• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#121 chances14

chances14

The Magician

• PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

I know I'll probably get flack for this but I'm okay with him re-signing Cleary if it's for a decent price. The guys a warrior and in spite of how people discount all his points, he was second only to Z in playoff scoring.

It just needs to be at good value, short term, and he should play fewer minutes.

re-signing Sammy on the other hand, I'm still ticked about. And now even if Holland wants to he may not be able to buy Sammy out because he's "injured."
True. It would've been what, something like $23 million tied up through 2021 AND having to re-sign Datsyuk?

It's a decent value for those guys now but the team loses so much flexibility for future moves.

the issue i have with cleary coming back is that he is babcock's favoriter player, which means he will be getting top 6 minutes guaranteed. because of that, i really hope cleary is gone.

I have no issue with holland not signing any big name ufa this year. the wings have one of the best prospect pools in the league, it's time to put it to good use

#122 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

"You know, Clears knows how to go to the net, you know. He's tough and plays hard, you know."

#123 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Sammy is claiming injury so he can't be bought out according to freep

If this is true - then he should remain on LTIR throughout the 2013/2014 season.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#124 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

If this is true - then he should remain on LTIR throughout the 2013/2014 season.

If this is true they should trade him to anywhere that will take him. For whatever offer us.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#125 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

"You know, Clears knows how to go to the net, you know. He's tough and plays hard, you know."

"I like our team"

#126 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

If this is true they should trade him to anywhere that will take him. For whatever offer us.

I doubt there'd be any takers...

#127 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

nice try!...holland gave him a NTC for some ungodly reason.

#128 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

nice try!...holland gave him a NTC for some ungodly reason.

:crybaby:

#129 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

That's a great GM right there!

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#130 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

the issue i have with cleary coming back is that he is babcock's favoriter player, which means he will be getting top 6 minutes guaranteed. because of that, i really hope cleary is gone.

I have no issue with holland not signing any big name ufa this year. the wings have one of the best prospect pools in the league, it's time to put it to good use

Can you blame him?

Cleary had a separated shoulder in the final game against Anaheim and all of the Chicago series, and was still more of a factor than Flip and Mule. I'm not saying re-signing him is a must for the Wings, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do and I understand why the coach loves him.

Him getting so many top 6 and PP minutes only shows Detroit's need for a real scorer up front. If they remedy that, Cleary can move down and still be effective. And I said, if they do re-sign him hopefully it's for fairly short term because his body probably won't hold up that much longer.

#131 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

I don't want Cleary back, but it's not like I'll burn the place down if he's resigned. 

I don't understand what they were thinking when they agreed to this IR exception to the compliance buyout.  If the point of the buyout is to escape from burdensome contracts that can be as long as 5-10 years (though not in Sammy's case, obviously), then why prohibit them for players hurt at the end of last year, but who presumably will be ready to play next season?

I think with how negative this place was last summer and leading up to the start of games in January on Holland, a lot of people had egg on their face the way the youth movement made this team better than it was last year.  Holland deserves the credit for assembling that talent, and Babcock for patiently executing it.  It's just too bad Kenny got in his own way by signing this garbage veteran deals (Sammy, Carlo, Tootoo) that were instantly regrettable. 

#132 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

If we sign Cleary and NOT Brunner I will be livid. We need to lean towards a faster and younger team for the meantime to support Z and Dats rather than making them do the heavy lifting on shifts with old dogs like Clears.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#133 pondrocket

pondrocket

Rookie

• Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Obviously the pace of 37 years old Cleary won't be a problem unlike Lecavalier  :scared:...good $$$ for Brunner though  :clap:

No way is Brunner going to take 2.5, great if he did.  Cleary should take a one year 1.8 or a two year 3.5, or he should join Calgary, or wherever else he can gain a contract.

Edited by pondrocket, 03 July 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#134 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

If we sign Cleary and NOT Brunner I will be livid. We need to lean towards a faster and younger team for the meantime to support Z and Dats rather than making them do the heavy lifting on shifts with old dogs like Clears.

But unfortunately you know that's exactly what's going to happen.

#135 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I know I'll probably get flack for this but I'm okay with him re-signing Cleary if it's for a decent price. The guys a warrior and in spite of how people discount all his points, he was second only to Z in playoff scoring.

It just needs to be at good value, short term, and he should play fewer minutes.

re-signing Sammy on the other hand, I'm still ticked about. And now even if Holland wants to he may not be able to buy Sammy out because he's "injured."
True. It would've been what, something like $23 million tied up through 2021 AND having to re-sign Datsyuk?

It's a decent value for those guys now but the team loses so much flexibility for future moves.

IMO he had 1 good half playoff series in the last 2 years.  Other then that, his favorite move is get the puck, pin it to the corner half way up the boards, and then let the dman take it away and throw it out of the zone.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#136 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

IMO he had 1 good half playoff series in the last 2 years.  Other then that, his favorite move is get the puck, pin it to the corner half way up the boards, and then let the dman take it away and throw it out of the zone.

and then fall over so the back check is less effective. 

#137 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

Enough Cleary. There has to be a younger option. If Holland is truly looking to the future, and keep the payroll down, how can he POSSIBLY justify keeping Cleary around?

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#138 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

Enough Cleary. There has to be a younger option. If Holland is truly looking to the future, and keep the payroll down, how can he POSSIBLY justify keeping Cleary around?

Cleary and Samuelsson obviously have some major dirt on Ken. It's bizarre that Samuelsson hasn't been bought out yet.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros, 03 July 2013 - 01:44 PM.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#139 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,866 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:52 PM

It all depends on the dollar amount. If he gets him signed at decent value, Cleary is a good utility player. I'd rather he buy out Sammy and find someone to fill his spot who is actually healthy and can be a part of the Wings future.

#140 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

If Holland signs Cleary and then stands pat then he has succeeded in going against everything the fanbase hoped for. This is what will most likely happen.