• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingOvertime

Grabovski Bought Out

Rate this topic

His contract constitutes a definite overpayment for a guy who isn't all that much better than Filppula.

I definitely agree. But I wouldn't be surprised so see him get even as much 6M on the open market. I don't think Kenny should claim him. But F. Michael did bring up an interesting point. Of course depending on how much interest Kenny actually has in him. Just seems to be quite a head-scratching few weeks seeing what some of these players are asking for.

I think Grabs is from Belarus...

Grabovski is not exactly Russian. He is Belorussian.

wiki says that Belarus became independent from Russia in 1991. Grabovski was born in 1984 ... hehe.

Doesn't matter ... him and Dats on the same line would be fun to watch them shred some teams up ... for the discounted bought out player rate of course. $3.5-4m/yr? We could use some more scorers.

Edited by RedWingsRox

wiki says that Belarus became independent from Russia in 1991. Grabovski was born in 1984 ... hehe.

Does not make a difference. He was actually born in Postdam, East Germany but it does not make him German (or Russian). His parents are from Belarus, which makes him Belorussian.

In Soviet Union there was nationality (ethnicity) record in passport.

The internal passports identified every bearer by nationality (ethnicity) (национальность, natsional’nost’), e.g., Russian, Ukrainian, Uzbek, Estonian, Jew. This was on the so-called "fifth record" (пятая графа, pyataya grafa) of the passport. When an individual applied for his passport at age 16, his nationality would automatically be that of his parents if they were of the same nationality as one another (verified by the recorded nationality of the parents on the applicant's birth certificate). If they differed in nationality (again, based on the parents' nationality on the child's birth certificate), then the applicant would have to choose between the two nationalities. In this way an individual's passport nationality was fixed for life at age 16.

I am not sure what is the basis for the article stating that Grabovski got a "volatile personality". If it is only because of his words about Carlyle (and only after he was no longer with the team) then I would not give it a second thought.

He is a fast skater. I think more speed would be nice for Detroit.

Grabovski.....the guy who's not afraid to punch women in the face or demand a trade when you're scratched for a game.

The dude has major major attitude problems and am even surprised he's being considered. Not the type of attitude we want in our dressing room, especially with the youngins.

Grabovski.....the guy who's not afraid to punch women in the face or demand a trade when you're scratched for a game.

The dude has major major attitude problems and am even surprised he's being considered. Not the type of attitude we want in our dressing room, especially with the youngins.

You sound like you don't know what your talking about. He is a great skater, can move the puck well, loves to shoot, and he had zero problems attitude wise in Toronto. Is he pissed now? Yah. His GM just told everyone earlier this week that he was not using a 2nd buyout so Grabo would be safe, then a couple days later he buys Grabo out. If Grabo had such a bad attitude, then he would have done this complaining to the media while he was still a member of the team during the season. Instead, he kept his mouth shut and kept playing and competiting.

Furthermore, in his concluding comments he had this to say: ""I need to work harder," he concluded, taking time to thank his teammates, equipment managers and fans, "I need to be smarter, I need to play harder, need to play better and score a lot of goals and do what I do the best."

To me, this sounds like a player who knows what he has to do to succeed and a good player who is ready to continue to work hard.

You sound like you don't know what your talking about. He is a great skater, can move the puck well, loves to shoot, and he had zero problems attitude wise in Toronto. Is he pissed now? Yah. His GM just told everyone earlier this week that he was not using a 2nd buyout so Grabo would be safe, then a couple days later he buys Grabo out. If Grabo had such a bad attitude, then he would have done this complaining to the media while he was still a member of the team during the season. Instead, he kept his mouth shut and kept playing and competiting.

Furthermore, in his concluding comments he had this to say: ""I need to work harder," he concluded, taking time to thank his teammates, equipment managers and fans, "I need to be smarter, I need to play harder, need to play better and score a lot of goals and do what I do the best."

To me, this sounds like a player who knows what he has to do to succeed and a good player who is ready to continue to work hard.

Some Summer reading for you:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-grabovski-sued-by-couple-who-claim-assault-during-olympics/article1715703/

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/02/11/max_pacioretty_got_tetanus_shot_after_alleged_bite_by_leafs_mikhail_grabovski.html

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2012/02/10/leafs_mikhail_grabovski_attributes_trade_from_habs_to_inexperience.html

Another interesting thing to take into consideration... apparently tomorrow Grabo is getting married to a chick from the Windsor area (for those of you who do not know, it is right across the border from Detroit). Maybe she will put her foot down and have him sign in Hockeytown :)

To keep this discussion moving with some hopes of creating some insightful banter...

If Holland does covet Grabovski - does he claim him off waivers (thus accepting his contract of 5 years, and $27.5 million), or does he wait until he clears waivers, and becomes a UFA, and then competes against rival GMs for his services (mind you Grabo's cost could reach $5 million, or more in a bidding war).

Its an interesting point, and one I thought about too. BTW I believe he only has 4 years left on his contract which makes it more tempting.

Another interesting thing to take into consideration... apparently tomorrow Grabo is getting married to a chick from the Windsor area (for those of you who do not know, it is right across the border from Detroit). Maybe she will put her foot down and have him sign in Hockeytown :)

it worked in minny for parise and suter so maybe! :P

I disagree with saying he has an attitude problem. Carlyle gave him the shaft when he came into the team. The guy could have easily started issues in the media during the season and caused all kinds of disruptions. Instead he acted like a professional and competed hard despite being dropped to the bottom 6 and playing few minutes. Its only after his ties with the team were severed that he went after Carlyle and in my opinion its 100% justified with how he was treated. If the Wings are interested in him Id rather they claim him off waivers. His price in open FA will probably cost more especially if the "top" forwards this year go quick and teams panic and start bidding wars.