• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Report: Red Wings out on Lecavalier - signs with Philly 5@4.5 per

Rate this topic

Not allegedly, the Flyers are over the cap with the signing of Lecavailer.

with a backup goalie, and no other goalie, 7/9 defensemen being paid 3.5 mil/year or more (which is funny cause their defense sucks still) and no real offense either, their team is so far from being anything good it is ridiculous, but hey Vinny, glad you get that payday for another 5 years on top of your buyout, greedy f***

I'm glad Holland didn't sign him at these terms. 5 years for an already declining center ? After maybe two productive years we all would (rightfully so) blame Holland if he starts to fail the LGW expectations. See Franzen. In addition if we want to keep our young players after they made it to NHL-Level then we better stay away from this kind of contracts.

Well when the Flyers move Pronger to LTIR, they'll free up around $4mil in cap space taking into account how much over they are now. It's not a lot but they'll figure it out. They won't have any goaltending but then again they never have.

The problem for Holland is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall and Franzen are all in their 30's, all signed to long term contracts, and together will account for an estimated 40% or so of the current cap. Add another 5 million player for a long term contract and the result is that the team will have somewhere between 35% and 45% of their cap taken up by an aging roster, aging at the same time, and declining together with limited ability to sign rising stars.

Consequently, I don't think there is any way that Holland goes beyond more than three years for a player 32 years and older. And, the pickings are slim for younger UFAs, particularly at the position of need. I think that is why Weiss' name continues to come up frequently - price, age, and maybe term coming off an injury.

I think so of you folks are missing the point. I don't think the DOLLARS were the issue, it was the TERM.

It's a shame they couldn't have talked him into 2 or 3 years and then explain to him that the Wings have a history of allowing/encouraging 1 year re-ups after that.

The problem for Holland is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall and Franzen are all in their 30's, all signed to long term contracts, and together will account for an estimated 40% or so of the current cap. Add another 5 million player for a long term contract and the result is that the team will have somewhere between 35% and 45% of their cap taken up by an aging roster, aging at the same time, and declining together with limited ability to sign rising stars.

Consequently, I don't think there is any way that Holland goes beyond more than three years for a player 32 years and older. And, the pickings are slim for younger UFAs, particularly at the position of need. I think that is why Weiss' name continues to come up frequently - price, age, and maybe term coming off an injury.

THIS.

Well when the Flyers move Pronger to LTIR, they'll free up around $4mil in cap space taking into account how much over they are now. It's not a lot but they'll figure it out. They won't have any goaltending but then again they never have.

62.45 million cap is what they are at with pronger on ltir, bring up your ahl goalie and have him back up your backup goalie...

Flyers are playing with fire if the cap doesn't increase fast enough. They have Schenn Couts and Giroux all needing raises and they aren't paying top dollar for a proven goalie yet. They also don't have a legit number 1 dman.

the flyers problems are much deeper than you or I can even imagine

Also, while it could be open to debate as to whether Weiss is a significant upgrade over Fils, it cannot be debated that he would fit better.

There is a reason that Fils played mostly on the wing the past two years. Weiss would be a true center with decent faceoff skills and not afraid to shoot, the latter point likely accounting for the historical goal differential between the two. I have no idea if Holland signs Weiss, but I am certain that I will not be yelling "shoot", "shoot" as often when he has an opportunity to do so as I did with Fils. And, it would give Babcock more opportunities to use Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line again.

Better fit, and it is that poor fit that is likely leading to Fils not getting an offer that he wants.

Edited by whitey

Maybe - just maybe Holland sees Cleary as a positive influence in the dressing room - especially with the young guys coming up from GR?

Cleary was a 1st rounder with the Hawks - was then bounced around the league until his career was resurrected courtesy of Ken Holland...Maybe having Cleary around is more for a locker room presence than anything else?

give me 1/4 of his salary and I will stick around as a "locker room presence" too. Cleary needs to go