• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheel91

The Overreaction Thread

Rate this topic

I'm not sure what you were watching but the Wings lost in Overtime in game 7 on a shot that deflected off of Kronwall's skate. They lost game six on a horrible penalty shot call against them. They could easily have won either game and eliminated the hawks. Didn't have a chance? WTF?

When the Wings were up 3-1, I was as hopeful as anyone. I was thrilled with the Wings' performance, pleased that they made the playoffs a 22nd year straight and had already beaten the Ducks.

But when a team loses in seven games after being up 3-1, they deserved to lose and were beaten by the better team. Maybe you aren't old enough to remember the Wings losing to St. Louis in 91 in 7 games. The young Wings were up 3-1 in that series as underdogs and eventually lost. Moreover, they had no business being up 3-1 in that series. St. Louis had 105 pts. that season, the Wings an under .500 76 pts.

Or consider the next season when the Wings came back against Minnesota after a 3-1 deficit. "Pretty much goal," Fedorov said about an overtime winner. The North Stars didn't deserve to win that series and they didn't. Minny's point total that year? 70 to Det's 98. Again, the better team won.

These examples of underdogs losing in 7 games can probably be attributed to good teams playing down to the level of their competition more than anything. Did the Wings give Chicago a good series this year? Absolutely. But when the Hawks finally got their collective heads out of their collective butts, they turned it on and won, no matter how close the final score was. Chicago beat Detroit when they had to, just like St. Louis did to the Wings in 91 and the Wings did to Minny in 92.

So while this year's playoff run was, I think most could agree, a fun and improbable ride, it ended when it should have, against the team that beat us every time in the regular season. The games were close but the outcome really wasn't.

So....just to recap... The Serratoni guy basically said criticizing the team is all part of being a fan.

Then, MidMichSteve posts a definition of fanatic that includes the phrase "uncritical enthusiasm."

THEN, Serratoni 'likes' MidMichSteve's definition post that seemed (to me) to contradict Serratoni's previous post.

..... am I misreading something? Did the guy change his mind on what a fan is, or....?

Guess I ASSumed MidMichSteve was supporting my post, but I see your point. If he wasn't agreeing with me, he's wrong.

Sheep don't criticize. Fans do, can, and have every right to do so.

Can we get a fan letter in to Mr Illitch to voice our displeasure with Holland? I think most people would just be happy with a GM that avoids dead weight players and lets the kids fill spots as they earn it. Im not saying holland should be spending to the cap with the flavor of the month - i just want him to stop pursuing old vets instead of letting the kids play. Why draft them then?

As eager as I am to sign that, it would be ignored.

Guest DeGraa55

Maybe Ken Holland is medically insane?

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

Using a fact like that to support it kinda of makes it true? Hopefully he proves us wrong though....

Guest Crymson

Can we get a fan letter in to Mr Illitch to voice our displeasure with Holland? I think most people would just be happy with a GM that avoids dead weight players and lets the kids fill spots as they earn it. Im not saying holland should be spending to the cap with the flavor of the month - i just want him to stop pursuing old vets instead of letting the kids play. Why draft them then?

Holland has helped Ilitch earn loads of money. If you hadn't noticed, postseason performances bring in quite a bit of dough. And by just about every metric out there, Holland is the best GM of the past 15 years.

Guest Playmaker

As Mr. Ilitch is Ken Holland's boss, I would guess the decisions he makes are with the approval of Mr. I or whoever is making the decisions for him at this point.

Stan Bowman also had the good fortune of inheriting a team that had back to back top 3 picks in the draft, in which they were able to get Kane and Toews. I would imagine if the Wings missed the playoffs for a few seasons and Holland was able to get picks like that, the Wings might look a little different right now.

I see why this is called the overreaction thread. We're barely into July and the Wings are already out of it. LOL

Guest Crymson

I see why this is called the overreaction thread. We're barely into July and the Wings are already out of it. LOL

Just wait until we don't get Vanek...

Picking up a year of Vanek would be stupid unless he came very cheap, and there's no reason for the Sabres to trade him for very cheap.

I think the term fan comes from the word fanatic.

fa·nat·ic [fuh-nat-ik]

noun

a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal, as in religion or politics.

Actually, it's far more likely that the term fan came from a shortened version of the word, "fanciers" given the era in which it was coined - the early 1900s.

'

This statement has to be one of the most lazy, thoughtless cliches in all of sports fandom. Just because fans want their team to improve or because they criticize moves or the lack thereof does not make those fans "spoiled." It makes them passionate. That's the definition of being a fan.

Straw Man, with a False Dichotomy thrown in for good measure. If your idea of "thoughtful" is simply combining logical fallacies, I am proud to be considered "thoughtless".

But this is kind of the problem with being merely passionate--it tends to overcloud rational thought.

Straw Man, with a False Dichotomy thrown in for good measure. If your idea of "thoughtful" is simply combining logical fallacies, I am proud to be considered "thoughtless".

But this is kind of the problem with being merely passionate--it tends to overcloud rational thought.

