• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

evilzyme

Wings buy out Colaiacovo, will keep Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Lets Go Wings circa 2012:

1) i dont mind Sammy at 3 mil. Good signing.

2) i dont mind Tootoo at 2 mil. Good signing.

3) i dont mind Gustavsson at 2 mil. Good signing.

4) i dont mind Colo at 2.5 mil. Good signing.

5) Bertuzzi's a beast. At 2 mil, he's a steal.

6) White isn't bad. At 2 mil, he's a steal.

7) Quincey stinks. Why 3.75 mil, Kenny?

The Axe circa 2012:

1) We'd be better off spending 18 mil per on Suter and Parise.

Now listen to me on 2013:

1) Buy out Sammy (compliance)

2) Buy out Bert (non-compliance)

3) Buy out Colo (compliance)

4) Let Flip walk

5) Let Cleary walk

6) Resign Brunner 5 years/12.5 million.

7) Trade Almqvist and Frk to Buffalo at the deadline for Vanek.

8) Win the cup.

The Axe circa 2012:

4) Let Flip walk

5) Let Cleary walk

8) Win the cup.

LGW has never had a single opinion about anything. It's revisionist history for the purposes of you saying "I told you so."

Guest The Axe

LGW has never had a single opinion about anything. It's revisionist history for the purposes of you saying "I told you so."

I WAS right though, huh?!

...at the time, Sammy was an upgrade defensively to Hudler

...at the time Tootoo brought the type of game we were missing since Downey, McCarty were here. Not out fault Babs doesn't like him

...he was better than both McCollum AND MacDonald, so this was an upgrade.

...I don't recall many people liking this signing,

...Bert can be a beast, $2M isn't too much to waste. It turned out paying someone to be injured all year was a waste, but we paid Helm all year too...

...again, at the time White was coming off a solid year. He was well worth it.

...no arguments here!

The Axe circa 2012:

...Parise was either staying in NJ or going to Minny...Detroit was never an option. Suter agreed to come to Detroit, but it got nixed by his wife and family ties. He will regret his deceision.

4) Let Flip walk

5) Let Cleary walk

8) Win the cup.

Agree for the most part, I would keep Bert, he may end up LTIR anyhow, so no cap hit. Also, I would keep Frk, plenty of others you could put in there to get Vanek.

Edited by LeftWinger

The Axe circa 2012:

4) Let Flip walk

5) Let Cleary walk

8) Win the cup.

I don't think there has every been a 100% consensus on LGW. All the contracts signed last offseason were scrutinized plenty - some people were okay with them.

Guest The Axe

...at the time, Sammy was an upgrade defensively to Hudler

...at the time Tootoo brought the type of game we were missing since Downey, McCarty were here. Not out fault Babs doesn't like him

...he was better than both McCollum AND MacDonald, so this was an upgrade.

...I don't recall many people liking this signing,

...Bert can be a beast, $2M isn't too much to waste. It turned out paying someone to be injured all year was a waste, but we paid Helm all year too...

...again, at the time White was coming off a solid year. He was well worth it.

...no arguments here!

...Parise was either staying in NJ or going to Minny...Detroit was never an option. Suter agreed to come to Detroit, but it got nixed by his wife and family ties. He will regret his deceision.

Agree for the most part, I would keep Bert, he may end up LTIR anyhow, so no cap hit. Also, I would keep Frk, plenty of others you could put in there to get Vanek.

Youre right. Hindsight is 20/20. But Kenny is supposed to have FOREsight. That's the most crucial part of a GM. He's lucky that all his bums got hurt last year and the kids came through. We would all be unanimous in our dislike of him had we missed the playoffs going at it with Bert, Sammy, and White.

I WAS right though, huh?!

That the money would've been better spent on Suter and Parise?

Not really. It's been one lockout shortened season into their 13 year contracts. It's a little early to know how they'll affect the Wild. But for their $13 million last season they almost fell out of a playoff spot and won one postseason game.

