• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

When I was a kid in the mid-90's Jokerit was to me like Red Wings is now with a huge rivalry with TPS (that was like Penguins and their star Saku Koivu was like Crosby). A lot has changed since then. I don't care that much. I feel bad for their fans though.

From Sweden and Finnland the two clubs I always appreciated (no matter the standings) are Faerjestads, Djurgardens and Turku, Jokerit from Finnland.

I think it points to a very bad future for the sport itself, if you can just buy a club and re-create it in another league. The owner of Jokerit should be ashamed of himself I hope fans are giving it to him, once the new starts.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#22 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

With native-born players leaving for North America and the KHL already, I wonder if they feel the quality of their league is dropping and a move to the KHL would give their fans better hockey to watch.  A move like this could work if other clubs follow suit and help transform the KHL from a mostly-Russian league to a full European/Asian league with teams all over the map.

It sucks for the fans right now,completely understand them,but after some time with the much bigger budget financed by the league's sponsors as well, Jokerit could keep the majority of the young and best players and bring back some finnish veterans from the NHL so the things could change from the fans perspective in the future.

What do you mean by rules slanted to the advantage of Russian teams? In fact, the only difference in the KHL rules is that the non-Russian teams don't have any limit on the number of foreign (non-Russian) players they can sign. That is an advantage to the non-Russian clubs, as they, theoretically, can ice as many as 25 Canadians for their teams, if they want.

The foreigner limit for the russian clubs is an advantage for the NHL as well,otherwise it will be harder to bring european players to NHL with all the big money the top KHL clubs can splash

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

It sucks for the fans right now,completely understand them,but after some time with the much bigger budget financed by the league's sponsors as well, Jokerit could keep the majority of the young and best players and bring back some finnish veterans from the NHL so the things could change from the fans perspective in the future.

The foreigner limit for the russian clubs is an advantage for the NHL as well,otherwise it will be harder to bring european players to NHL with all the big money the top KHL clubs can splash

This is NOT about the budget and like mentioned most european fans are fine with being feeders to the NHL (bar none the best league in the world). Fans want simple things, history, home grown talent and some hatred in their rivalries the KHL provides none of them, heck I would even go as far and question their longtime future.

Maybe the KHL is the second best league in the world in the end if terms of life-quality, safety and reputation it is nowhere near as closes as the longtime established leagues in Finnland, Sweden and Switzerland. This is not a knock against the KHL its just the reality and the KHL is and will always be seen as mostly Russian and former UDSSR type of league.

kftx.jpg

#24 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

This is NOT about the budget and like mentioned most european fans are fine with being feeders to the NHL (bar none the best league in the world). Fans want simple things, history, home grown talent and some hatred in their rivalries the KHL provides none of them, heck I would even go as far and question their longtime future.

Maybe the KHL is the second best league in the world in the end if terms of life-quality, safety and reputation it is nowhere near as closes as the longtime established leagues in Finnland, Sweden and Switzerland. This is not a knock against the KHL its just the reality and the KHL is and will always be seen as mostly Russian and former UDSSR type of league.

I wouldn't argue with you about the long-term prospects of the KHL, and while it is mostly Russian at the moment, it is 180 degrees from "former USSR". It was conceived by Fetisov and others, specifically to be a polar opposite of the then Russian superleague. Its business model and structure have nothing whatsoever to do with the old Soviet league. And with Jokerit joining, and perhaps an Italian and an Austrian teams to follow, the number of the non-Russian clubs will reach a third of the KHL. That's getting close to a truly pan-European league.

#25 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

I wouldn't argue with you about the long-term prospects of the KHL, and while it is mostly Russian at the moment, it is 180 degrees from "former USSR". It was conceived by Fetisov and others, specifically to be a polar opposite of the then Russian superleague. Its business model and structure have nothing whatsoever to do with the old Soviet league. And with Jokerit joining, and perhaps an Italian and an Austrian teams to follow, the number of the non-Russian clubs will reach a third of the KHL. That's getting close to a truly pan-European league.

The thing I fail to understand is this:

Why don't they just sponsor their own Russian teams? Are all Russian teams in the KHL that rich that they don't need any help from very very wealthy investors? If I were Russian born and they'd rather spend money on foreign clubs than our own I'd be very pissed. The KHL is also known for their goonclub Chekov, so Jokerit now needs to sign some tough guys for the first time ever, because otherwise they are going to get beaten up badly.

As for Austrian and Italian clubs joining I highly doubt that, they just don't have the money like most european clubs in order to compete in the KHL in terms of salary, player rights and of course don't forget the enormous travel.

Like I said nothing against the KHL a but I think the league and the rest of europe would be better off with not joining the KHL.

kftx.jpg

#26 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

The thing I fail to understand is this:

Why don't they just sponsor their own Russian teams? Are all Russian teams in the KHL that rich that they don't need any help from very very wealthy investors? If I were Russian born and they'd rather spend money on foreign clubs than our own I'd be very pissed. The KHL is also known for their goonclub Chekov, so Jokerit now needs to sign some tough guys for the first time ever, because otherwise they are going to get beaten up badly.

As for Austrian and Italian clubs joining I highly doubt that, they just don't have the money like most european clubs in order to compete in the KHL in terms of salary, player rights and of course don't forget the enormous travel.

Like I said nothing against the KHL a but I think the league and the rest of europe would be better off with not joining the KHL.

The Rotenbergs bought the arena and a minority share in Jokerit. If you were buying an arena, would you rather buy one in Helsinki or in Novokuznetsk? Not to mention the business and political access in Finland that they must have gained with this purchase.

You must not follow KHL much. After the last season Vityaz Chekhov has been told by the league  to tone the rough stuff down, and they did. Now they are still mediocre and are no longer exciting to watch. :P

I bet you that there WILL be an Austrian or/and a Northern Italian team in the KHL within 3 years. And KHL went to unbalanced schedule, so it's no longer required that every team plays every other team the same  number of times, and they went to heavier intra-conference schedule instead.  Therefore the more Western European teams there will be in the Westernmost conference, the more of their games will be within their geographical area, and the less travel (relatively speaking) they will have to do.

The thinking of he KHL brass is that in order to compete with the NHL for players and popularity, they must expand into Western Europe. That's where the money is, after all. They believe that the existing European national leagues will at best continue to exist in their niche markets, and at worst will lose market share to the NHL and to other sports (e.g. soccer). That's why they are expanding so quickly. There's a grain of truth in that idea, IMO. I just hope they won't overextend themselves.