• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#181 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

Given the choice between overpaying Brunner due to a bidding war(as it appears Brunner wants to test the market) or Alfie in this instance I pick Alfie.

But if you are asking me do we trade a pick for Alfie or draft Sequin, Hall, Stamkos, etc...

I take the draft pick.

See I am not assigning my logic to all situations, I use logic based on the individual circumstance.

I know that may seem weird to some, but I actually look at each transaction as a one off situation, there is no fix all tool.

Edit: This is response to Dirty Dangle, the gap between our posts was bigger than I thought it would be!

Edited by Opie, 05 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#182 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

Danny to Dallas, please

#183 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I guess Detroit needed a little something to instantly rekindle a rivalry with the Leafs  :)

And they can add to that if we get Grabo haha

#184 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Brunner is easily worth 3 million a season, Kenny MUST sign him. MUST. He is THAT good.

#185 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I absolutely hate this signing! Grrrrr! I hope he proves me wrong!

I hear you. It's not that I don't want Alfie as a Wing, I love that idea, even as an old Alfie. But this isn't 2002, there are consequences for every signing. I hate this signing for what it means for our other activity.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

#186 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,006 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Y'know what? I kinda like this. Really, I do. Kinda.

But only if there are other deals in the pipeline and we're not letting Flip and Brunner go just so we can have a Holy Trinity of Over-the-Hillers in Alfredsson-Bertuzzi-Samuelsson.

And, seriously, if Alfie's in, Danny Boy needs to be out.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#187 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Dallas makes a ton of sense for Cleary. They just traded for a young player, he is best friends with Horcoff who was just traded there, and there is familiarity with Jim Nill.

I loved Cleary and wish him the best, but I hope he moves on from the Wings.
Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001

#188 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Watching some Alfie clips, it's pretty refreshing to see a player that attacks the net, and goes for one timers alot. Please put him on a line with Z and D, if they sign Grabo or Weiss.

#189 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Those picks could busted easily. You are using hindsight. You could trade the first overall pick for a current top nhl player instead just like taking alfie over a young unproven brunner.

OK, I would rather pick Seth Jones than sign Alfie, but would rather sign Alfie than get in a bidding war over Brunner.

Better?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#190 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

OK, I would rather pick Seth Jones than sign Alfie, but would rather sign Alfie than get in a bidding war over Brunner.

Better?

Ok to each his own.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#191 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

No surprise, Bruins have been informed their ``out'' on Alfredsson. B's lose out to Detroit.

#192 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Discussion of Alfredsson contract has been moved to here!