Irony: the guy who repeats a cliche yet claims to be using "rational thought." Good one.

Popping onto an internet spots forums and spouting off "Red Wings fans are spoiled" *is* lazy and that's why it's thoughtless. Moreover, it adds nothing to the conversation. It's a damn cliche. The sheep says, "Red Wings fans are spoiled -- baaaaah!"

Why? Because it doesn't consider the fact that MOST fans of all teams/sports behave the same supposedly spoiled way. Want proof? Visit a Lions' forum. The fans there rant and rave about their team and its management, yet the Lions have done anything BUT spoil their fans.

Congrats on keeping to your plan of making the team bigger, younger, and increasing scoring by signing a 5'11 guy who got .24 ppg last year to a 4.9 5 year deal that will take a roster spot from one of the kids going forward. He replaced a guy who over the last two years had . 68 ppg to Weiss' .62 ppg, and was an inch taller.

An aging 5'11 guy will help that out on top of that who is really old, and got .55 ppg last year to replace a 27 year old who got .59 ppg and two more goals in his first season who you could have gotten for a lot less than 5.5 Million.

Holland sure is doing a great job. Good show old boy. Bonus, you let Val walk without trading away his rights or anything like that...

What a s***ty, s***ty, s***ty job he has done the last three years. If Jim Nill was the reason we draft well, this team is going to be defunct in five years. He doesn't have the guts to make a good move, then gets into a panic and throws money into horrible contracts that hurt the team.

He didn't even buy out the right freaking contracts!

Holland sure is doing a great job. Good show old boy. Bonus, you let Val walk without trading away his rights or anything like that...

Hard to trade the rights of a player who was destined for free agency.

Congrats on keeping to your plan of making the team bigger, younger, and increasing scoring by signing a 5'11 guy who got .24 ppg last year to a 4.9 5 year deal that will take a roster spot from one of the kids going forward. He replaced a guy who over the last two years had . 68 ppg to Weiss' .62 ppg, and was an inch taller.

An aging 5'11 guy will help that out on top of that who is really old, and got .55 ppg last year to replace a 27 year old who got .59 ppg and two more goals in his first season who you could have gotten for a lot less than 5.5 Million.

What a s***ty, s***ty, s***ty job he has done the last three years. If Jim Nill was the reason we draft well, this team is going to be defunct in five years. He doesn't have the guts to make a good move, then gets into a panic and throws money into horrible contracts that hurt the team.

He didn't even buy out the right freaking contracts!

I see we're copy and pasting from thread to thread now...

This is not going to take away any roster spots from the youth. If anything it will take away Cleary, Fil, Brunner, Sammy or Bertuzzi's spots. As they are all either expired this year or the next.

This is one of the most exciting days in the last few years and of course you find a way to criticize it.

we are now vulnerable to offer sheets. Say someone signs Nyquist to 20m/4y. Will be able to match? Will we match? He is not 5M player now, but he could be in 2 years.

Oh and yeah, sniff around Morrow as well. Not like you have to sign Nyqvist, Anderson, and Brendan Smith with 2.3 million dollars. WHAT Af****** JOKE!

Its not complicated...Sign all 3 for around 1.5-2 million each...Would put us at 16 forwards 7 defense......trim 2 forwards via buyout and trade with one being Sammy. Voila!

edited for clarification...

Edited by Son of a Wing

Its not complicated...Sign all 3 for around 1.5-2 million each...Would put us at 16 forwards 7 defense......trim 2 forwards via buyout and trade with one being Sammy. Voila!

Nyquist is very promising, so we better sign him long term now but it would require more than 1.5-2m. It is impossible to trade Sammy and buyouting him gives up nothing as this is 35+ contract.

Nyquist is very promising, so we better sign him long term now but it would require more than 1.5-2m. It is impossible to trade Sammy and buyouting him gives up nothing as this is 35+ contract.

Yeah plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just realized we're past the stage for normal buyouts regardless. Not just Compliance. So trades it is...

Yeah plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I just realized we're past the stage for normal buyouts regardless. Not just Compliance. So trades it is...

it seems normal buyout are still feasible.

Actually, it's far more likely that the term fan came from a shortened version of the word, "fanciers" given the era in which it was coined - the early 1900s.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Definition of FAN
1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) <science-fiction fans>
Origin of FAN
probably short for fanatic
First Known Use: 1682

Vanek is younger and a much more effective goalscorer than Franzen. It doesn't get much softer than regular season Franzen.

I heard Kyle Wellwood was softer than the Downy bear but I'm with you Franzen is beyond useless physically in the regular season.

Hard to trade the rights of a player who was destined for free agency.

How's that? Happens every year....just ask Paul Holmgren...or Mark Streit

Edited by achildr1

How's that? Happens every year....just ask Paul Holmgren...or Mark Streit

Streit was willing to make a deal before Free Agency....as evidenced by him actually doing so.

Flip told the Wings and all potential suitors that he was not willing to sign any deals until free agency started. Teams are only going to give up a pick if they are given at least a short period of exclusive bargaining.

Flip actually prevented us from getting anything in return for his rights.