• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vladdy16

Red Wings No Longer "Presented by Amway!"

Rate this topic

I think Howe would be the most likely choice due to him being an absolute legend AND a local guy. I don't think they would do Yzerman due to the awkwardness of him working for another team in the league and just don't think they would go the Lidstrom route for various reasons.

Gordie Howe Arena, love it... but too bad it doesn't roll off the tongue like Joe Loius since 'Gordie' has two syllables. I digress.

The Joe already rests on Yzerman Drive, so Stevie is out.

How about "Mr. Hockey Arena?"

The posts on this thread make me wonder about our education system. Cleary economics isn't being taught in school anymore. If the RW or any pro team doesn't have sponsorships, what happens? Ticket prices go up. Concession prices go up. Parking goes up. TV/cable prices go up. For the RW to spend 64.3 million on player salaries, they have to bring in twice that to cover all their expenses. GM's cost money, scouts cost money, the beer and hot dogs cost money, the JLA has utility bills to be paid. Plus all owners want to make a profit. or at worst, break even.

Now for those that dislike Amway, please get some idea of what you are talking about. You do realize that the De Vos family-co-founders of Amway own the Griffins right? The arena they pay in is owned by the Van Andel family, the other co-founders family. Not to mention the ties with the Whitecaps, the various lector hall/labs/residence halls on many of Michigan's college campuses. Plus the 5000 or so hourly workers at the Amway plant in Ada. The business model of Amway is no different than the franchise model of Little Caesars. Little Caesars doesn't make money off of selling pizzas. They make money off of selling the ingredients to the thousands of franchises around the world.

The posts on this thread make me wonder about our education system. Cleary economics isn't being taught in school anymore. If the RW or any pro team doesn't have sponsorships, what happens? Ticket prices go up. Concession prices go up. Parking goes up. TV/cable prices go up. For the RW to spend 64.3 million on player salaries, they have to bring in twice that to cover all their expenses. GM's cost money, scouts cost money, the beer and hot dogs cost money, the JLA has utility bills to be paid. Plus all owners want to make a profit. or at worst, break even.

Now for those that dislike Amway, please get some idea of what you are talking about. You do realize that the De Vos family-co-founders of Amway own the Griffins right? The arena they pay in is owned by the Van Andel family, the other co-founders family. Not to mention the ties with the Whitecaps, the various lector hall/labs/residence halls on many of Michigan's college campuses. Plus the 5000 or so hourly workers at the Amway plant in Ada. The business model of Amway is no different than the franchise model of Little Caesars. Little Caesars doesn't make money off of selling pizzas. They make money off of selling the ingredients to the thousands of franchises around the world.

Let me be the first to thank you for enlightening the rest of us who so obviously don't seem to measure up to your apparently lofty standards.

Most of the posts express regret at having to be sponsored is all; only one or two failed to see the need, but thanks so much for your eagerness to educate the unwashed masses.

And if you'd like to discuss the difference between how Amway makes their money and Little Caesar's does, by all means, PM me. I'd be happy to explain it to you.

Sometimes it is better, to know a little bit about the people posting stuff. I have intended and also studied economics and I know the view of some economists I just don't agree with them, because no matter how you slice it, there is always a bigger picture one.

Amway is a pyramid scheme, period. Schemes like that are built to create a huge income for the founders/co-founders and early starters by milking all the people who join later. There is a reason why such schemes are often targeted by laws.

Also there is difference between having a team presented by .... or just paying to show up on the bill boards, megatron or wherever.

Naming the new arena after some famous persons just would show the rest of the league, how to do things the right way.

Tell me you wouldn't love a name like "The Geordie Howe Palace", "The Yzerman Dome", Lidströms Plaza or the "Mike Illitch Arena" I really think Mike deserves to get his name on it he has done so much for this team and the city of Detroit.

Coming fresh out of high school I highly disagree with your comment. In my school it was mandatory to take business law, and I quite enjoy the class and learned a lot. A friend of mine and me got into a business selling through Amway and that was by far the biggest waste of money we ever did.

Good riddance.

But you know what needed to be stopped from day 1?!?!?!

"That goal brought to you by DTE Engery: where scoring means saving!!"

"(something) Light The Lamp Goal, scored by..."

:nono:

The Muskegon Fury had DTE as a sponsor for a few years and they weren't so "in your face" like the Amway garbage they tried to shove down everyone's gullet. I agree that a professional sports team shouldn't be represented by anyone other than the organization. However, I can see the money reasons behind it. Remember when it was just "Here are your DETROIT RED WINGS"?

Complain about people not being educated, spells "clearly" wrong.

The posts on this thread make me wonder about our education system. Cleary economics isn't being taught in school anymore.

Complain about people not being educated, spells "clearly" wrong.

No, no, no. He was referring to the 'Dan Cleary Economics' not being taught in school nowadays. It's the theory that some consumers like Ken Holland will scour the market for new and fresher products only to end up at the checkout stands with same ol' reliable off-brand that he's bought for years. It's good for the local economic cap but bad for the Unrestricted marketable products.

;)

Edited by FireCaptain