• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

He's Tim Thomas, he's good for the fare.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Tim Thomas sat out the final year of his contract to focus on “friends, family and faith”. Those things come before career, and I completely understand his decision.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 02 July 2013 - 09:59 AM.
To remove political discussion

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#23 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Tim Thomas sat out the final year of his contract to focus on “friends, family and faith”. Those things come before career, and I completely understand his decision.

So many times agreed, I love people how really know whats important in life. Sure, he has made a lot of cash already but focusing on friends, family and faith first at this point in his career is just an outstanding decision.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 02 July 2013 - 09:41 AM.
to remove political discussion

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

^This!

#25 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,873 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

He's Tim Thomas, he's good for the fare.

Send him to Chicago.  He and Kane can commute together.

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just a reminder to keep the discussion out of the political arena and about hockey.

#27 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

In terms of a team signing him, I'd be a little wary that he can return to form as a 39 year-old who hasn't played since april of 2012.  

Also from a purely business standpoint as an owner or GM I'd be a little wary of signing him based on how he handled his contract situation with Boston, whatever the reason.  

An older but extremely talented goalie, questionable teammate, and an unknown as to if he'd play out a new contract.  It's an interesting gamble but I'm sure some team will take it.  The potential upside is too big not to.

#28 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

In terms of a team signing him, I'd be a little wary that he can return to form as a 39 year-old who hasn't played since april of 2012.  

Also from a purely business standpoint as an owner or GM I'd be a little wary of signing him based on how he handled his contract situation with Boston, whatever the reason.  

An older but extremely talented goalie, questionable teammate, and an unknown as to if he'd play out a new contract.  It's an interesting gamble but I'm sure some team will take it.  The potential upside is too big not to.

Seems like the Wild, Pens, or Canadians might be interested... based on their circumstances. I know they recently re-upped Backstrom, but not sure the Wild wouldn't still take a chance with Thomas.

#29 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

Calling it, he'll go to Philly.

#30 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Seems like the Wild, Pens, or Canadians might be interested... based on their circumstances. I know they recently re-upped Backstrom, but not sure the Wild wouldn't still take a chance with Thomas.

All three of those teams have starting goal tenders that they are confident in.. I don't see Thomas wanting to go anywhere unless he's the for sure #1 man between the pipes.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#31 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

All three of those teams have starting goal tenders that they are confident in.. I don't see Thomas wanting to go anywhere unless he's the for sure #1 man between the pipes.

I was under the impression that Carey Price hasn't exactly inspired confidence of late and we all know about Fleurys troubles...

Edit: Philly would be an obvious choice that I missed... though I wonder at their chances of being a cup contender any time soon.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 02 July 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#32 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think the Canadiens do still trust Price, they don't even have a choice after that huge contract he signed last summer. Do you think Boston would sign him if they can't agree to terms with Rask?

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#33 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

I was under the impression that Carey Price hasn't exactly inspired confidence of late and we all know about Fleurys troubles...

Edit: Philly would be an obvious choice that I missed... though I wonder at their chances of being a cup contender any time soon.

http://www.capgeek.com/flyers/

take a glance at their D.

7 guys (including Pronger) with the lowest salary at $3.5mil (Grossman, the incredible pilon).  If only they had 4 more buyouts.  6 forwards R/UFA next offseason: Giroux, B.Schenn, Couturier, and Read are the notable names.

So the answer to that question, unless they dump Grossman and trade Coburn to the Oilers as previously planned, no, no they will not compete for the cup.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#34 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

yea fleury has troubles but they've already stated he would be their starting goalie next season. and the canadians pretty much have to have confidence in price for how much he's getting paid, i agree with that.

I could see the flyers. I'd like to see the oilers. but my guess is maybe florida or tampa if they can convince thomas they'll be competetors.

that would let markstrom or lindback learn under a great goalie too, a chance i'm sure they wouldn't want to pass up.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#35 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

He's looking towards Sochi 2014.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,170 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Pure speculation at this point, but with the recent buyout of DiPietro, Chuck Wang has instructed Garth Snow to lock Thomas up for 15 years and he doesn't care what the new CBA says.  Someone find a solid lead on this story.  I must sleep.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag