• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Jonathan Ericsson - should we consider trading him?

Rate this topic

WTF? Trade our #2 D-Man because???

I remember when Ericsson signed his current contract and a lot of forum members thought it was overpayment. Doesn't look so bad now, eh?

That ALWAYS happens on the forum. I remember when they gave Kronwall $3M per year. Fortunately Kenny doesn't read this forum.

Trade him fir suter/weber

I somewhat disagree with pretty much everyone.

IF IF IF IF......Big E could fetch us a scorer the way Goligowski fetched Pittsburgh James Neal, then I would definitely consider it. It all depends on what we get in return.

we shouldn't try to follow in Pittsburghs steps

IF IF IF IF......Big E could fetch us a scorer the way Goligowski fetched Pittsburgh James Neal, then I would definitely consider it. It all depends on what we get in return.

I can not see this as a possibility and I can't see Ericsson asking for $5M. Defensive defenseman do not make that much money. Goligoski is an offensive defenseman. That's why they got Neal for him. And, that's why he makes $4.6 million. Ericsson has never scored more than 15 points in a season at the NHL level. Unless his offensive game totally blossoms next season, he won't command that kind of $ (in my opinion).

Here's a question. Is Ericsson good enough to be a #2 defenseman?

He's solid, but nothing special to warrant being one of your top all around guys. His offensive game is not impressive at all, even though he has a hard point shot.

Even if he did fetch someone good in return, right now I think it would destabilize the blueline too much. He's not setting the world on fire but he was the most consistent D-man on the team. With young guys like Dekeyser, Smith, and Lashoff in the lineup, they'll need that stability. Because Quincey and Kindl don't really provide it and Cola will probably be injured at some point.

He's solid, but nothing special to warrant being one of your top all around guys. His offensive game is not impressive at all, even though he has a hard point shot.

Remember that White was good enough to be a #2 guy when paired with Lidstrom.

Kronwall struggled against the top matchups and they're certainly not the best top pairing out there, but I think E is good enough to be there. Even though it surprises me somewhat to say it. I thought he'd peak as a middle pairing guy.

I don't think his offensive game has to be impressive either. It's not his role. The problem is that Ericsson and Kronwall are kind of both #2 guys.

Even if he did fetch someone good in return, right now I think it would destabilize the blueline too much. He's not setting the world on fire but he was the most consistent D-man on the team. With young guys like Dekeyser, Smith, and Lashoff in the lineup, they'll need that stability. Because Quincey and Kindl don't really provide it and Cola will probably be injured at some point.

Remember that White was good enough to be a #2 guy when paired with Lidstrom.

Kronwall struggled against the top matchups and they're certainly not the best top pairing out there, but I think E is good enough to be there. Even though it surprises me somewhat to say it. I thought he'd peak as a middle pairing guy.

I don't think his offensive game has to be impressive either. It's not his role. The problem is that Ericsson and Kronwall are kind of both #2 guys.

Lidstrom could make anyone look good, but Kronwall isn't that type of player. He makes too many defensive mistakes.

We desperately need some scoring on our blueline. Kronwall is our best offensive defenseman, but he was atrocious in the playoffs and only scored like 2 points. I do hope Holland looks to add something to our blueline in the way of scoring.

Lidstrom could make anyone look good, but Kronwall isn't that type of player. He makes too many defensive mistakes.

We desperately need some scoring on our blueline. Kronwall is our best offensive defenseman, but he was atrocious in the playoffs and only scored like 2 points. I do hope Holland looks to add something to our blueline in the way of scoring.

I have to think part of Kronwall's offensive struggles were because of his bigger defensive responsibilities. The same thing happened to Doughty in LA. He had a great year but without Mitchell or Greene he spent the first half of the season playing a more stay at home role. Gradually he started jumping into the play more, especially when they signed Regher.

Seems like Kronwall is just trying to keep his head above water in his own end, let alone contribute the offense. Hopefully that will improve. Kindl and Smith will hopefully step up and take some pressure off too.

I have to think part of Kronwall's offensive struggles were because of his bigger defensive responsibilities. The same thing happened to Doughty in LA. He had a great year but without Mitchell or Greene he spent the first half of the season playing a more stay at home role. Gradually he started jumping into the play more, especially when they signed Regher.

