• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeymom1960

2013 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Rate this topic

Not everyone agrees with you....

ESPN’s Grant Sonier : B+. “Anthony Mantha was the only 50-goal scorer in the draft and the Wings will bring this talented winger along slowly, as is their M.O. If everything comes together with his maturity and a willingness to play hard consistently, he could be a big-time goal scorer in Motown. I liked their second-round picks as well. Zach Nastasiuk from Owen Sound of the OHL adds size and work ethic and Tyler Bertuzzi was an honorable mention on my top 50. He is as gritty a player there was on the board and in time will do whatever it takes to make the Wings.”

Sports Illustrated’s Allan Muir: B. “They picked up the Q’s only 50-goal scorer in Anthony Mantha (20). He needs to work on his consistency and battle levels, but you can’t teach hands like his. Zach Nastasiuk (48) was a fast riser heading into the draft. He’s one of those kids who does all the little things right. His grit and work ethic will make him a reliable bottom-six guy. Tyler Bertuzzi (58) is meaner than his uncle Todd. He’s as good an agitator as could be had in this draft.”

So you pick the two groups who know nothing about hockey.

So you just say that because they don't agree with what you think.

I think the consensus is that the order of reliability goes TSN>Sportsnet>Free Press>Mlive>Random poster on LGW>Eklund>>>>>ESPN.

Sorry but ESPN is literally bottom of the barrel when it comes to hockey coverage.

I think the consensus is that the order of reliability goes TSN>Sportsnet>Free Press>Mlive>Random poster on LGW>Eklund>>>>>ESPN.

Sorry but ESPN is literally bottom of the barrel when it comes to hockey coverage.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion on that just as much as you are on the draft. I was just saying that it seems like others disagree with your negative opinion of the Wings' 2013 draft.... so you may not be in the consensus there.

bleacherreport.com....

Greatest Needs: Forward depth

Top Pick(s): RW Anthony Mantha, RW Zach Nastasiuk, LW Tyler Bertuzzi, C Mattias Janmark-Nylen

The Detroit Red Wings had a number of options with their first-round pick. They ended up selecting the top goal scorer in junior hockey, winger Anthony Mantha. Mantha scored 50 goals last season and has a great shot. He needs to get more involved physically, but the Red Wings can give him the time to develop that element in his game.

The Wings also added Zach Nastasiuk of the Owen Sound Attack. He switched to the wing halfway through the season, and it made a huge difference in his game. They also added winger Tyler Bertuzzi who is a project, but has some good bloodlines as the nephew of Todd Bertuzzi.

It was some good drafting by the Red Wings.

Grade: B+

sportingnews.com....

DETROIT RED WINGS: A. Got an extra second-round pick for being willing to move down two spots in the first round, where they came away with a fine prospect in Anthony Mantha. Didn’t pick anyone smaller than 6-0, 178-pound Tyler Bertuzzi, selected with that extra second-rounder.

The reality is that, obviously, no one will know for a while how good the draftw as for anyone. But, I just don't see how anyone on this board can be complaining about this draft. It seems like in every thread multiple people are whining that the Wings and their prospects are too small and not gritty enough. So, they draft size and grit. And there's still complaining. I don't pay enough attention to who says what, so I am not directly calling you a hypocrite in particular. Just speaking about the board in general.... it seemed to me like a draft that LGW should have been pretty pleased with. I guess everyone can;t be pleased.... and some will just always find something to complain about (again, not necessarily you.... just venting I guess).

Well, you are entitled to your opinion on that just as much as you are on the draft. I was just saying that it seems like others disagree with your negative opinion of the Wings' 2013 draft.... so you may not be in the consensus there.

bleacherreport.com....

Greatest Needs: Forward depth

Top Pick(s): RW Anthony Mantha, RW Zach Nastasiuk, LW Tyler Bertuzzi, C Mattias Janmark-Nylen

The Detroit Red Wings had a number of options with their first-round pick. They ended up selecting the top goal scorer in junior hockey, winger Anthony Mantha. Mantha scored 50 goals last season and has a great shot. He needs to get more involved physically, but the Red Wings can give him the time to develop that element in his game.

The Wings also added Zach Nastasiuk of the Owen Sound Attack. He switched to the wing halfway through the season, and it made a huge difference in his game. They also added winger Tyler Bertuzzi who is a project, but has some good bloodlines as the nephew of Todd Bertuzzi.

It was some good drafting by the Red Wings.

Grade: B+

sportingnews.com....