I didn't like a lot of Holland's signings (Sammy, Tootoo, to a lesser extent Q) but ultimately I think the Parise/Suter contracts would've handcuffed the team for too long.

That the money would've been better spent on Suter and Parise?

Not really. It's been one lockout shortened season into their 13 year contracts. It's a little early to know how they'll affect the Wild. But for their $13 million last season they almost fell out of a playoff spot and won one postseason game.

I didn't like a lot of Holland's signings (Sammy, Tootoo, to a lesser extent Q) but ultimately I think the Parise/Suter contracts would've handcuffed the team for too long.

People seem to forget, too, that we already have our long-term contracts. In this age of the NHL a team can only realistically afford 1-2. Suter and Parise would have been nice additions, but as you and countless others have stated - that term is ridiculous. This isn't the NBA and teams can't afford to ice a handful of superstars, we're just spoiled because we've had ours for so long.

I have not said this while others were freaking out I tried keeping cool. But to even resign Cleary, Holland should be fired.

I know I'll probably get flack for this but I'm okay with him re-signing Cleary if it's for a decent price. The guys a warrior and in spite of how people discount all his points, he was second only to Z in playoff scoring.

It just needs to be at good value, short term, and he should play fewer minutes.

re-signing Sammy on the other hand, I'm still ticked about. And now even if Holland wants to he may not be able to buy Sammy out because he's "injured."

People seem to forget, too, that we already have our long-term contracts. In this age of the NHL a team can only realistically afford 1-2. Suter and Parise would have been nice additions, but as you and countless others have stated - that term is ridiculous. This isn't the NBA and teams can't afford to ice a handful of superstars, we're just spoiled because we've had ours for so long.

True. It would've been what, something like $23 million tied up through 2021 AND having to re-sign Datsyuk?

It's a decent value for those guys now but the team loses so much flexibility for future moves.

I think the only bad cap numbers on our team belong to Samuelsson and Quincey. And they've each got just one year left.

So there's a credit to Holland being conservative. But like I said in another thread, we can't waste Z and Pavel's remaining good years. We NEED to make some competitive moves.

Edited by Nevermind

The Axe circa 2012:

4) Let Flip walk

5) Let Cleary walk

8) Win the cup.

So much wrong with this post. You want to say "I told you so", but in order to say it you first change history to make it sound like Holland didn't go after Suter/Parise and that the LGW boards liked the Sammy/White/Cola signings, and STILL the "I told you so" is purely hypotethical and impossible to prove, and ignores the fact that the Wings did better without Suter/Parise than Minnesota did with them.

As for your 7-step plan to win the cup:

1 - could happen, either way I don't see Sammy playing much unless he stays healthy and finds a way to be effective, in which case what's the problem? He'll be gone one way or another, or be a healthy scratch a lot.

2 - Not gonna happen and it shouldn't, Bert's been good for us. If he can't play anymore we can just LTIR him, right?

3 - Happening

4 - Probably happening

5 - Hopefully happening

6 - Hopefully happening

7 - A trade that actually gets the response "LOL" when attempted in EA Sports NHL 13.

Guest The Axe

I know I'll probably get flack for this but I'm okay with him re-signing Cleary if it's for a decent price. The guys a warrior and in spite of how people discount all his points, he was second only to Z in playoff scoring.

It just needs to be at good value, short term, and he should play fewer minutes.

re-signing Sammy on the other hand, I'm still ticked about. And now even if Holland wants to he may not be able to buy Sammy out because he's "injured."

True. It would've been what, something like $23 million tied up through 2021 AND having to re-sign Datsyuk?

It's a decent value for those guys now but the team loses so much flexibility for future moves.

I agree with you on Cleary if we didnt have a logjam of forwards. For me, he's only expendable right now because we need to get minutes/games to other players so they can grow. I like guys like Cleary and Bertuzzi. I just dont like them playing in front of guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Emdog, etc. The youth movement is where it's at.