Seems like Kronwall is just trying to keep his head above water in his own end, let alone contribute the offense. Hopefully that will improve. Kindl and Smith will hopefully step up and take some pressure off too.

Well, Kronwall had a very good regular season offensively, but a poor regular season defensively.

In the playoffs, it was the other way around. He was very solid defensively, but his scoring completely disappeared and our powerplay struggled as a result.

Well, Kronwall had a very good regular season offensively, but a poor regular season defensively.

In the playoffs, it was the other way around. He was very solid defensively, but his scoring completely disappeared and our powerplay struggled as a result.

True. I guess I was thinking more of his goalscoring and in my head thought it was a down year overall.

One of the most frustrating parts was his inability to get a shot through from the point. He'd wait forever, then shoot anyway and drill it into shinpads.

Much of the question comes from the question: is Ericsson a #2 or better Dman? I don't think so. Everyone throughout the league considers Stuart a #3. Is Ericsson any better a dman than Stuart? No. So then the question becomes, is a 3/4 worth 5 million per year? No. Now the money is a guess. maybe E is willing to sign a long term deal for 4-4.5 million. But that is still a bunch of money for a second pair guy.

Rig is dope. Up him 6 years, 27 mil.

You just used the word dope which I must say is pretty dope. If E has a good year he's worth 4.5-5 mil a year. If he has a great year and proves himself to be a solid top pair d man he's going to command 5+ and so he should. Get what the market will pay you.

Guest The Axe

You just used the word dope which I must say is pretty dope. If E has a good year he's worth 4.5-5 mil a year. If he has a great year and proves himself to be a solid top pair d man he's going to command 5+ and so he should. Get what the market will pay you.

Agreed. +1

Guest Johnz96

His offensive game and production are 2 different things and I think you are confusing the 2.

What do you think of Doughty's offensive game?

Edited by Johnz96

His offensive game and production are 2 different things and I think you are confusing the 2.

What do you think of Doughty's offensive game?

Better than Ericsson's, although he's been wildly inconsistent.

I think offensive game and production are one and the same. You have to rack up the points to have an offensive game from the blueline.

Guest Johnz96

Better than Ericsson's, although he's been wildly inconsistent.

I think offensive game and production are one and the same. You have to rack up the points to have an offensive game from the blueline.

Ericsson actually racked up one point more than Doughty this year at even-strength with a lot less ice-time. Unlike Doughty he wasn't afforded an opportunity to score on the PP.

He is a very good skater, with reach, a 100 mph slap shot who can move the puck.

I'm not saying Ericcson's offensive game is as good as Doughty's but you can't say offensive game and production are one and the same because defensemen that rack up a lot of points usually generate a lot of those on the PP. If a defenseman isn't afforded the opportunity, he won't score as much if he were even though in either case, his offensive game is equally as good.

Ice-time, luck, who you play with, when you play, the team's style of play, taking risks to score that could result in scoring opportunities for the opposition, defensive effort, cheating positionally to create more offensive chances, confidence or lack of confidence scoring which can be affected by all the things just mentioned... factor into a player's production as well as his will and ability to produce.

Edited by Johnz96

Ericsson actually racked up one point more than Doughty this year at even-strength with a lot less ice-time. Unlike Doughty he wasn't afforded an opportunity to score on the PP.

He is a very good skater, with reach, a 100 mph slap shot who can move the puck.

I'm not saying Ericcson's offensive game is as good as Doughty's but you can't say offensive game and production are one and the same because defensemen that rack up a lot of points usually generate a lot of those on the PP. If a defenseman isn't afforded the opportunity, he won't score as much if he were even though in either case, his offensive game is equally as good.

Ice-time, luck, who you play with, when you play, the team's style of play, taking risks to score that could result in scoring opportunities for the opposition, defensive effort, cheating positionally to create more offensive chances, confidence or lack of confidence scoring which can be affected by all the things just mentioned... factor into a player's production as well as his will and ability to produce.

Ericsson should get more icetime on the powerplay, but I guess Babcock loves those right handed forwards who are useless on the point (Samuelsson, Williams, Brunner).