• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Changing of the guard leads to new philosophy?

Rate this topic

In terms of Sunday's draft and the Wings' picks, it appears that the Wings are quite happy with the 18th pick in the 1st round (they will pick 48th and then 79th, 109th, 139th, 169th and 199th), and, somewhat surprisingly, Wings director of amateur scouting Joe McDonnell suggested that the Wings will probably draft a forward as opposed to Ye Olde Beste Player Available while speaking with the Windsor Star's Bob Duff...

“We’d really like to get a forward, unless there’s a defenceman that’s too good to pass up,” Wings head scout Joe McDonnell said of the team’s likely plan when they make their first-round pick at No. 18 overall in Sunday’s draft at New Jersey’s Prudential Center. “When it comes to our pick, if we feel there’s two players that are even we’ll lean toward the forward. We have a lot of good, young defencemen – (Ryan) Sproul, (Xavier) Ouellett, (Brian) Lashoff, (Mattias) Backman. We think we have a number of good ones. If we can add a little size up front, it would be beneficial.”

Getting bigger up front is an ongoing process for the Wings and it will continue on draft day.

“It’s just the way the game has evolved,” McDonnell said. “It’s a big man’s game. I’m not saying there’s no room for smaller guys, but if you can get a big, skilled guy, you go that route.
We’ll still take small guys if we have to, but we’re looking to get bigger. We have bigger guys coming up in (forwards Tomas) Jurco and (Riley) Sheahan.”

The Wings will go earlier on draft day than they have in many years. It’s the quickest they will be called to the podium in the first round since 1991, when they also selected a big forward, Martin Lapointe.

“We’re excited,” McDonnell said. “At 18, we know we’ll get someone we really like. The draft in general is strong, in the first round and even into the second round. It’s deep at the top end of the draft and then it peters out. There will be guys we like even in the seventh round, but the high-end part of the draft is good. At 18, we’ll get a quality player.”

This is a good thing!

To call looking for size up front at this year's draft a change in philosophy for the Wings means ignoring the last few drafts completely

Exactly, Holland has been saying for a while that we need to get bigger up front. We've found good value in the mid-rounds with smaller, skilled players, but KH has repeatedly said its a work in progress trying to get bigger. We've added size on the blue-line (Ericsson, Smith, Quincey, Kindl, Lashoff), now we need some beef up front lest our top six end up as Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Nyquist-Tatar-Brunner-Franzen

Guest Kronstantinov

To call looking for size up front at this year's draft a change in philosophy for the Wings means ignoring the last few drafts completely

Ignoring the past few decades actually.

In 92 the Wings said the will put emphasis on the team's need for size at the draft and every player picked had some size and they have been saying the same ever since and most of their picks have been big, it's just that most of the big ones haven't panned out.. Their first pick every year in the 90s (except 99 when their first pick wasn't till the 6th round) was a big one.

Change in philosophy? Not really, IMHO. More a simple reflection of reality.

That reality, of course, being that we are generally small up front, and, as every fan of the game and his mother will tell you, the NHL is becoming a big(ger and bigger and bigger) man's game. And, yeah, I know: the whole we're-gonna-die-in-the-EC thing is overblown. But it's definitely a rougher ride than what we've grown accustomed to in the WC.

Also, I'll say this yet again: we. are. effing. small. down. the. middle. Sheahan has size. Andersson has size, but he doesn't utilize it. Aubry is, what, 6'4? My impression is his stock tanked this past season. (Go figure.)

Basically: Lecavalier plz kthxbai.

Looked at MacKenzies list and this could very well be Bo Horvat, 6,0 206 lbs a center. Bob has him at 13 so I guess thats very reasonable other than that the mentioned Gauthier?

Wow at Fucale @ 19 that guy has to be a very promising goaltender prospect.

Yea....Button's mock draft on The NHL Network had us taking Horvat. Sounds like a classic Wings pick. Two-way guy, PP and PK, 33 goals. Not too shabby. He did play on the Knights tho, who I think were good, so his stats may have been padded a bit. I'd be ok with hI'm but Iideally I'd rather we draft a higher production, higher ceiling, guy. I'm wondering if this is the year to trade up.

From what I read, it seems like any of the top 3 guys would be number #1s in other years, the number 4 and 5 guys would be #2's...and so on. I think this would be the year to do it.

Yea....Button's mock draft on The NHL Network had us taking Horvat. Sounds like a classic Wings pick. Two-way guy, PP and PK, 33 goals. Not too shabby. He did play on the Knights tho, who I think were good, so his stats may have been padded a bit. I'd be ok with hI'm but Iideally I'd rather we draft a higher production, higher ceiling, guy. I'm wondering if this is the year to trade up.

From what I read, it seems like any of the top 3 guys would be number #1s in other years, the number 4 and 5 guys would be #2's...and so on. I think this would be the year to do it.

The top 5-6 are all better then Yakupov.

Some here know it and see it. Others don't believe it is an issue. The last time we drafted a big forward that turned into a star was..... Primeau.

Ah, good ol' Keith "I fell down and soaked my pants trying to split the defense again but at least I collect Mickey Mouse figurines" Primeau.