• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheDetroitRedWings

Red Wings won't pursue David Clarkson

Rate this topic

We really dodged a bullet there. Imagine spending 5+ mil on an enforcer! No thanks

All we need is weise or ribiero or someone like that who can fill the gap for a couple years until our prospects are ready to crack the top 6

Come on, I know Red Wings fans are smarter than this. Yeah, he's just an enforcer ... who happens to score 25-30 goals. That's more than McCarty ever scored. Probert scored 29 once, but that was a different NHL.

I'm not saying Clarkson is worth his asking price, but to imply that he's nothing more than an enforcer is a bit ridiculous, don't you think.

Come on, I know Red Wings fans are smarter than this. Yeah, he's just an enforcer ... who happens to score 25-30 goals. .

Yeah, he did that once. It's not like he's a consistent 25-30 goal scorer ... right?

This is good news - and I think we all knew this would be the case. Holland tries to avoid getting caught up in overpaying UFAs. Clarkson is looking for a huge pay day from a team willing to take a gamble. I can't believe he wants 6 million. I know he has had two pretty good seasons, but his offensive totals are no better than Franzen's, and IMO he is less proven. I still think Ryder is the better choice - he'll be cheaper and I bet you he scores just as many goals.

Come on, I know Red Wings fans are smarter than this. Yeah, he's just an enforcer ... who happens to score 25-30 goals. That's more than McCarty ever scored. Probert scored 29 once, but that was a different NHL.

I'm not saying Clarkson is worth his asking price, but to imply that he's nothing more than an enforcer is a bit ridiculous, don't you think.

But hey.....watch this!

I don't know how to embed youtube videos on here, so if someone can help me out, we can all enjoy one of the best grinder goals EVER!

Nevermind...it embeds itself. Enjoy!

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

Yeah, he did that once. It's not like he's a consistent 25-30 goal scorer ... right?

Well, he was on pace to put up similar numbers this last season, so that is some kind of consistency ... right?

But hey.....watch this!

I don't know how to embed youtube videos on here, so if someone can help me out, we can all enjoy one of the best grinder goals EVER!

Nevermind...it embeds itself. Enjoy!

The glory days. Come back, Scotty!!!

This is good news - and I think we all knew this would be the case. Holland tries to avoid getting caught up in overpaying UFAs. Clarkson is looking for a huge pay day from a team willing to take a gamble. I can't believe he wants 6 million. I know he has had two pretty good seasons, but his offensive totals are no better than Franzen's, and IMO he is less proven. I still think Ryder is the better choice - he'll be cheaper and I bet you he scores just as many goals.

And he has a better one-timer and quicker release. I'd take that playing with Dats/Z/Goose any day cause we need more guys like that. He's on my short list for sure. If we got Brunner and Ryder signed, there's 2 snipers to play with our pile of playmakers. I'm still figuring out what Franzen is. He's undecided as to his play style thus far, but regardless, having 2 RH snipers is a good thing.

I'd sell my dad to get McGrattan.

BBTBB: Dad, I sold you so the Wings could get McGrattan. I like fighting.

Dad: I understand son....I understand.

No problem losing out on. Vinny but David just hurts, he would have filled a ton needs.

I am not impatient but this isn't what Wings fans are used to. Instead of just being in the mix DRW should be the frontrunners.

Weiss, Ribiero and Ryder? That would be a very disappointing offseason given that guys with size are available.

Sent from my BlackBerry

I just think the odds of him making a list like this are far too high for Kenny to throw 6 mil at him.

If he continues this pace, then you'll be right and ill be wrong, but I firmly believe Kenny is doing the right thing by staying far away from this guy

They aren't he will get it from someone, sadly once again it will be from the DRW

They'll get it, but it's a crazy salary demand for a guy with a couple of good years under his belt. Sure, he could be a late-blooming star in the making, but he could also be a product of his system. I don't want Kenny to spend $42 million against the cap to find out.

The Flyers' successes in swinging for the fences should be an indication of how well these large and unstable contracts work.

I'm glad a couple people agree with me. One 30 goal season doesn't make him a superstar

Same with Parise...he had one season of over 40 goals and look at the deal he got...he barely sniffed 100 points once. I am far from a fan of Sidney's, but he only makes $1.2M more than Parise....look at his totals...he at least earns his paycheck.

Clarkson has 170 points in 426 games and a career -32...he wants how much?

Wasn't the goal this offseason to get bigger though? And how will we achieve that besides drafting guys that are 4 years away?

Every off season Holland says he wants to get bigger and he will address it on UFA day...then he says he will address it at the trade deadline...then he says he will address it at the draft...

well, at least he is addressing it at the draft. He will never attract the players if he doesn't want to pay market value or term. I am not faulting him for not trying or what he offers people and trying to save a buck or year, but when 10 teams out there are offering twice as much term (ie Lecavalier's contract) you have to take the risk if you want the player. Losing Suter didn't really hurt us, and I don't think losing out on Vinny will either, but if Holland wants to make this team better, he is going to have to pay up sooner than later...the same team minus Val and Cola isn't going to get it done...

Every off season Holland says he wants to get bigger and he will address it on UFA day...then he says he will address it at the trade deadline...then he says he will address it at the draft...

well, at least he is addressing it at the draft. He will never attract the players if he doesn't want to pay market value or term. I am not faulting him for not trying or what he offers people and trying to save a buck or year, but when 10 teams out there are offering twice as much term (ie Lecavalier's contract) you have to take the risk if you want the player. Losing Suter didn't really hurt us, and I don't think losing out on Vinny will either, but if Holland wants to make this team better, he is going to have to pay up sooner than later...the same team minus Val and Cola isn't going to get it done...

Yea but not every year are we moving to tougher Eastern Conference. It's imperative this year to do so more than ever.

Yea but not every year are we moving to tougher Eastern Conference. It's imperative this year to do so more than ever.

This team as it stands right now would get eaten alive in the eastern conference and part of a GMs job is to take some risks. Is there a guarantee that Clarkson won't be worth his contract? No he good be a late coming superstar and then the contract would be a bargain sure he could decrease also but at some point risks need to be taken.

I really think this season has blindsided Holland thinking this team is close, they aren't and if the only aquisitions are Ryder and Weiss then I don't see them making the playoffs.

Ok, a writer writes a story saying we will not go after........ pick a name. There are no quotes from anyone in the RW's management. She ass-u-mes that because of a stated price or a stated destination that we are automaticly out. Didn't Vinny say he wanted 5 million? And that he wanted to go to a city that is not a hockey hot bed? yet he signs with Philly for 4.5 million. lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I have no idea how things will work, but public wants and actual contracts are very different things. Every agent for every UFA is going to try to drive up the price-that is his/her job. Every GM is going to be coy and try to drive down the prices-that is his job.

Point is-relax and enjoy the ride. UFA is always a gamble. Sometimes you win sometimes you crap out.

I'm glad a couple people agree with me. One 30 goal season doesn't make him a superstar

Same number of 30 goal seasons as franzen, in half the time. if you don't look at a players total career you can be mislead. For his first couple of seasons, Clarkson was on checking lines. 2 years ago he moved up to the top line and scores 30. This year he had 15-which would have been tied with datsyuk for our team lead. He is also a league hit leader and will protect his team mates.