• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

No problem losing out on. Vinny but David just hurts, he would have filled a ton needs.

I am not impatient but this isn't what Wings fans are used to. Instead of just being in the mix DRW should be the frontrunners.

Weiss, Ribiero and Ryder? That would be a very disappointing offseason given that guys with size are available.

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#62 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Come on, I know Red Wings fans are smarter than this. Yeah, he's just an enforcer ... who happens to score 25-30 goals. That's more than McCarty ever scored. Probert scored 29 once, but that was a different NHL. 

I'm not saying Clarkson is worth his asking price, but to imply that he's nothing more than an enforcer is a bit ridiculous, don't you think. 

I just think the odds of him making a list like this are far too high for Kenny to throw 6 mil at him.
If he continues this pace, then you'll be right and ill be wrong, but I firmly believe Kenny is doing the right thing by staying far away from this guy

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#63 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

7 years, $42M for a 29 year old with ONE half-decent season.  I don't care if he fights like Mike Tyson, thats a ridiculous amount of money.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#64 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

of course Kenny will not pursue him, he won't accept 75% below market value.... not that what he will eventually sign for will be worth it, but Kenny is known for offering way less than other teams...and then overpaying his own garbage.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#65 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Okay.

THIS.   Clarkson AND his agent are f*cking nuts

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#66 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

a lot of people are seriously over rating Clarkson. 

#67 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Okay.

THIS.   Clarkson AND his agent are f*cking nuts

They aren't he will get it from someone, sadly once again it will be from the DRW

kftx.jpg

#68 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

They aren't he will get it from someone, sadly once again it will be from the DRW

They'll get it, but it's a crazy salary demand for a guy with a couple of good years under his belt. Sure, he could be a late-blooming star in the making, but he could also be a product of his system. I don't want Kenny to spend $42 million against the cap to find out.

The Flyers' successes in swinging for the fences should be an indication of how well these large and unstable contracts work.

• Nev likes this

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#69 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

a lot of people are seriously over rating Clarkson. 

I'm glad a couple people agree with me. One 30 goal season doesn't make him a superstar

#70 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Wasn't the goal this offseason to get bigger though? And how will we achieve that besides drafting guys that are 4 years away?

#71 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'm glad a couple people agree with me. One 30 goal season doesn't make him a superstar

Same with Parise...he had one season of over 40 goals and look at the deal he got...he barely sniffed 100 points once.  I am far from a fan of Sidney's, but he only makes $1.2M more than Parise....look at his totals...he at least earns his paycheck.

Clarkson has 170 points in 426 games and a career -32...he wants how much?

www.thinkdunes.com

#72 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

Wasn't the goal this offseason to get bigger though? And how will we achieve that besides drafting guys that are 4 years away?

Every off season Holland says he wants to get bigger and he will address it on UFA day...then he says he will address it at the trade deadline...then he says he will address it at the draft...

well, at least he is addressing it at the draft.  He will never attract the players if he doesn't want to pay market value or term.  I am not faulting him for not trying or what he offers people and trying to save a buck or year, but when 10 teams out there are offering twice as much term (ie Lecavalier's contract) you have to take the risk if you want the player.  Losing Suter didn't really hurt us, and I don't think losing out on Vinny will either, but if Holland wants to make this team better, he is going to have to pay up sooner than later...the same team minus Val and Cola isn't going to get it done...

www.thinkdunes.com

#73 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

Every off season Holland says he wants to get bigger and he will address it on UFA day...then he says he will address it at the trade deadline...then he says he will address it at the draft...

well, at least he is addressing it at the draft.  He will never attract the players if he doesn't want to pay market value or term.  I am not faulting him for not trying or what he offers people and trying to save a buck or year, but when 10 teams out there are offering twice as much term (ie Lecavalier's contract) you have to take the risk if you want the player.  Losing Suter didn't really hurt us, and I don't think losing out on Vinny will either, but if Holland wants to make this team better, he is going to have to pay up sooner than later...the same team minus Val and Cola isn't going to get it done...

Yea but not every year are we moving to tougher Eastern Conference. It's imperative this year to do so more than ever.

#74 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yea but not every year are we moving to tougher Eastern Conference. It's imperative this year to do so more than ever.

This team as it stands right now would get eaten alive in the eastern conference and part of a GMs job is to take some risks. Is there a guarantee that Clarkson won't be worth his contract? No he good be a late coming superstar and then the contract would be a bargain sure he could decrease also but at some point risks need to be taken.

I really think this season has blindsided Holland thinking this team is close, they aren't and if the only aquisitions are Ryder and Weiss then I don't see them making the playoffs.

kftx.jpg

#75 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ok, a writer writes a story saying we will not go after........ pick a name. There are no quotes from anyone in the RW's management. She ass-u-mes that because of a stated price or a stated destination that we are automaticly out. Didn't Vinny say he wanted 5 million? And that he wanted to go to a city that is not a hockey hot bed? yet he signs with Philly for 4.5 million. lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I have no idea how things will work, but public wants and actual contracts are very different things. Every agent for every UFA is going to try to drive up the price-that is his/her job. Every GM is going to be coy and try to drive down the prices-that is his job.

