.

This is NOT about the budget and like mentioned most european fans are fine with being feeders to the NHL (bar none the best league in the world). Fans want simple things, history, home grown talent and some hatred in their rivalries the KHL provides none of them, heck I would even go as far and question their longtime future.

Maybe the KHL is the second best league in the world in the end if terms of life-quality, safety and reputation it is nowhere near as closes as the longtime established leagues in Finnland, Sweden and Switzerland. This is not a knock against the KHL its just the reality and the KHL is and will always be seen as mostly Russian and former UDSSR type of league.

I wouldn't argue with you about the long-term prospects of the KHL, and while it is mostly Russian at the moment, it is 180 degrees from "former USSR". It was conceived by Fetisov and others, specifically to be a polar opposite of the then Russian superleague. Its business model and structure have nothing whatsoever to do with the old Soviet league. And with Jokerit joining, and perhaps an Italian and an Austrian teams to follow, the number of the non-Russian clubs will reach a third of the KHL. That's getting close to a truly pan-European league.

I wouldn't argue with you about the long-term prospects of the KHL, and while it is mostly Russian at the moment, it is 180 degrees from "former USSR". It was conceived by Fetisov and others, specifically to be a polar opposite of the then Russian superleague. Its business model and structure have nothing whatsoever to do with the old Soviet league. And with Jokerit joining, and perhaps an Italian and an Austrian teams to follow, the number of the non-Russian clubs will reach a third of the KHL. That's getting close to a truly pan-European league.

The thing I fail to understand is this:

Why don't they just sponsor their own Russian teams? Are all Russian teams in the KHL that rich that they don't need any help from very very wealthy investors? If I were Russian born and they'd rather spend money on foreign clubs than our own I'd be very pissed. The KHL is also known for their goonclub Chekov, so Jokerit now needs to sign some tough guys for the first time ever, because otherwise they are going to get beaten up badly.

As for Austrian and Italian clubs joining I highly doubt that, they just don't have the money like most european clubs in order to compete in the KHL in terms of salary, player rights and of course don't forget the enormous travel.

Like I said nothing against the KHL a but I think the league and the rest of europe would be better off with not joining the KHL.