• Please log in to reply
572 replies to this topic

#521 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

Kind of a meh-ish draft for my liking.  Well, that is, for my initial reaction. 

Perhaps this year's crop is like a new album from one of your favorite artists that just doesn't move you right away but grows on you after a couple more thorough listenings, which isn't really a word, but you all know what I mean hopefully. 

#522 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

Anyone check out hampus's Facebook page? Dude looks like he barely weighs 150

#523 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

He's not THAT skinny.  He looks pretty much like an average teenager these days.  I'd say "fit" if anything.

Posted Image

#524 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

Kind of a meh-ish draft for my liking.  Well, that is, for my initial reaction. 

Perhaps this year's crop is like a new album from one of your favorite artists that just doesn't move you right away but grows on you after a couple more thorough listenings, which isn't really a word, but you all know what I mean hopefully. 

"Grower."

As in, "It takes awhile to really get into it. It grows on you. It's a grower."

I think we did alright. Time will tell, of course.

Disappointed that we didn't make any moves re: our immediate roster.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#525 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

I really like the Nastasiuk pick. I don't know what his offensive potential is (looks to be 2nd/3rd line tweener) but if he improves his skating then I can't see why he won't be a regular in the future at least on the bottom 6. Dude just battles hard for the puck and comes away with it often. He just looks like a guy that gives it his all every shift.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 01 July 2013 - 03:30 AM.

#526 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Judging drafts is always hard, because they are such a gamble and can't be judged till some years have passed so:

+ getting a second rounder for moving down 2 picks and still getting Mantha just superb

+ second draft in a row the Wings have gone for size

+ keeping the first overall pick

- Fils rights still not traded

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#527 nuts2u

nuts2u

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Anyone check out hampus's Facebook page? Dude looks like he barely weighs 150

Andersson met with him in February and discussed nutrition. Must have worked, he hired a personal trainer and has gone from 147 lbs to 160 lbs.

#528 turbowhistle86

turbowhistle86

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Andersson met with him in February and discussed nutrition. Must have worked, he hired a personal trainer and has gone from 147 lbs to 160 lbs.

Is it a proprietary food known as a Hampusburger?

#529 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

The draft was a mediocre one to me. Sure, these kids could be great, so I'm not saying it was a bad draft, but it lacked the excitement of whatever year it was we drafted Pulkinnen, Jurco, etc. 2010 was it?
Still, Holland did great picking up that extra second rounder.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#530 Kindl Surprise

Kindl Surprise

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

Yea it felt pretty good watching the sharks give us their second rounder for no reason and then still get the guy we want.

#531 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

She said you must be a boy with bones like that, I said you know me wellllllllll...

#532 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Pisses me off that LA traded up to get Zykov...really wanted him the Wings organization...Also they got Fasching, who I wanted too, but Holland had ample opportunity to get him, so he must not of liked him too much...also Jersey irked me by taking Santini...He will be a HUGE player in the NHL one day an I only wish that Holland was able to take him...oh well!

I love that Mantha was selected, but I do not know anything about any of the other guys taken by Holland...

Also, VERY disappointed that we didn't move Filppula...guess we will just let him walk on Friday.  Not surprised, but a little dejected that there was no Bobby Ryan trade to Detroit either.  Also intrigued that Holland put an offer in for Edler, wonder what it was? Either the price was too high or Vancouver is still mulling it over... Edler and Burrows to Detroit? :D Ya, only in a dream!

All in all, I wasn't over impressed by the draft, considering it seems like after Mantha that Holland was just drafting projects and not really addressing needs...

I do give him an A+ for Mantha, that is for sure!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#533 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

http://forum.canucks...ft/page__st__60
Anyone care to read what crazy canucks fans want for Alex elder?

In case you don't want to read it, ill tell you my favorite part... Multiple posters seem to think elder is worth Pavel Datsyuk...

That 3 page thread is one of the worst piles of crap I've ever read.  They want Datsyuk, or they want Nyquist + Frk/Jurco + 1st....... :hysterical:

Pisses me off that LA traded up to get Zykov...really wanted him the Wings organization...Also they got Fasching, who I wanted too, but Holland had ample opportunity to get him, so he must not of liked him too much...also Jersey irked me by taking Santini...He will be a HUGE player in the NHL one day an I only wish that Holland was able to take him...oh well!

I love that Mantha was selected, but I do not know anything about any of the other guys taken by Holland...

Also, VERY disappointed that we didn't move Filppula...guess we will just let him walk on Friday.  Not surprised, but a little dejected that there was no Bobby Ryan trade to Detroit either.  Also intrigued that Holland put an offer in for Edler, wonder what it was? Either the price was too high or Vancouver is still mulling it over... Edler and Burrows to Detroit? :D Ya, only in a dream!

All in all, I wasn't over impressed by the draft, considering it seems like after Mantha that Holland was just drafting projects and not really addressing needs...

I do give him an A+ for Mantha, that is for sure!

I was very surprised to see Zykov go as late as he did.  There were some kinda weird picks in the 1st round.

The draft was a mediocre one to me. Sure, these kids could be great, so I'm not saying it was a bad draft, but it lacked the excitement of whatever year it was we drafted Pulkinnen, Jurco, etc. 2010 was it?
Still, Holland did great picking up that extra second rounder.

Those guys really put their names on the map the season after they were drafted and let us know their value in the WJC.  That's the excitement of the draft is knowing they're in the organization now and really following them in their final year of Jr, or their 2nd season in the elite leagues with more ice time after a summer of hard training.  Wait to see Anthony Mantha in the WJC next year.  50 goal season should secure him a spot.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#534 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Kronwall used to be a tiny kid too, hence his early injury woes.  Now he Kronwall's guys.  Hopefully Hampus fills out that 6'2 bean pole of his and keeps up his decent scoring numbers.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#535 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

I love the big D-Men Holland took, but man we have D-Men prospects crawling out of the walls...will there be room for these two guys in 4-5 years with our current crop?

I am not saying that there was something better at those picks, but just wondering. Also just curious, without me looking it up, did we pick up any right handed shooters this draft?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#536 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

I love the big D-Men Holland took, but man we have D-Men prospects crawling out of the walls...will there be room for these two guys in 4-5 years with our current crop?

I am not saying that there was something better at those picks, but just wondering. Also just curious, without me looking it up, did we pick up any right handed shooters this draft?

Zach Nastasiuk is the only righty the Wings grabbed.  

#537 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

Kronwall used to be a tiny kid too, hence his early injury woes.  Now he Kronwall's guys.  Hopefully Hampus fills out that 6'2 bean pole of his and keeps up his decent scoring numbers.

Kronwall was always kronwalling guys. He has put on some weight and strength since he first became a wing and that has helped reduce his injuries but he has also been instructed to tone down his physical play to preserve his body.

#538 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

Kronwall was always kronwalling guys. He has put on some weight and strength since he first became a wing and that has helped reduce his injuries but he has also been instructed to tone down his physical play to preserve his body.

He still Kronwalls guys, but he doesn't get injured like he used to.  Didn't he have a bad leg injury at one point and he came back after it much bigger and stronger?  Pretty sure that was his last big injury if i'm not mistaken.  I just hope that they work with Hampus and have him take Kronwall's path, cause he's pretty sturdy these days.

#539 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

I want a school with a big Hampus. Maybe Carnegie Melen.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#540 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Also, wasn't Zetterberg incredibly smallish and skinny and overlooked? Obviously this Hampus kid is the new Zetterberg.

Don't Toews me, bro!