Photo
* * - - - 5 votes

Jonathan Ericsson - should we consider trading him?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

You just used the word dope which I must say is pretty dope.  If E has a good year he's worth 4.5-5 mil a year. If he has a great year and proves himself to be a solid top pair d man he's going to command 5+ and so he should.  Get what the market will pay you.

Agreed. +1

#42 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Here's a question.  Is Ericsson good enough to be a #2 defenseman?  

He's solid, but nothing special to warrant being one of your top all around guys.  His offensive game is not impressive at all, even though he has a hard point shot.   

His offensive game and production are 2 different things and I think you are confusing the 2.

What do you think of Doughty's offensive game?

Edited by Johnz96, 30 June 2013 - 08:57 AM.

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

His offensive game and production are 2 different things and I think you are confusing the 2.

What do you think of Doughty's offensive game?

Better than Ericsson's, although he's been wildly inconsistent.  

I think offensive game and production are one and the same.  You have to rack up the points to have an offensive game from the blueline.    

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Better than Ericsson's, although he's been wildly inconsistent.  

I think offensive game and production are one and the same.  You have to rack up the points to have an offensive game from the blueline.    

Ericsson actually racked up one point more than Doughty this year at even-strength with a lot less ice-time. Unlike Doughty he wasn't afforded an opportunity to score on the PP.

He is a very good skater, with reach, a 100 mph slap shot who can move the puck.

I'm not saying Ericcson's offensive game is as good as Doughty's but you can't say offensive game and production are one and the same because defensemen that rack up a lot of points usually generate a lot of those on the PP. If a defenseman isn't  afforded the opportunity, he won't score as much if he were even though in either case, his offensive game is equally as good.
Ice-time, luck, who you play with, when you play, the team's style of play, taking risks to score that could result in scoring opportunities for the opposition, defensive effort, cheating positionally to create more offensive chances, confidence or lack of confidence scoring which can be affected by all the things just mentioned... factor into a player's production as well as his will and ability to produce.

Edited by Johnz96, 30 June 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#45 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ericsson actually racked up one point more than Doughty this year at even-strength with a lot less ice-time. Unlike Doughty he wasn't afforded an opportunity to score on the PP.

He is a very good skater, with reach, a 100 mph slap shot who can move the puck.

I'm not saying Ericcson's offensive game is as good as Doughty's but you can't say offensive game and production are one and the same because defensemen that rack up a lot of points usually generate a lot of those on the PP. If a defenseman isn't  afforded the opportunity, he won't score as much if he were even though in either case, his offensive game is equally as good.
Ice-time, luck, who you play with, when you play, the team's style of play, taking risks to score that could result in scoring opportunities for the opposition, defensive effort, cheating positionally to create more offensive chances, confidence or lack of confidence scoring which can be affected by all the things just mentioned... factor into a player's production as well as his will and ability to produce.

Ericsson should get more icetime on the powerplay, but I guess Babcock loves those right handed forwards who are useless on the point (Samuelsson, Williams, Brunner).  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#46 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Ericsson should get more icetime on the powerplay, but I guess Babcock loves those right handed forwards who are useless on the point (Samuelsson, Williams, Brunner).  

god that name sends chills down my spine.