Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Jonathan Ericsson - should we consider trading him?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:04 PM

i love ericsson  hes the biggest body we got in the back and im all up for keeping him but if i recall our last negotiations with him didnt go so well and now with what happened with filppula  i can easily see ericsson demanding 5+ per year and as much as i like him i dont believe hes worth it

Now recent reports on tsn are saying craig mctavish would gladly give away all his picks if he can fill up his roster with bodies, im thinking if the oilers can get ericsson to an extention maybe we can get the 7th overall pick?? thoughts?

maybe we can sign ference or a cheap ufa and our d would could look like ...

kronwall quincey

dekeyser kindl

smith ference

lashoff

and we got ouellet sproul backman marchenko jensen almquist coming up

that being said if we can get ericsson to sign for like 4.25 per year for 5 yrs id do it but i think he will ask for more than kronwall

I was under the impression that Smith was in need of being re-signed still. So this may be a little premature. Also Ference is a possibility but again we have no way of knowing if he will sign with us. Just a little premature to trade Ericsson if we aren't fortifying our Defence. 

#22 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

just worried that his salary demands will be to high and we'll lose him for nothing ... if we got him signed to say 4.5 x 5 yrs tomorrow id be happy

The same is true for every single free agent ever.  There's always the possibility of that.  But can't trade every potential free agent that "might" leave.  You'd be the Philadelphia Flyers, and look how well that works out for them. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#23 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:09 AM

Only if it was part of a package for that fabled top-pairing defenceman we're looking for.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#24 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:23 AM

I remember when Ericsson signed his current contract and a lot of forum members thought it was overpayment. Doesn't look so bad now, eh?

#25 poel

poel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

Only if it was part of a package for that fabled top-pairing defenceman we're looking for.

Right.

We don't need solid d-men, we need some skill on the blue line. If we can get a skilled right handed D-man like Yandle or Letang, we maybe have to give up Ericsson or Quincey in exchange. If we give up Ericsson we maybe have to add a little less to the deal as if we trade Quincey.

Edited by poel, 29 June 2013 - 05:49 AM.

#26 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

I somewhat disagree with pretty much everyone.

IF IF IF IF......Big E could fetch us a scorer the way Goligowski fetched Pittsburgh James Neal, then I would definitely consider it. It all depends on what we get in return.

#27 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

As much as I'm impressed with his growth on the ice. What makes you think he's worth a top 8 pick???? I don't think Edmonton would do that.

And I wouldn't want him dealt anyways.

#28 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

WTF?  Trade our #2 D-Man because???

I remember when Ericsson signed his current contract and a lot of forum members thought it was overpayment. Doesn't look so bad now, eh?

That ALWAYS happens on the forum.  I remember when they gave Kronwall $3M per year.  Fortunately Kenny doesn't read this forum.

Do or do not. There is no try

#29 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

Trade him fir suter/weber

IF IF IF IF......Big E could fetch us a scorer the way Goligowski fetched Pittsburgh James Neal, then I would definitely consider it. It all depends on what we get in return.

we shouldn't try to follow in Pittsburghs steps

#30 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I can not see this as a possibility and I can't see Ericsson asking for $5M.  Defensive defenseman do not make that much money.  Goligoski is an offensive defenseman.  That's why they got Neal for him.  And, that's why he makes $4.6 million.  Ericsson has never scored more than 15 points in a season at the NHL level.  Unless his offensive game totally blossoms next season, he won't command that kind of $ (in my opinion).

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Here's a question.  Is Ericsson good enough to be a #2 defenseman?  

He's solid, but nothing special to warrant being one of your top all around guys.  His offensive game is not impressive at all, even though he has a hard point shot.   

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Even if he did fetch someone good in return, right now I think it would destabilize the blueline too much.  He's not setting the world on fire but he was the most consistent D-man on the team.  With young guys like Dekeyser, Smith, and Lashoff in the lineup, they'll need that stability.  Because Quincey and Kindl don't really provide it and Cola will probably be injured at some point. 

Here's a question.  Is Ericsson good enough to be a #2 defenseman?  

He's solid, but nothing special to warrant being one of your top all around guys.  His offensive game is not impressive at all, even though he has a hard point shot.   