So much wrong with this post. You want to say "I told you so", but in order to say it you first change history to make it sound like Holland didn't go after Suter/Parise and that the LGW boards liked the Sammy/White/Cola signings, and STILL the "I told you so" is purely hypotethical and impossible to prove, and ignores the fact that the Wings did better without Suter/Parise than Minnesota did with them.

As for your 7-step plan to win the cup:

1 - could happen, either way I don't see Sammy playing much unless he stays healthy and finds a way to be effective, in which case what's the problem? He'll be gone one way or another, or be a healthy scratch a lot.

2 - Not gonna happen and it shouldn't, Bert's been good for us. If he can't play anymore we can just LTIR him, right?

3 - Happening

4 - Probably happening

5 - Hopefully happening

6 - Hopefully happening

7 - A trade that actually gets the response "LOL" when attempted in EA Sports NHL 13.

That Vanek trade WILL happen. Maybe not for the Wings, but Buffalo will firesale him at the deadline. He will have a great year and command 7-7.5 mil next season. Buffalo is going to ship him out for young prospects and picks.

I agree with you on Cleary if we didnt have a logjam of forwards. For me, he's only expendable right now because we need to get minutes/games to other players so they can grow. I like guys like Cleary and Bertuzzi. I just dont like them playing in front of guys like Nyquist, Tatar, Andersson, Emdog, etc. The youth movement is where it's at.

That Vanek trade WILL happen. Maybe not for the Wings, but Buffalo will firesale him at the deadline. He will have a great year and command 7-7.5 mil next season. Buffalo is going to ship him out for young prospects and picks.

I can see Vanek moving. But not for that package.

I still think Holland may go for someone like Penner as the size he is looking for...I could be wrong, but recently Holland is more known for the not so blockbuster UFA signing...

I think if Holland bought out Sammy, said goodbye to Flip and Cleary, then inked Brunner, Weiss and Penner (along with our RFA's) that this team would compete very well in the East. It is all about the cash now though. I am not sure they could ink Weiss and Penner AND our RFA's PLUS Brunner...not without trading a couple of forwards for a pick. I suppose he could ink them all and see who is going to start the season on IR, then as folks get healthy make a small deal...with the salaries going the way they are with UFA's, we may just be on the outside looking in...especially with Holland's philosophy on salary...

Edited by LeftWinger

You're still on? I officially threw myself off the wagon and gave up on him when he dropped Hossa and signed Justin Williams in 09.

Let's just say I've tried to avoid taking a side one way or the other even as the frustration and stupid comments - "We like our team" and the over-ripe comment keep mounting up.

Guest Johnz96

I still think Holland may go for someone like Penner as the size he is looking for...I could be wrong, but recently Holland is more known for the not so blockbuster UFA signing...

I think if Holland bought out Sammy, said goodbye to Flip and Cleary, then inked Brunner, Weiss and Penner (along with our RFA's) that this team would compete very well in the East. It is all about the cash now though. I am not sure they could ink Weiss and Penner AND our RFA's PLUS Brunner...not without trading a couple of forwards for a pick. I suppose he could ink them all and see who is going to start the season on IR, then as folks get healthy make a small deal...with the salaries going the way they are with UFA's, we may just be on the outside looking in...especially with Holland's philosophy on salary...

I would rather have Bert than Penner.

the issue i have with cleary coming back is that he is babcock's favoriter player, which means he will be getting top 6 minutes guaranteed. because of that, i really hope cleary is gone.

I have no issue with holland not signing any big name ufa this year. the wings have one of the best prospect pools in the league, it's time to put it to good use

If this is true - then he should remain on LTIR throughout the 2013/2014 season.

If this is true they should trade him to anywhere that will take him. For whatever offer us.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

If this is true they should trade him to anywhere that will take him. For whatever offer us.

nice try!...holland gave him a NTC for some ungodly reason.