20 replies to this topic

#1 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426712

Well, so much for us getting Bickell. Never really thought it would happen anyway. 4 mill a year def sounds about right.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#2 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

That's a lot of money for somebody that's never broken 40 points and probably never will.

#3 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:13 AM

A lot of people were surprised that they were clearing out Bolland and Frolik after saying they would have to blow up their secondary players again.  Looks like they probably identified Bickell as a priority to keep.  I agree that $4 mil/yr for such a limited track record is a bit high, but if David Clarkson gets $5 mil AAV from someone, Bickell was absolutely going to get $3.5 mil or better.

He was an undeniable force for them in the Playoffs, it just seemed like they could have done a little better going that long on term.

#4 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

A lot of people were surprised that they were clearing out Bolland and Frolik after saying they would have to blow up their secondary players again.  Looks like they probably identified Bickell as a priority to keep.  I agree that $4 mil/yr for such a limited track record is a bit high, but if David Clarkson gets $5 mil AAV from someone, Bickell was absolutely going to get $3.5 mil or better.

He was an undeniable force for them in the Playoffs, it just seemed like they could have done a little better going that long on term.

I'd rather have Clarkson at 4 mil per than Bickell at 4 mill per and if the option presents itself, I hope Holland is going to phone Lou about it :-)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#5 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hawks already deviating from their previous formula... now hopefully Bickell blows up to 300+ pounds like Buff.

#6 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

This is an overpayment... it feels like the "in good faith" contracts that holland can give out so that the player can reach and exceed their contract value. Except this one is just way crazier and I would be willing to bet a lot that it will never be reached... Lets just say this I'll take Franzen over Bickell at a 4m cap hit.

#7 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

He will get traded in a year or two...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#8 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

He will get traded in a year or two...

If he continues his scoring and top notch play, otherwise if he goes back to his previous baseline it would be a huge contract to take on, no team would want it
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#9 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'd rather have Clarkson at 4 mil per than Bickell at 4 mill per and if the option presents itself, I hope Holland is going to phone Lou about it :-)

Well, yeah, absolutely, but my point was that those were the top two gritty power forwards on the market, so one helps define the price of the other.  Clarkson is absolutely going to get more than Bickell.

#10 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

If he continues his scoring and top notch play, otherwise if he goes back to his previous baseline it would be a huge contract to take on, no team would want it

Just like was a case with Campbell, Ladd, Versteeg, Buff, Brouwer, Bolland...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#11 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Overpayment, considering he's never topped 40 points in his career. Had a great postseason, but this contract could come back to bite the 'Hawks in the ass.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#12 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

over payed, as per most free agents... good thing that cap went down, am i right?

#13 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Has there been a free agent signing in the past year that we havent said "Overpayment"? Maybe we, not only fans but Wings managment as well, need to get off our high horses about "overpaying" players. Prices go up, that's how the world works.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#14 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

That's a lot of money for somebody that's never broken 40 points and probably never will.

Would you rather have Bickell or Hudler during the playoffs?

Z, Dats, Helm are the only 3 Wings forwards I'd rather have.

#15 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

Would you rather have Bickell or Hudler during the playoffs?

Z, Dats, Helm are the only 3 Wings forwards I'd rather have.

I feel like Bickell is being over-valued because of one good playoff run.  If he keeps playing at this level, probably Bickell.  I don't believe that he'll play that well every year, although only time will tell.

Regardless, the Wings' lack of top 6 talent isn't a basis for arguing that players on other teams are being paid appropriately.

#16 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

Bickell is a good complimentary player, and he will go as far as his linemates take him. However, he isn't the type of player that can elevate his line. I think right now 4m/yr is a large overpayment, but it can look good if he gets time with Toews and/or Kane all season. 

#17 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

:clap:

#18 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

I feel like Bickell is being over-valued because of one good playoff run.  If he keeps playing at this level, probably Bickell.  I don't believe that he'll play that well every year, although only time will tell.

Regardless, the Wings' lack of top 6 talent isn't a basis for arguing that players on other teams are being paid appropriately.

I see your point. And its a good one.

#19 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Dustin Penner, Ryan Malone... Bickell.. Same s*** different smell.

#20 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

Didn't people on here think he was going to get 5-6 million or something? lol

Deal is good for the Hawks and Bickell.

Thank F we can put the "Let's sign Bickell" debate to bed.