• This topic is locked This topic is locked
191 replies to this topic

#101 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

I would really like to see the details on this, 2 yr max at 4 would be good with me.

This is not Modano who was a reclamation project at his age.

Alfie still had a very solid year last year and proved himself still a viable top 6 forward.

He will not put up Stamkos/Crosby numbers but he will be a very good all around forward on this team.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#102 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total

tumblr_lmd0da7Wu21qzbkx0o1_400.gif

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#103 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie11s

Expectation is Alfredsson will go to DET. Since he's 35+ player, base salary likely in $3.5M range with bonuses taking it up to $5M total

Just threw up in my mouth.

My god, how does Holland still have defenders?

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#104 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,077 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Waste of money, waste of time. What a joke.

#NOMOREKINDL

#105 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

If true, what a slap in the face of the Sens fans.

#106 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Just threw up in my mouth.

My god, how does Holland still have defenders?

I'd like to hear what they have to say right about now. I think everyone is pissed.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#107 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,362 posts

Good lord, I never thought the answer to the question "can one ever have too many Swedes?" would be a resounding "f*** yes you can," but here you have it.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#108 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Holland - "All your swedes are belong to us"

#109 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

So does everyone hate this because of the age, possible term, or money?  I guess because (I haven't watched ANY Sens games) I was always under the impression Alferdsson was still decent.  If so for a year contract, I don't think 3.5 would be bad.

reading other boards, it seems that Bos fans and Sen fans still want him, so take that for what it's worth as well. 

Edited by ben_usmc, 05 July 2013 - 10:02 AM.

There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#110 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

What is up with all the crying? It will be a one year deal that won't handcuff the team going forward. If we had Alfie's production in this past playoff run we probably beat Chicago. If anything it would give the Wings someone to win it for, assuming the right pieces come together 

#111 Wings3:16

Wings3:16

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I'll take Alfredsson, but its hilarious how he told the public he was worried about Vinny's "pace"

Wings in 2013...Bring the Cup back to Hockeytown!

#112 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

What is up with all the crying? It will be a one year deal that won't handcuff the team going forward. If we had Alfie's production in this past playoff run we probably beat Chicago. If anything it would give the Wings someone to win it for, assuming the right pieces come together 

12 games into the season Alfie will be out with a season/career ending injury for us - this is how these things go. See Modano and Sammy. We just hand out retirement cheques here.

#113 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

so you guys prefer Clarkson for 7 years at 6 million per than Alfredsson?

#114 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Those of you sharting your collective pants do realize that Alfie scored as many points as Brunner, you know the guy that everyone is freaking out over the fact Holland hasn't signed?

He also was a PPG player in the post season, and he played all but one game this season.

OR... are you just freaking out because of his age?

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#115 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

So does everyone hate this because of the age, possible term, or money?  I guess because (I haven't watched ANY Sens games) I was always under the impression Alferdsson was still decent.  If so for a year contract, I don't think 3.5 would be bad.

reading other boards, it seems that Bos fans and Sen fans still want him, so take that for what it's worth as well. 

My concern is that, at $3.5, the Red Wings could sign someone to bring the youth, size, or speed the team needs. There's nothing wrong with Alfredsson as a signing, but that puts a dent in what's left and yes, age, money, and possible term are all concerns for any player who's over 35.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#116 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

It's "official": he's not returning to Ottawa, will sign with us or with Boston. Those in-the-know think it's the former.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#117 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,139 posts

Alfie still is a good player.  Looking just at him coming to the Wings, there's a lot to like.

For me if he's a one of a few moves, then this could be great.  If this is Holland's only move, then not so much.  

Potentially losing Flip and Brunner and signing a 40 year old Alfredsson and relying on Sammy and Bertuzzi going forward.

We'll see how it all shakes out though. 

#118 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

so you guys prefer Clarkson for 7 years at 6 million per than Alfredsson?

No I prefer letting Nyquist and Tatar and our other 50 signed forwards have a chance.

#119 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Those of you sharting your collective pants do realize that Alfie scored as many points as Brunner, you know the guy that everyone is freaking out over the fact Holland hasn't signed?

He also was a PPG player in the post season, and he played all but one game this season.

OR... are you just freaking out because of his age?

Yes!

#120 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

12 games into the season Alfie will be out with a season/career ending injury for us - this is how these things go. See Modano and Sammy. We just hand out retirement cheques here.

And if he doesn't get hurt, it is a win for Detroit. Exactly how does Alfie hurt the team if he went on injured reserve? Any signing has a risk. This is a short term fix that will prevent the team from losing the kids down the road.