164 replies to this topic

#141 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

I honestly don't understand the fixation with Stephen Weiss, as the pundits are now saying he's the most likely to be signed by Holland at this point. Replacing one soft, small center in Filppula with another soft, small, center for almost the same price...not exactly a game changing move.

We don't exactly need a game changing move, and Holland has stated as much. We want to get incrementally better and we will do that through signing Weiss and through improvement in our rookies. Holland is thinking long term, LGW members are by and large thinking short term.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#142 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

We don't exactly need a game changing move, and Holland has stated as much. We want to get incrementally better and we will do that through signing Weiss and through improvement in our rookies. Holland is thinking long term, LGW members are by and large thinking short term.

Well if Holland is thinking long term, he better not give Cleary $3M for 3 years....as I stated in a different thread, he if gives Cleary $3M and Brunner $2.5M that only leaves $5.2M to sign Andersson, Nyquist and Smith leaving leftovers to sign Weiss.... Weiss won't be coming here for a 75% discount, so Holland best not retain Cleary or Sammy...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#143 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

This just proves with the shrunken cap, these guys aren't going to get what is being announced they are looking for...he went through 3 or 4 serious suitors before having to settle for a crapheap of a team and they are giving him less and he had to pry a NMC out of them.

These UFAs are going to have to seriously reduce their expectations or end up on s***ty teams... I fully support Holland only offering reasonable contracts to these guys (Clarkson, Horton, Ribiero, etc) and if they say no, they can enjoy losing for the next 5 years.

#144 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

The Olsen twins proved last year that players only want the payday....Wisneiwski the year before that...They are going to go where someone pays them the most money (or the longer term giving them more money) and could care less about Lord Stanley.  Which is what the league wanted, parity.  Vinny in Philly sells tickets...doesn't win it Stanley Cups...and that is all Bettman is worried about, revenue parity around the league.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#145 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,246 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

You have found your taker. Let's make $200 to the charity of the winner's choice, shall we?

I want in on this

I'll do it. $200 bucks for the charity of the others choosing. Philly will win a Cup before the Wings.

I really want in on this, if philly wins first you get $400 for your charity, if wings (not if but when) win first, your $200 goes to stillwater's charity 

I'm merely quoting these for your future reference.  

This should be interesting.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#146 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

Well if Holland is thinking long term, he better not give Cleary $3M for 3 years....as I stated in a different thread, he if gives Cleary $3M and Brunner $2.5M that only leaves $5.2M to sign Andersson, Nyquist and Smith leaving leftovers to sign Weiss.... Weiss won't be coming here for a 75% discount, so Holland best not retain Cleary or Sammy...

I agree giving Cleary 3 yrs @ 3 per would be a boneheaded move.... hoping that is not actually going to happen.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#147 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

True. But Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be 35 and 33, respectively, this season. They're still by far our best players. So our window's closing--we need to make a run soon.

#148 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

This news pisses me off. He goes to a team right up against the cap, allegedly, and we have money to spend and need a second line center. And now there is talk of RE-SIGNING CLEARY? FOR 3 MIL A YEAR? FOR THREE YEARS? It feels like April Fools Day, I swear.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#149 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

This news pisses me off. He goes to a team right up against the cap, allegedly, and we have money to spend and need a second line center. And now there is talk of RE-SIGNING CLEARY? FOR 3 MIL A YEAR? FOR THREE YEARS? It feels like April Fools Day, I swear.

Not allegedly, the Flyers are over the cap with the signing of Lecavailer.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#150 Kronstantinov

Kronstantinov

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

They will have to make some moves to make room for him. They still need a goalie. 

#151 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I think so of you folks are missing the point. I don't think the DOLLARS were the issue, it was the TERM. 

It's a shame they couldn't have talked him into 2 or 3 years and then explain to him that the Wings have a history of allowing/encouraging 1 year re-ups after that. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#152 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

with a backup goalie, and no other goalie, 7/9 defensemen being paid 3.5 mil/year or more (which is funny cause their defense sucks still) and no real offense either, their team is so far from being anything good it is ridiculous, but hey Vinny, glad you get that payday for another 5 years on top of your buyout, greedy f***

#153 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm glad Holland didn't sign him at these terms. 5 years for an already declining center ? After maybe two productive years we all  would (rightfully so) blame Holland if he starts to fail the LGW expectations. See Franzen. In addition if we want to keep our young players after they made it to NHL-Level then we better stay away from this kind of contracts.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#154 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

Well when the Flyers move Pronger to LTIR, they'll free up around $4mil in cap space taking into account how much over they are now. It's not a lot but they'll figure it out. They won't have any goaltending but then again they never have.

Posted Image

#155 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

The problem for Holland is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall and Franzen are all in their 30's, all signed to long term contracts, and together will account for an estimated 40% or so of the current cap.  Add another 5 million player for a long term contract and the result is that the team will have somewhere between 35% and 45% of their cap taken up by an aging roster, aging at the same time, and declining together with limited ability to sign rising stars.  

Consequently, I don't think there is any way that Holland goes beyond more than three years for a player 32 years and older.  And, the pickings are slim for younger UFAs, particularly at the position of need.  I think that is why Weiss' name continues to come up frequently - price, age, and maybe term coming off an injury.

#156 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

I think so of you folks are missing the point. I don't think the DOLLARS were the issue, it was the TERM. 

It's a shame they couldn't have talked him into 2 or 3 years and then explain to him that the Wings have a history of allowing/encouraging 1 year re-ups after that. 

The problem for Holland is that Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Howard, Kronwall and Franzen are all in their 30's, all signed to long term contracts, and together will account for an estimated 40% or so of the current cap.  Add another 5 million player for a long term contract and the result is that the team will have somewhere between 35% and 45% of their cap taken up by an aging roster, aging at the same time, and declining together with limited ability to sign rising stars.  

Consequently, I don't think there is any way that Holland goes beyond more than three years for a player 32 years and older.  And, the pickings are slim for younger UFAs, particularly at the position of need.  I think that is why Weiss' name continues to come up frequently - price, age, and maybe term coming off an injury.

THIS.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#157 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well when the Flyers move Pronger to LTIR, they'll free up around $4mil in cap space taking into account how much over they are now. It's not a lot but they'll figure it out. They won't have any goaltending but then again they never have.

62.45 million cap is what they are at with pronger on ltir, bring up your ahl goalie and have him back up your backup goalie...

#158 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Flyers are playing with fire if the cap doesn't increase fast enough. They have Schenn Couts and Giroux all needing raises and they aren't paying top dollar for a proven goalie yet. They also don't have a legit number 1 dman. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#159 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Flyers are playing with fire if the cap doesn't increase fast enough. They have Schenn Couts and Giroux all needing raises and they aren't paying top dollar for a proven goalie yet. They also don't have a legit number 1 dman. 

the flyers problems are much deeper than you or I can even imagine

#160 whitey

whitey

Jr. Prospect

• 29 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Also, while it could be open to debate as to whether Weiss is a significant upgrade over Fils, it cannot be debated that he would fit better.

There is a reason that Fils played mostly on the wing the past two years.  Weiss would be a true center with decent faceoff skills and not afraid to shoot, the latter point likely accounting for the historical goal differential between the two.  I have no idea if Holland signs Weiss, but I am certain that I will not be yelling "shoot", "shoot" as often when he has an opportunity to do so as I did with Fils.  And, it would give Babcock more opportunities to use Zetterberg and Datsyuk on the same line again.

Better fit, and it is that poor fit that is likely leading to Fils not getting an offer that he wants.

Edited by whitey, 03 July 2013 - 12:51 PM.