• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SwedeLundin77

Buffalo fielding calls for Vanek

Rate this topic

Rather have Clarkson than Vanek who will cost way more to re-sign AND at least a first round pick, roster player + good prospect

I'd rather have a proven goal scorer over Clarkson who scored 30 goals one time. Camel puts up at least 60 points almost every year and his lowest goal total not including this half season where he scored 20 in 38 games is 25 goals. For the difference of 1 million between them I'll take vanek any day

Rather have Clarkson than Vanek who will cost way more to re-sign AND at least a first round pick, roster player + good prospect

I'd rather have a proven goal scorer over Clarkson who scored 30 goals one time. Camel puts up at least 60 points almost every year and his lowest goal total not including this half season where he scored 20 in 38 games is 25 goals. For the difference of 1 million between them I'll take vanek any day

The thing is Vanek has one year left on his contract according to cap geek and the guy will get a big raise and I don't think he is worth ~ 2 mil more than Clarkson who can play in all situations and provide a physical presence.

Clarkson is not really proven to be able to play in "all" situations. Why in the world would you pay an unproven player 6 million for long term?!? That makes zero sense. It makes much more sense to trade from our abundant forward depth and get Vanek, then work on an extension with him. You don't know how much he may or may not command. If he buys into our system, he won't get more than Datsyuk, so he'll still only cost us a million more.

If we could sign Clarkson for 3.5-4.5, sure... but 6 million for a 1 time 30 goal scorer is a tad much... Franzen is the nearest comparison on our team to Clarkson and you're going to pay him 2.2 million more based on one season? Nope.

I'd take Vanek - he is a pure scorer.

I second that! Also Vanek is a very good net front presence (not as tenacious as Holmstrom but with good hands and patience too), he is very good on the power play and he can kill penalties as well. He's put up good numbers on an average team and he is very durable. I'd take him over Clarkson anyday, not just because he's a fellow Austrian.

Guest Crymson

The thing is Vanek has one year left on his contract according to cap geek and the guy will get a big raise and I don't think he is worth ~ 2 mil more than Clarkson who can play in all situations and provide a physical presence.

Clarkson is crap on defense, frank, and he most certainly does not play in all situations; he ranked near the bottom amongst the Devils in time on the PK.

I'd take Vanek - he is a pure scorer. We can buyout Franzen next offseason.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130702.html

Holland and Regier are tight, so hopefully we can make something work with this. Tatar and Tootoo for Vanek... as a starting point, I know we'd probably need to part with more than that.

I don't like Clarkson either, but Vanek is not the answer. He has only one season left on his contract; he is thus not worth spending important assets upon.

Vanek is a great player for sure and obviously better than Clarkson, Horton but the guy - if he is even available - will cost the Wings $ + first round pick + asset as a GM I would not be willing to pay that for one year of Vanek.

Knowing Holmgren I think they might try package deal (Miller + Vanek) for couturier, 1 pick, B. Schenn and something crazy like that.

IF Vanek leaves Buffalo Miller will for sure follow, so this team would then be left without any star-players I don't think Pegula would be fine with that.

Guest Crymson

Vanek is a great player for sure and obviously better than Clarkson, Horton but the guy - if he is even available - will cost the Wings $ + first round pick + asset as a GM I would not be willing to pay that for one year of Vanek. Knowing Holmgren I think they might try package deal (Miller + Vanek) for couturier, 1 pick, B. Schenn and something crazy like that. IF Vanek leaves Buffalo Miller will for sure follow, so this team would then be left without any star-players I don't think Pegula would be fine with that.

The Sabres are absolutely in a transition year. I would not be surprised to see a total rebuild transpire.

Vanek on the streets of London?

Initial, knee-jerk response: YESPLZ!!

The one-year-remaining thing does turn me off a bit...but we do have a logjam up front...and several thousand shiny prospects on our showroom floor. And, as much as Alfredsson and Weiss will probably *help generate more offense* (I smell euphemism), we're still short that clutch goal-scorer guy who could change our top-six from solid to sick.

And Brunner - who was a pretty clutch goal-scorer guy when it counted - is almost certainly gone. And Alfredsson probably only has a year left in him, so, y'know, [heartstrings]do it for Alfie[/tearjerker], and stuff.

Butheyguesswhat: the Sabres are in our division now. And YEAH I HEAR WHAT UR SAYING BUT DAN CLEARY IS THE PRIORITY #veteran fetish. And the argument can be made that, the way things stand right now, we need an elite defenseman more than we need a Thomas Vanek. (What if we lose Kronwall for a big chunk of time, or, God forbid, one of those rest-of-the-season-then-surgery-in-the-summer dealies?)

I do not think he is going to sign with Minnesota. There will be alot of teams bidding for his services, Thomas could easily become the biggest free agent 2014. Would not be surprised if the Rangers would be interested in him also.

Edited by frankgrimes

I do not think he is going to sign with Minnesota. There will be alot of teams bidding for his services, Thomas could easily become the biggest free agent 2014. Would not be surprised if the Rangers would be interested in him also.

Yeah I'm sure the NYR are going to be interested. Heck a lot of teams surely. But the only reason I say or maybe people are saying Minnesota is cause Vanek played for the Gophers and won a national championship with them. Was also the MVP of the tourney in 02-03 I believe.

Yeah I'm sure the NYR are going to be interested. Heck a lot of teams surely. But the only reason I say or maybe people are saying Minnesota is cause Vanek played for the Gophers and won a national championship with them. Was also the MVP of the tourney in 02-03 I believe.

sure but I really believe he wants to compete for the cup, so the Wild would have to pull of another Parise like move

sure but I really believe he wants to compete for the cup, so the Wild would have to pull of another Parise like move

Can the Wild even afford Vanek after the Olsen twins?

Well Backstrom is coming off the books some of their younger players might be able to replace the veterans, plus an increasing cap should give them plenty of money. Although I think he is a great player I hope the Wings aen't going after him, because they npeed defense more than everything.