• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

P. Marlowe

Red Wings cut ties with Tom McCollum

Rate this topic

The Detroit Red Wings had high hopes for big goaltender Tom McCollum when they drafted him in the first round, with the 30th overall pick, in 2008.

McCollum didn't pan out, however, and now he will be moving on. The Red Wings will not tender the restricted free agent a qualifying offer, relinquishing his rights.

MLive

No surprise here. Pity it didn't work.

He ripened and ripened, but just couldnt over ripen.

never know. at some point (around 2008 AFAIR) it all looked like Howard was a bust and was given too much time in minors

to eventually not reach the NHL quality. and fans lost their patience.

then he came in and... you know the rest.

McCollum might yet make it, you never know.

Shoulda traded that pick. Like I always say, I will trade picks for proven NHL talent every day. If 1 or 2 out of 10 picks make it to the NHL, it's a good draft.

He ripened and ripened, but just couldnt over ripen.

I must have missed when he ripened.

IMO He arrived rotten. When you're average to below average in the ECHL your hopes of becoming an NHL goalie are pretty slim.

I must have missed when he ripened.

IMO He arrived rotten. When you're average to below average in the ECHL your hopes of becoming an NHL goalie are pretty slim.

I can't say Toledo has had a good team to play in front of him during any of his time down here. I'm not saying he could be good, but I think his numbers would be improved had we iced a decent team, for obvious reasons.

Just to add to what Richdg said, per Twitter:

"The #RedWings have released GK Jordan Pearce, and made a qualifying offer on Tuesday to GK Tom McCollum, the team's 2008 first-round pick."

Head scratcher with Mrazek, Paterson and Coreau in the pipeline.

Yeah, George Malik had a write-up about this, really bizarre. He hinted at some type of internal shake-up as to how this information could have come from the organization. Maybe now that his hockey career officially "died" on Twitter, he'll be free to perform without pressure! Or not.