Point is-relax and enjoy the ride. UFA is always a gamble. Sometimes you win sometimes you crap out.

Same number of 30 goal seasons as franzen, in half the time. if you don't look at a players total career you can be mislead. For his first couple of seasons, Clarkson was on checking lines. 2 years ago he moved up to the top line and scores 30. This year he had 15-which would have been tied with datsyuk for our team lead. He is also a league hit leader and will protect his team mates.

#76 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Say what u will about Clarkson but if holland spends 3 million to keep Cleary and not go after a guy like Clarkson this site is going to go into full melt down mode.

#77 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

I do agree, but Clarkson brings an element we haven't really had in awhile. A tough guy that can score. Definitely not heartbroken but disappointed that he's asking for so much

Clarkson will get his payday - that is certain...

Will he continue to put up points in each, and every season with his new contract?....That to me is uncertain...

Say what u will about Clarkson but if holland spends 3 million to keep Cleary and not go after a guy like Clarkson this site is going to go into full melt down mode.

I can understand why Holland doesn't get involved in the Vinny & Clarkson sweepstakes, but he then keeps Bert/Sammy, and will most likely re-sign Cleary...That I haven't a clue as to what he's up to.

7 years, $42M for a 29 year old with ONE half-decent season.  I don't care if he fights like Mike Tyson, thats a ridiculous amount of money.

Just think of the discussions around the water cooler the day after Clarkson bites Crosby's ear off.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#78 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

No problem losing out on. Vinny but David just hurts, he would have filled a ton needs.

I am not impatient but this isn't what Wings fans are used to. Instead of just being in the mix DRW should be the frontrunners.

Weiss, Ribiero and Ryder? That would be a very disappointing offseason given that guys with size are available.

Sent from my BlackBerry

Horton is still available - however he too isn't worth what he wants.

IMHO - guys like Weiss/Ryder might be the "best bang for the buck".

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#79 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

I think we all can agree that Clarkson is not worth 42 mil over 7 years but that is going to be his pricetag and the guy will get it from some team and I don't blame him one bit for that, it is his payday probably the last one in his career so he does need to cash in. The Wings fanbase has always talked about how cool it would be to get a Lucic type of player, well here we have one and most people are moaning over having to overpay in order to get him, the so called best GM in hockey is - once again - lowballing him... why is it so hard for some to understand where the frustration is coming from? Don't want to sign Clarkson or Horton fine than find another way to really improve this team (meh players aren't improvement they are replacements at best). Waiting for next years ufa class year after year, is like not buying or upgrading a PC because in 1 year there will be better hardware...it just doesn't work t hat way. So let us assume the Wings don't get Clarkson or Horton which of the remaining UFAs is going to help this team? Jagr, Iginala - nope 0 goals in the playoffs. Ryder, Ribiero (a guy with a very questionable attitude?) stay away please. Overpaying for Yandle? yeah great giving up assets is way better than overpaying with $ for some highly thought after UFAs. Comparing the new UFA prices to the ones before the lockout doesn't work also, with Getzlaf and Perry getting their new paydays as stars players a tier below them are going to command a bit less but not a lot...this is just the reality nowadays.

Edited by frankgrimes, 03 July 2013 - 12:21 PM.

kftx.jpg

#80 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I think we all can agree that Clarkson is not worth 42 mil over 7 years but that is going to be his pricetag and the guy will get it from some team and I don't blame him one bit for that, it is his payday probably the last one in his career so he does need to cash in.The Wings fanbase has always talked about how cool it would be to get a Lucic type of player, well here we have one and most people are moaning over having to overpay in order to get him, the so called best GM in hockey is - once again - lowballing him...why is it so hard for some to understand where the frustration is coming from? Don't want to sign Clarkson or Horton fine than find another way to really improve this team (meh players aren't improvement they are replacements at best).Waiting for next years ufa class year after year, is like not buying or upgrading a PC because in 1 year there will be better hardware...it just doesn't work t hat way.So let us assume the Wings don't get Clarkson or Horton which of the remaining UFAs is going to help this team? Jagr, Iginala - nope 0 goals in the playoffs. Ryder, Ribiero (a guy with a very questionable attitude?) stay away please.Overpaying for Yandle? yeah great giving up assets is way better than overpaying with $ for some highly thought after UFAs.Comparing the new UFA prices to the ones before the lockout doesn't work also, with Getzlaf and Perry getting their new paydays as stars players a tier below them are going to command a bit less but not a lot...this is just the reality nowadays.

Horton comes with a slew of injury concerns from his history of concussions to this shoulder issue that some are worried will be repeat - as well as a desire to play in a warm weather, non-traditional, hockey market.

edit: I don't know why I read this as being a Horton-focused post. My bad. I've already thrown my two cents in when it comes to Clarkson, so I won't bother making anyone read that again.

Edited by Travis, 03 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png