• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

I like Bert. Cleary signing seems like a lot, but everyone from teammates to coaching to management seems to like him. He's a heart guy who gives his all every night. Good for the bottom six

Edit: I can't imagine 3x3 being true. If it is, its a little much

That's the problem though, we don't play him in the bottom 6. He played in the TOP 6 every game he played, which is obviously quite ridiculous and yet another reason why I and most others don't want him back

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#22 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Now, get a snarly stay at home defensemen that clears the crease. Douglas Murray, Ryan O'Byrne, or Jim Vandermeer.

Bertuzzi is still effective if he can get healthy, so I'm not upset that he's sticking around.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#23 TigerDan

TigerDan

Goon

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think using a buyout on Carlo is a waste.  IMHO, he was one of our top 4 defensemen in the playoffs, and is paid less than at least one guy who he outplayed (Quincy).  I think he could and would crack our lineup even with DeKeyser back.  Now, we are relying on Smith to step it up and Quincy to play to his potential every night vs. having a guy that came in and played rock solid in our back pocket.  And we're doing this why? To keep Samuelsson??  WTF???

I don't have too much of a problem with the Cleary deal, though I wish it was more like 2 years at 2M or 2.5M.  I know a lot of people want a star player in his place, but I'd argue that he brings some of the things to the table that we need: he'll go to the net, he plays tougher than his size and he gives 100% every time out on the ice.  He's like Rudy - I wish I could put his heart into Franzen's body.

I don't have too much of a problem with keeping Bert too.  If he's hurt, we can IR him and maybe get someone else (IR doesn't count against cap?). While if he's truly healthy, he can bring some size, grit, toughness and scoring.

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season. What with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him? Whhelll, I guess that's more than most 21 year olds could handle."

#24 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

I'm fine with Bert, but I'm hoping that Cleary contract rumor is inflated in both term and money.

#25 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I think using a buyout on Carlo is a waste.  IMHO, he was one of our top 4 defensemen in the playoffs, and is paid less than at least one guy who he outplayed (Quincy).  I think he could and would crack our lineup even with DeKeyser back.  Now, we are relying on Smith to step it up and Quincy to play to his potential every night vs. having a guy that came in and played rock solid in our back pocket.  And we're doing this why? To keep Samuelsson??  WTF???

I don't have too much of a problem with the Cleary deal, though I wish it was more like 2 years at 2M or 2.5M.  I know a lot of people want a star player in his place, but I'd argue that he brings some of the things to the table that we need: he'll go to the net, he plays tougher than his size and he gives 100% every time out on the ice.  He's like Rudy - I wish I could put his heart into Franzen's body.

I don't have too much of a problem with keeping Bert too.  If he's hurt, we can IR him and maybe get someone else (IR doesn't count against cap?). While if he's truly healthy, he can bring some size, grit, toughness and scoring.

He is 37, this contract would end at 40, he's our weakest player with the puck and literally never ceases to fall everytime theres a battle. 

Even on the free market, he wouldn't get more than 2M. 

Edited by ShanahanMan, 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#26 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Cleary is 34.

#27 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Cleary's knees won't last 3 years Kenny.  

#28 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

He's not 37, he's 34.

#29 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

all we ever seem to do is resign our own players or players who have been here before ... id rather just give more ice time to the kids comes a time to let go of the past

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 02 July 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#30 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

That's the problem though, we don't play him in the bottom 6. He played in the TOP 6 every game he played, which is obviously quite ridiculous and yet another reason why I and most others don't want him back

Hopefully there will be far less injuries next year. I also think with Tatar coming up, at least one of our young third liners will be bumped up to a top 6 winger role. No?

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#31 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

I agree 100%.  Colo actually did something this past season and is in a position of need.  Sammy did literally nothing for us, costs us more and plays a position we're log jammed at already.  I'm not sure why they're keeping him.  He's not good enough to be top 6 and if he plays the bottom 6, he'll take away a roster spot from one our younger players that should be with the big club.  I really hope there's a trade in the works here.

#32 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if Cleary signed 3 years. It'll probly bring him to retirement and im pretty sure at some point Holland or babs said Cleary would be a wing for life..

that said, 3 mill per is disgusting.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#33 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

3 years at $3mil per? Don'tf****** do it, Kenny.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

So...Let me get this straight...We got 2 guys...When healthy - one is actually pretty useful, and we're getting rid of him, and the other when healthy is...Well...We're gonna keep him.....Makes sense :blink:

Not to sound harsh.....Cleary - Bertuzzi - Samuelsson should not be Red Wings at the start of the 2013/2014 NHL season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#35 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

So...Let me get this straight...We got 2 guys...When healthy - one is actually pretty useful, and we're getting rid of him, and the other when healthy is...Well...We're gonna keep him.....Makes sense :blink:

Not to sound harsh.....Cleary - Bertuzzi - Samuelsson should not be Red Wings at the start of the 2013/2014 NHL season.

Pretty much.  Holland is obsessed with old geysers who aren't that good anymore.  Did Bertuzzi or Samuelsson even play last season?  Why are they being given another chance to get injured?   

I remember Cleary playing, because we all made countless jokes about him throughout the year, but he actually played well in the playoffs.  But still, its time to be fully committed to a youth movement.  We'd have enough veterans with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall to have a balanced lineup with experience and youth.

He's not 37, he's 34.

He moves like he's 44.  Ric Flair is in better shape than him.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#36 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Pretty much.  Holland is obsessed with old geysers who aren't that good anymore.  Did Bertuzzi or Samuelsson even play last season?  Why are they being given another chance to get injured?   

I remember Cleary playing, because we all made countless jokes about him throughout the year, but he actually played well in the playoffs.  But still, its time to be fully committed to a youth movement.  We'd have enough veterans with Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall to have a balanced lineup with experience and youth.

He moves like he's 44.  Ric Flair is in better shape than him.  

I'd buy a Cleary jersey if he boarded somebody and went "WOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!"

#37 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Any news on what type of buyout is being used? Unless they plan to buyout Mule next season, they don't need to save the compliance buyout, but it isn't necessary to use it now unless the Wings plan to be near the cap.

#38 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

I don't by any means think Jurco or Teemu are NHL ready...probably not even close. But they'd be a better option than a 3 mill Cleary. He skates like the Timbits at intermission, leaning on his stick for balance and falls over when grazed. I'm kind of done watching him play for Detroit.

#39 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

2.5 is a great deal for us in regard to Brunner, I don't care if he wants 6 years. I thought he'd come in closer to 3, maybe even 3.5 to keep him...

But 3 per for Cleary?! WTF?!

Yeah, I'm not understanding that logic.  A guy that's been hurt for 3 years, let's sign him to $3mil per when he's a bottom 6 player who played in the top 6 due to injuries.  I won't be getting gamecenter next year if Cleary re-signs and takes Tatar's spot yet again.  He's old news.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#40 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Commentary for Cleary:

Cleary skates down the left boards, trips over centre ice line, collects himself and continues down the boards.  He hits the blue line with mediocre speed and gets the puck as close as he can to his favorite shooting are, top of the circle, puck literally touching the boards, and he sends a wrister to the net......bread basket!  We never saw that coming!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.