• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Canucks trade Schneider to Devils for 9th overall pick

Rate this topic

Wowsers. Van trades Cory Schneider to NJ for 9th overall pick.

Word is Canucks and Devils agreed to Schneider deal Saturday night

Gillis said he did not speak with Luongo before agreeing to Schneider trade.

I'm kinda stunned. I can't believe how Vancouver has handled their goaltender situation.

It's in the draft thread already. But yea, definitely crazy.

The draft and buyout thread is a good catch all, but this one was a shocker. I saw it but figured this was a big enough deal for it's own thread.

So who's the backup in Vancouver now?

Now the Canucks starting goaltender is one who's probably unhappy to be there and still has a history of meltdowns in key games.

Really isn't surprising when you look at every angle of it. It's not like they haven't tried to move Luongo, and it's not like Luongo is truly a bad goalie. But I really can't imagine what's going through Luongo's head right now, let alone how he'll respond. I think it'll go better than some think though, just given how it went this year. If things were really going to explode, I think it would've already happened. I think it'll be weird, but I think he'll come around by training camp. If he comes out and plays solid, people will forget these few years ever happened and he'll be fine.

At least until he implodes in another game 7...

But seriously, I think half the drama from the situation comes from having two #1s in the room like they had. We should know after the Hasek/Cujo situation how "fun" that can get, and we also know that sometimes your contract makes it next to impossible to trade you, and you might have to come back and be the number one guy again. But that's gone now for Luongo, and what happens next is up to him.

I'm no Luongo fan in general, never have been, but if he comes out and plays well next season for the Canucks and has a good Olympic run, he'll be fine. And again, as much as I'm not fan, I do think he's capable of playing his way out of this drama.

Classless not to discuss this with Luongo after stringing the guy along for over a year, signing Schneider, and making it a f'n circus for everyone on that team. It's hard to feel sorry for a Canuck but I do for Lou in this position. What a joke. I guess that's why I am a fan of the classiest team in hockey!

Guest Crymson

Whatever the case, Gillis got destroyed. He wanted to trade Luongo's bad contract and keep the obviously-superior Schneider, so he started by shopping Luongo around; this obviously alienated Luongo a bit, and made the latter start publicly hoping for a new start in another city for another team. He ended up asking far too much for Luongo; instead of lowering his price, he decided to trade Schneider instead. He got a good offer for Schneider from Edmonton, but ultimately decided instead to trade Schneider for a single draft pick, a price he could probably have extracted for Luongo. So now he's stuck with the inferior goaltender, who is also most likely a bit bitter at being kept after all.

This is a minor point, but he also didn't bother to tell Luongo before making the trade. As of 20 minutes ago, he still hadn't spoken with Luongo, and planned to do so later in the day.

This guy is on crack.

I was surprised that they didn't buy out Luongo. Now I'm stunned.

Is this possibly a sign that Marty is finally getting old?

Maybe they need someone who knows how to be a #1a/b.

Edited by 55fan

This is a minor point, but he also didn't bother to tell Luongo before making the trade. As of 20 minutes ago, he still hadn't spoken with Luongo, and planned to do so later in the day.

This guy is on crack.

Maybe, maybe not. He's still got a great goalie at a descent cap hit, albeit forever. And it was probably better to not consult with Luongo if you consider that he'd likely have a reaction that could be a deal-killer. Gillis has already had enough slip through his fingers, his best chance of getting a return for one of those goalies was moving Schneider, and the pickup isn't exactly terrible considering his back was pretty much up against the wall. Edmonton was offering more supposedly, but I'm sure he had his reasons for not moving him there.

All in all though, I think it will be easier to persuade Luongo to play along at this point than it would've been before the deal. And Gillis made the point that they don't often get the opportunity to draft that high. If he can get Luongo to play ball, and I think he will, this won't go down as such a bad end to the drama. It wasn't ideal, but the longer it goes on, the worse it gets for all parties involved in every way.

Guest Playmaker

It's been talked about all week, I'm not really sure why anyone is shocked. After the new CBA and the provisions with these long contracts, it made trading Luongo nearly impossible. His cap hit isn't all that horrible, he's still serviceable for another few years. I don't think he's as bad as he's been made out to be.

Gillis is an idiot. Schiender and Hodgson were two extremely important pieces. He traded his future second line center, and to ultimately replace him, they trade Scheinder for what could be a future second line center. He should of just stuck with Luongo the whole time.

They traded the 1a goalie to a team that already has one of the greatest goalies of all time, Schneider has to ride the pine for a year to watch Brodeur play out his final year and now the Nucks are stuck with a goalie who clearly doesnt have much interest in playing for them......nice move Gillis..this just reeks or terrible and it looks so good on them.

I just listened to an interview with Schneider (the one on NHL.com).

He really handled it well. He complimented Luongo and Brodour and said he loved being in Vancouver, and was looking forward to going back east and being closer to family.

He said all the right things, but the comment I found the most interesting was that this was the year that he didn't expect to be traded, having expected it in each of his previous years since Lu got there.

He has another year on his deal, but he's into his 40's.

and yet the Devils GM said Marty is still his #1

poor Schneider still can't get off the bench even after finally being dealt

of course with Marty being 41 now, Schneider ought to be able to push him for starts

Gillis got fleeced. If you're going to move Schneider, you should have gotten something more back, at least a roster player and a draft.

The whole league is laughing at Gillis and the Canucks.

Edited by RedWingsRox