Remember that White was good enough to be a #2 guy when paired with Lidstrom.  

Kronwall struggled against the top matchups and they're certainly not the best top pairing out there, but I think E is good enough to be there.  Even though it surprises me somewhat to say it.  I thought he'd peak as a middle pairing guy.

I don't think his offensive game has to be impressive either.  It's not his role.  The problem is that Ericsson and Kronwall are kind of both #2 guys. 

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:28 PM

Even if he did fetch someone good in return, right now I think it would destabilize the blueline too much.  He's not setting the world on fire but he was the most consistent D-man on the team.  With young guys like Dekeyser, Smith, and Lashoff in the lineup, they'll need that stability.  Because Quincey and Kindl don't really provide it and Cola will probably be injured at some point. 

Remember that White was good enough to be a #2 guy when paired with Lidstrom.  

Kronwall struggled against the top matchups and they're certainly not the best top pairing out there, but I think E is good enough to be there.  Even though it surprises me somewhat to say it.  I thought he'd peak as a middle pairing guy.

I don't think his offensive game has to be impressive either.  It's not his role.  The problem is that Ericsson and Kronwall are kind of both #2 guys. 

Lidstrom could make anyone look good, but Kronwall isn't that type of player.  He makes too many defensive mistakes.

We desperately need some scoring on our blueline.  Kronwall is our best offensive defenseman, but he was atrocious in the playoffs and only scored like 2 points.  I do hope Holland looks to add something to our blueline in the way of scoring.  

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

Rig is dope. Up him 6 years, 27 mil.

#35 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Lidstrom could make anyone look good, but Kronwall isn't that type of player.  He makes too many defensive mistakes.

We desperately need some scoring on our blueline.  Kronwall is our best offensive defenseman, but he was atrocious in the playoffs and only scored like 2 points.  I do hope Holland looks to add something to our blueline in the way of scoring.  

I have to think part of Kronwall's offensive struggles were because of his bigger defensive responsibilities.  The same thing happened to Doughty in LA.  He had a great year but without Mitchell or Greene he spent the first half of the season playing a more stay at home role.  Gradually he started jumping into the play more, especially when they signed Regher.  

Seems like Kronwall is just trying to keep his head above water in his own end, let alone contribute the offense.  Hopefully that will improve.  Kindl and Smith will hopefully step up and take some pressure off too.

#36 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,727 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

I have to think part of Kronwall's offensive struggles were because of his bigger defensive responsibilities.  The same thing happened to Doughty in LA.  He had a great year but without Mitchell or Greene he spent the first half of the season playing a more stay at home role.  Gradually he started jumping into the play more, especially when they signed Regher.  

Seems like Kronwall is just trying to keep his head above water in his own end, let alone contribute the offense.  Hopefully that will improve.  Kindl and Smith will hopefully step up and take some pressure off too.

Well, Kronwall had a very good regular season offensively, but a poor regular season defensively.  

In the playoffs, it was the other way around.  He was very solid defensively, but his scoring completely disappeared and our powerplay struggled as a result.  

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,912 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well, Kronwall had a very good regular season offensively, but a poor regular season defensively.  

In the playoffs, it was the other way around.  He was very solid defensively, but his scoring completely disappeared and our powerplay struggled as a result.  

True.  I guess I was thinking more of his goalscoring and in my head thought it was a down year overall.

One of the most frustrating parts was his inability to get a shot through from the point.  He'd wait forever, then shoot anyway and drill it into shinpads.  

#38 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Much of the question comes from the question: is Ericsson a #2 or better Dman? I don't think so. Everyone throughout the league considers Stuart a #3. Is Ericsson any better a dman than Stuart? No. So then the question becomes, is a 3/4 worth 5 million per year? No. Now the money is a guess. maybe E is willing to sign a long term deal for 4-4.5 million. But that is still a bunch of money for a second pair guy.

#39 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:06 PM

anarchy

#40 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

Rig is dope. Up him 6 years, 27 mil.

You just used the word dope which I must say is pretty dope.  If E has a good year he's worth 4.5-5 mil a year. If he has a great year and proves himself to be a solid top pair d man he's going to command 5+ and so he should.  Get what the market will pay you.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!