Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Jonathan Ericsson - should we consider trading him?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

i love ericsson  hes the biggest body we got in the back and im all up for keeping him but if i recall our last negotiations with him didnt go so well and now with what happened with filppula  i can easily see ericsson demanding 5+ per year and as much as i like him i dont believe hes worth it

Now recent reports on tsn are saying craig mctavish would gladly give away all his picks if he can fill up his roster with bodies, im thinking if the oilers can get ericsson to an extention maybe we can get the 7th overall pick?? thoughts?

maybe we can sign ference or a cheap ufa and our d would could look like ...

kronwall quincey

dekeyser kindl

smith ference

lashoff

and we got ouellet sproul backman marchenko jensen almquist coming up

that being said if we can get ericsson to sign for like 4.25 per year for 5 yrs id do it but i think he will ask for more than kronwall

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 28 June 2013 - 07:35 PM.

#2 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

No.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#3 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

The Wings will have dmen available to trade but their names are Colaiacovo & Lashoff.  Ericsson's name will not be on that list.

#4 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Quincey on the top pairing scares the hell out of me.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#5 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Wings will have dmen available to trade but their names are Colaiacovo & Lashoff.  Ericsson's name will not be on that list.

and your not worried that hes gonna demand 5+ per year and walk for free like filppula is gonna do this year???

Quincey on the top pairing scares the hell out of me.

id  rather we get rid of quincey+ extention + something like tatar for the 7th pick but im thinking longterm ... i really think ericsson will give us problems when its time to renegotiate a deal ... i really hope im wrong

#6 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

and your not worried that hes gonna demand 5+ per year and walk for free like filppula is gonna do this year???

id  rather we get rid of quincey+ extention + something like tatar for the 7th pick but im thinking longterm ... i really think ericsson will give us problems when its time to renegotiate a deal ... i really hope im wrong

We'll get something for Flip's rights and Ericsson has gotten much better the past few years, if he continues that trend he might even be worth 5+

#7 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

As always: Depends. How much does E think he is worth vs how much do we think he is worth vs how much do others think he is worth? He is 29 and in his last year. If he wants 5+ million per year, I really don't see it. He is a good solid Dman, that belongs on the second pair. He is a 3/4 not a 1/2. But 5+ million is 1/2 money. He already makes 3.25 million so wanting 5 million isn't that big of a jump.

But the part we don't know is, what could we get for E? We have 8 Dman with several more on the way. Moving 1 piece will happen. But Cola and Q will not bring back much in return. E on the other hand could. You trade from strengths to fill weaknesses. D is our strength. 8th last year in goals allowed. But 24th IIRC in goals scored.

#8 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Kindl, E, Kronners, and DeKeyser are our only solid D. None of them are going anywhere

#9 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Dbl post

Edited by number9, 28 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#10 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

No to trading Ericsson and NoNoNoNoNo to Quincey on the top pairing.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Who would have thought years ago that we'd all be saying "NO" to trading Ericsson.    :confused: 

That's partly from him improving as a defensive defenseman, and partly from Holland not adding much else to our blueline.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

negative, ghost rider

#13 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Definitely. Grass is always greener on the other side.

#14 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

No.

#15 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

We just spent 5 years grooming him into a great #2. Now trade him? Come on.

#16 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

We just spent 5 years grooming him into a great #2. Now trade him? Come on.

just worried that his salary demands will be to high and we'll lose him for nothing ... if we got him signed to say 4.5 x 5 yrs tomorrow id be happy

#17 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

just worried that his salary demands will be to high and we'll lose him for nothing ... if we got him signed to say 4.5 x 5 yrs tomorrow id be happy

We have 2 more years

#18 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

We have 2 more years

Try 1 year.  Ericsson's current contract expires after the 2013-14 season.

I'm confident he'll re-sign.  He's not one of those shifty, disloyal Finns.   :brow:

#19 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Trading Ericsson would put a massive hole into our lineup and undo years of scouting and developmental work, and we would be getting in return a player with no guarantee that he would even crack the lineup, let alone benefit the Wings. At this point the scouting and development which made Ericsson into the player he is today would have to start over on whomever we drafted with the pick.

#20 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

Iffity schmiffity. You sound a bit like my mother who makes up these scenarios in her head and starts worrying about them in advance. You can start worrying when Ericsson actually demands the $5M+/year contract.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic | | Mike Grier? |