DETROIT RED WINGS: A. Got an extra second-round pick for being willing to move down two spots in the first round, where they came away with a fine prospect in Anthony Mantha. Didn’t pick anyone smaller than 6-0, 178-pound Tyler Bertuzzi, selected with that extra second-rounder.

The reality is that, obviously, no one will know for a while how good the draftw as for anyone. But, I just don't see how anyone on this board can be complaining about this draft. It seems like in every thread multiple people are whining that the Wings and their prospects are too small and not gritty enough. So, they draft size and grit. And there's still complaining. I don't pay enough attention to who says what, so I am not directly calling you a hypocrite in particular. Just speaking about the board in general.... it seemed to me like a draft that LGW should have been pretty pleased with. I guess everyone can;t be pleased.... and some will just always find something to complain about (again, not necessarily you.... just venting I guess).

The Wings don't need any of this picks to be all stars...if they can get 1 or 2 out of this group to make the Wings down the road it will be a successful draft

Grading a teams draft is total B.S. I'm sure people thought we were crazy for taking a small forward from Russia and a small forward from Sweden in the late rounds and I think turned out pretty well. If Mantha becomes a star and any other pick even makes the team I'm happy.

Mantha by himself makes the draft a B to me, that kid is so exciting.

I just feel that it was a waste to select a guy projected to be a 6-7th rounder in the second round when there were many many better players on the board was a bad idea.

Edited by Shaman464

Grading a teams draft is total B.S. I'm sure people thought we were crazy for taking a small forward from Russia and a small forward from Sweden in the late rounds and I think turned out pretty well. If Mantha becomes a star and any other pick even makes the team I'm happy.

Agreed. If two of draft picks make the NHL Roster this draft is a success, plain and simple. If Mantha becomes a top-6 RW it's a good draft. If Mantha (or anyone else on this team for that matter) becomes a consistent 25-30 goal scorer or 70 point guy then it's a great draft.

I think Janmark-Nylen might be a 3rd line guy down the road and I would love to see Wheaton crushing some Leafs into the boards in the future.

But those were later picks. In later rounds, things become even harder to predict.

Earlier round picks are more scrutinized, hence Holland is getting some criticism with the guys he chose after Mantha.

But those were later picks. In later rounds, things become even harder to predict.

Earlier round picks are more scrutinized, hence Holland is getting some criticism with the guys he chose after Mantha.

They can scrutinize all they want but no one knows what is going to happen with the future of these kids. We might sit back five years from now and celebrate this draft. Holland know there are roles we need filled moving to the Eastern Conference and maybe Bertuzzi was the number one guy they thought could fill the role of agitator. You can't win a championship by just trying to draft only superstars.

They can scrutinize all they want but no one knows what is going to happen with the future of these kids. We might sit back five years from now and celebrate this draft. Holland know there are roles we need filled moving to the Eastern Conference and maybe Bertuzzi was the number one guy they thought could fill the role of agitator. You can't win a championship by just trying to draft only superstars.

Ya well some of these big name players taken this year in the top ten probably won't even see much nhl time in their career, and some unknown guy will be a star. That's just the way she goes

Ya well some of these big name players taken this year in the top ten probably won't even see much nhl time in their career, and some unknown guy will be a star. That's just the way she goes

My money is obviously on Hampus Melen. Now THAT is a household name! I'm not jumping on the bandwagon on this one, I'm pulling it, which is fine cause it's not heavy.

I bring this thread back from the depths for this important announcement....

For the LGW Twitter users out there, I found this gem today: @Hmelen17

Unfortunately it's mostly in what I assume is Swedish but I followed him anyway.

Hampus for conn smyth(one day)!! :P

I thought of making a twitter account just to follow Dats and Daniel Tosh, but I may have to still consider making one and following old Hampus. He seems entertaining.

I thought of making a twitter account just to follow Dats and Daniel Tosh, but I may have to still consider making one and following old Hampus. He seems entertaining.

Good ol' hampusaurus rex. Haha I actually originally made a Twitter because of tosh.0 but now I just like it. It grows on you for sure

The hands on Jonathon Drouin are just filthy - just watched a video of him on YouTube and looked over his stats from the past year and he's got that "man playing against boys" vibe to him...

Lightning are lucky to have him, and I predict he will do big things for them (as well as being a regular on the highlight reels)

Guest The Axe

Good GOD I hope this Hampus kid doesn't flare out with a pffftt because I'm REALLY stoked about the future possibilities of using his name repeatedly to describe random stuff...

Frk Melen Helm.